• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY....2013-02: Maldives Feb 20-Mar 2, 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
239 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:27 PM

Hey gang...its official we have our Maldives dates LOCKED IN!! The date has slipped a bit BUT the NEW DATE is superb!!!

We'll be traveling to the lushious Maldives in Feb 2013...specifically:

Destination: Central & Southern A Itinerary Male - Kaadedhdhoo
Trip Dates: 20th February - 2nd March 2013
Cruise Cost: 2,600 Euro/pax

LIST OF THOSE PREMIERS WANTING ADVANCE NOTICE OF WHEN THIS TRIP OPENS UP AND 7 DAYS ADVANCE BOOKING INCLUDING PREMIER ONLY DISCOUNTS & SPECIALS...Membership Does Have REWARDS!!!

0. Kamala aka WreckWench
1. Erica aka TXAggieDiver
2. Bill aka ScubaTex
3. Tray aka scrappykidz
4. Debra aka deb4diving
5. Harry aka Divengolf
6. Jerry aka Jerrymxz
7. Tina aka libra89
8. Fred aka ev780
9. Nesher
10. Elisabeth aka Lady Liz
11. Steve aka aviddiver
12. Jim aka UPDiver
13. John aka BJ MathPro
14. Ellen aka TCdamsel
15. Claudia aka poppi
16. Susi aka Susiq
17. Marc aka Muktuk
18. Michele aka tia126
19. Mike aka coziac
20. Susan aka Resqdew
21. Charles aka DoctorB
22. Dave aka DaveL
23. Amy aka AnemoneAmy
24. Leslie aka Sharklover
25. Diane ala Letsdive07
26. Scott aka noshirtnoshoes
27. Cindy aka Sundancediver
28. Tom aka Spacediver
29. Kathy aka HoustonAngelfish
30. Donna aka ScubaDonna
31. Heather aka Seaseer
32. Joan aka MetriRN
33. Kerry aka VeryKerry
34. Kara aka rhodyrx99
35. Michiko aka suntrooper
36. Que aka Sea Urchin
37. Steve aka soonerdiver
38. Gabrielle aka sunshinediver

Siren

Only offer 10 night itineraries and can't be flexible on that. The itinerary offers a
wider area than most other boats sailing in the Maldives as it starts in Male
and end elsewhere - so it can visit more sites :-).

Here are links to Siren's itineraries below:

Central and Southern Route
January to April 10 day 10 night

Our central/southern itinerary takes you from Male to the atolls of Felidhe, Mulaku, Thaa and Huvadhoo. There are numerous deep channels or Kandus to dive all offering divers the opportunity to observe large pelagics such as hammerhead, white tip and grey reef sharks. Along with schools of giant trevally, jacks and tuna, whilst eagle rays are commonly sighted. We visit a variety of walls and coral gardens and there are also plenty of opportunities for macro critter hunting.

Central and Southern A

http://www.worldwide...ral_and_souther
n_a_10_nights.pdf'

All trips with 'A' start in Male, trips 'B' end in Male - itineraries are in
reverse.

Below is a link to the cabin layout but the cabins are also described below:

http://www.worldwide...y_maldives_sire
n_deck_layouts_numbered.jpg

Cabin 1 - fixed double and 1 single
Cabin 2 & 3- twin
Cabin 4 & 5 twin or convert to double
Cabin 6 & 7 can be triple - but offered as twin occupancy

Airfare Options

Listed below are some of the options for flying to Male, Republic of Maldives. Please check online or with your travel agent for pricing and schedule information.

