• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Suggestions for Ground Cover for gear

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:22 PM

The majority of diving in the Pacific Northwest is shore diving. As a result, we are often gearing up behind or to the side of vehicles which means our gear may be laying on the ground. The ground is rarely paved so we are dealing with rocks, dirt, and sand. I'm curious what those of you out have found as the best (and easy to pack) ground cover to better protect your gear and your feet. Plastic tarps are ok and fairly easy to rinse, but they are often big, easily muddied, and upturn with the wind.

So I am looking for something better. Any suggestions?
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 drifter

drifter

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

When I moved from a truck to an Escape, I kept the rubber mat bed liner and cut it down so that it fits into the back and protects the carpet from the dogs and wet gear. When diving locally, we pull it out to get geared up on. They don't fold up very well, but you don't have any of the blowing away problems and rocks don't poke through them.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
"Not all those who wander are lost."
~JRR Tolkien

#3 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

I like using a portable workbench like a Black and Decker workmate. It has split slats so there is a gap which holds the tank. Then its easier to get geared up with the tank raised rather than on the ground.

#4 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:39 PM

how about a pieceof canvas cotton or poly blend. folds up and less slick than plastic, home depot or lowes may stock it.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#5 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

I have used Astroturf or synthetic putting green mattes in the past. It washes off easily and folds up compactly.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#6 dolphinswimmer

dolphinswimmer

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Cert Level:adv open water, nitrox, recsue
  • Logged Dives:300++

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:27 AM

I found using the straw beach mats work great. they roll up and nothing sticks to them and only cost about $5. I did see at Dick's Sporting goods a straw tatami mat that is 60'' X 78" ground cover which folds up for about $20 (I maybe be picking that one one)
Trip Sign-up Questions? Contact us at trips@singledivers.com
General forum questions? Contact our helpful Angels or Charlies

#7 Dantheengineer

Dantheengineer

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

You just might consider an army surplus poncho (AKA Basha or Bivi tent) http://www.the-outdo.../shopscr78.html
Light and easy to fold (slightly heavier gauge that most plastic sheet), it should have eyelets for tent pegs on the corners and sides to stop it lifting in wind (UK pattern anyway), is water proof and relatively hard wearing and of little cost. I don't doubt there's a US equivalent. (or ten! in differing colours of DPM)

I love mine! (But look like a bit of a prat wearing it!......Kind of like a large, damp Batfink. Just don't attempt the "Your bullets cannot harm me. My wings are like a shield of steel" dance with the twin set on......)

Food for thought anyway......
Regards
Dan Posted Image

Bahamas....Expulsis Piratis - Restituta Commercia Posted Image

There is no spoon.

#8 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

But look like a bit of a prat wearing it!......

Well that will be perfect for me then :D
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users