Singapore Airlines:

San Francisco via Hong Kong or Seoul and then Singapore to Male
Los Angeles via Singapore to Male

Emirates Airlines:
New York to Dubai then to Male
Houston to Dubai then Male
Toronto to Dubai then Male
Los Angeles to Dubai then Male
San Francisco to Dubai then Male
Sao Paulo, Brazil to Dubai then Male
Connections from many European cities (London, Frankfurt, Paris, Madrid, Rome and many more via Dubai)

Malaysian Airlines:
Los Angeles to Kuala Lumpur then Male

Others:
British Airways from Gatwick
Swiss Air from Zurich
Condor from Frankfurt (1-2 times weekly)
Bangkok airways from Bangkok
Sri Lankan Airlines from many Asian and European cities (good connections)
Eurofly from Milan
Qatar airways from Doha, Qatar- many connections
Oman Air via Oman and Colombo
XL charter flight from Paris (1-2 times weekly)
Air France Charter flights from Paris
TransAero from Moscow (2 times weekly)
Monarch from Gatwick (1-2 times weekly)
Indian Airlines from Bangalore and Thiruvananthapuram
Neos from Milan and Rome

Packages Include:

* 10 nights/11 days aboard the vessel
* 3 meals daily, plus between-dive snacks
* Up to 4 dives daily
* Towels, linen, etc.
* Use of tanks, weights and belts
* All air fills
* Same day transfers
* Good & services tax
* Non-alcoholic beverages and 2 glasses of beer or wine with dinner

Packages Do Not Include:

* Rental, instruction, nitrox and retail charges
* Crew gratuities
* Trip cancellation & Dive insurance
* Port/hotel taxes

Maldives Diving

Your underwater adventures in the Maldives will encompass sea mounts filled with marine life species found few other places.

All dives in the Maldives are less than 100 feet in depth. A number of the dives are on sea mounts which rise from a bottom to a coral-encrusted, somewhat flat top which is usually between 10 and 50 feet. Dives, which are done from a large, well-equipped tender called a dhoni, are similar to wall dives as they are done around the circumference of the sea mount. All dives are led by a guide and often start between 70-80 feet. You then work your way up the wall of the sea mount until reaching the top. Often the safety stop is done at the top of these sea mounts, which allows the divers to continue diving during the safety stop.

Frog fishThe reefs of the Maldives are teeming with life and divers encounter many different species found in few other places. There are lion fish, anemone fish, octopus as well as many species of moray eels. The Maldives are also known for the big animals. Whale sharks, mantas, and dolphins are often seen and sea turtles are seen on almost every dive. It's not unusual to find sleeping white tip reef sharks during the day dives and then see them hunting at night. The dive guides are very good at finding rare creatures like blue ribbon eels, frog fish and scorpion fish. The coral reefs in the Maldives are healthy and colorful with schools of beautiful tropical fish in abundance.

RayDiving with Mantas, wreck dives and very exciting channel dives are also offered during the week. The Manta cleaning stations tend to be over a flat, sandy bottom with small patches of coral. There are several wreck dives offered which are quite different from the reef dives. The wrecks of the Maldives are small, yet covered with life. In addition to the coral growth divers may find colorful nudibranchs, lion fish, leaf fish and mantis shrimps on the wrecks. The channel dives are in a current where divers "fly" over the reef as the tide goes through a channel, a truly exhilarating experience!

Join us for this unique opportunity to dive the Maldive Islands, with over 26 atolls spread over 90,000 square kilometers in the Indian Ocean!
  • susiq likes this

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:07 AM

Hey gang...I am SERIOUSLY looking at Maldives again for 2012. I am looking at either Explorer Ventures or Siren. Both have great itineraries, good pricing and great crew.

Here are some options...any input from our members?

<snip>

You are going to bankrupt me aren't you?
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:34 AM

Anybody know what the USD to Euro conversion is?
Posted Image

#4 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:18 PM

Here it is.

http://finance.yahoo...SD;to=EUR;amt=1

Edited by ev780, 15 December 2010 - 12:19 PM.

"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#5 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

As of now, one dollar is about 75 cents in euro, or one euro is about $1.33. There is potential for some fluxuation in the value of the dollar in the next year versus the euro, so those numbers could be a lot different in 6-12 months. Ed

Anybody know what the USD to Euro conversion is?

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

Thanks, guys! That helps put the Siren into USD perspective, and the Explorer Venture site lists prices in USD.
Posted Image

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:16 PM

Sorry gang...that is how it was given to me and I forgot to convert in my haste to get this info out there.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#8 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:10 PM

I'm seriously interested in principle, especially if the first company (Siren) is chosen. I've already dived the area accessible in a week from Male.

All indications are that the Euro is going to rise significantly against the US Dollar over the coming months. It would be a good idea to lock in the Euro price as soon as possible.

#9 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:05 PM

I like the looks of the Siren. I would be interested in this trip. I also like the fact that the Siren has free nitrox rather than the extra charge that EV has.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:08 PM

Siren has BEAUTIFUL boats and this one is the ONLY one that has 2 beds per cabin in ALL cabins.

The drawback will be the euro...while the euro price may be locked in the exchg rate will not be which is the main downside.

formerly...

#11 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:17 PM

Siren has BEAUTIFUL boats and this one is the ONLY one that has 2 beds per cabin in ALL cabins.

The drawback will be the euro...while the euro price may be locked in the exchg rate will not be which is the main downside.

It would seem to me that if the boat were guaranteed a full booking that they should be able to work with you in locking in a rate that reflects the exchange at the time of the booking. If one were to pay in full today at the current exchange rate, they would be bound to that in 2012. If they want the business and a full charter they should be willing to commit to a price.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:21 PM

Jim businesses are HARD UP for business these days but no one will lock in an exchange rate unless you pay for the boat in advance. :(

That doesn't mean I won't try...just want you all to know that exchg rates go both ways...if the euro falls we get it cheaper. If it goes up...its more expensive. 2012 is a long ways off...

I hope to know shortly! kamala

formerly...

#13 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

Kamala,

You know more about these boats than I do. I have not had that experience. When ever I have paid a deposit, it has locked in a price. I paid the deposit on the boat in Png almost a year in advance and they honored the price even though the exchange rate was in their favor. I spoke with the owner of the boat about it while on the trip and he told me that he has learned over the years that he can fill his boat consistently by doing this. Just saying... I would not be inclined to do business with an operation that would not lock in a price....

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:26 PM

Again some vessels...perhaps the ones that will be in business in 2 years...do not vary in their business practices especially if they do not rely exclusively on the US market. Siren is quite attractive because their client base is VERY diversified and they are not financially hurting like many operators are.

Also keep in mind most experts think the euro will vary as low as parity to the dollar to as much of $1.50 so perhaps the best option would be to get the trip open for booking ASAP and let divers BUY INTO THE EXCHANGE RATE THEY WANT.

So in other words if you want to pay for the trip when the exchg rate is $1.30 then you can. If someone wants to wait to see if it goes down they can do that.

Again if the euro drops...we will not be happy if we are locked in at $1.30. On the other hand if it goes up we'll be happy.

So you take your chances and with this trip being 2 years out... I think the best option we'll have is to lock into your rate as you buy your trip. This will allow those to lock in when they think they have a good exchg rate.

formerly...

#15 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

Jim,

I booked a trip on a couple of different boats out of Australia a number of years ago. For ease of sake, I will say that each trip was 3000 Australian dollars. I paid in three installments. Each payment was for 1000 Ausy dollars and went on my credit card. The exchange rate fluxuated over the months that I paid the bill, and I saw the cost in US dollars when I checked my statements. There was minimal movement in the exchange rate at that time, so I did not worry about it. In looking at other trips, I was told the same situation applied. If a company is willing to forgo the movement in exchange rates, they will give you the quote in US dollars. Otherwise, they will apply the current rate at the time money is paid, and that is what your costs will be. That has been my experience. Ed

Kamala,

You know more about these boats than I do. I have not had that experience. When ever I have paid a deposit, it has locked in a price. I paid the deposit on the boat in Png almost a year in advance and they honored the price even though the exchange rate was in their favor. I spoke with the owner of the boat about it while on the trip and he told me that he has learned over the years that he can fill his boat consistently by doing this. Just saying... I would not be inclined to do business with an operation that would not lock in a price....

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users