• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY....2013-02: Maldives Feb 20-Mar 2, 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
239 replies to this topic

#226 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

IMPORTANT TRIP UPDATE:

While we are waiting for the final contract from Singapore Air let me explain how the air contract will work.

1. I need 10 people on the contract (we will have one contract per trip) in order for it to be a contract.
2. If we do not get 10 people we pay a cancellation penalty on every spot we do not fill AND the air will be revalued at 'scheduled air prices' which means the going rate whenever we cancel the contract. Once we get the contract we will have until Aug 27th to bail without penalty.
3. The contract air is locked in regardless of what happens to the price of tickets... the only part not locked in is the taxes and fees. These are not locked in until we ticket. Therefore we want to determine how many people will be using the contract ASAP so we can cancel or ticket thereby saving money.
4. For the contract to be valid we only need 1 leg to be common so you can have a different return i.e. you can do a side tour after the trip or go onto Lembeh and as long as you have the LAX to MALE flight in common...then we are set.
5. Unfortunately we can not upgrade the contract seats prior to departure but you may be able too at check in... I will check more into this.
6. Contract air is usually $500 to $600 cheaper than scheduled air as they do not have mileage awards on these tickets and they in theory do less work i.e. 10+ tickets booked at once vs 10 individual tickets. (This was more of a savings in the days before the internet but air contracts are part of the old legacy air days anyway!)

HOWEVER I have requested to know how much more the contract will be if the miles count and I know that everyone desires mileage credit these days. NOTE that the prices I initially quoted which were $500 to $600 less than scheduled air were for non-miles accruing flights so the price for a contract where the miles accrue/count will be higher.

HERE IS THE TRICK... I think ALL the tickets have to be either miles or non-miles on the contract but I am checking that too. Ideally you could choose either option but I am not sure they allow that.

And finally... in the old days you had to have the carrier issue your add-on fares so you could have your tickets connected meaning you could check your bags all the way thru vs having to collect them in lAX and recheck them. It cost more to do it this way, but saved on time and ensured that if you bags were delayed the airlines knew that their final destination was Male and not LAX.

In today's world of travel not only is it a lot cheaper to book your own add on tickets as separate stand alone tickets...you can easily have them tied to your international flights by showing a copy of your flight itinerary when you check in. The only caveat... treat that first domestic flight as part of your international check in process and allow MORE TIME for check in so your agent can do this great service for you. If you are cutting your flight close they will often tell you they can't do it as it does take time and you did not give them enough time to do the favor for you. So show up early and save money and time knowing your bags are checked all the way thru... OR check them only to LAX so you can eyeball them and KNOW they made it that far and then recheck them to Male.

In all cases allow at least enough time for 1 full back up flight to reach LAX so if you bags were delayed you still have at least one more flight option to get them before we leave for Male.

So please let us know your thoughts... go with the air contract or let everyone buy their own tickets????

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#227 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

People are starting to get to know me

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech
  • Logged Dives:2312

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

IMPORTANT TRIP UPDATE:
So please let us know your thoughts... go with the air contract or let everyone buy their own tickets????

I am okay with buying my own ticket, but I will do whatever the group desires.

#228 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

IMPORTANT TRIP UPDATE:

I am okay with buying my own ticket, but I will do whatever the group desires.

Thank you! Usually the contract is the way to go but if we do not have enough wanting it then I won't do it. However that means air could be really ugly if we don't fill the trip shortly after opening it up!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#229 Seabreeze

Seabreeze

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Diver
  • Logged Dives:over 300

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

Hi, Can you include me on the premier list of those interested in the Maldives trip? It sounds wonderful.

#230 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

If you are able to secure the contract, I am sure that both Stu and I would like to go that route. Can you also please add him to the interested list? Thanks.

Thank you! Usually the contract is the way to go but if we do not have enough wanting it then I won't do it. However that means air could be really ugly if we don't fill the trip shortly after opening it up!

#231 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

They sent us the no miles contract and now I'm looking for the mileage counts contract. Hoping it arrives this week so we can open up asap! You and Stu are on the list! Kamala

formerly...

#232 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

AIR CONTRACT UPDATE:

Great news... the air contract should be finalized in the next 1-2 days which means we'll open this trip as soon as we get the contract in hand. The pricing for the round trip air from LAX to MALE with miles (meaning you can count the miles towards frequent flyer programs) should be $100 more than the non-mileage rate of $1555.

Also we will have to choose the mileage rate or the non-mileage rate and we can not mix the two on the contract. And finally I am leaning towards doing the contract as the rates are much better than scheduled air right now BUT WE NEED 10 PEOPLE TO DO THE AIR.

So should I discount the trip price with air by say $200 meaning if you take the contract you will pay my net price for the trip and the net air or if you do not take the air contract you will pay $200 over the net trip price? Or should I offer everyone net pricing on the trip to be competitive with the horrific crash of the euro and just limit the first 10 sign ups to people doing the air contract and then offer the remaining 4 spots to those not doing the contract????

You tell me while we await the final paperwork to arrive on the contract. :thankyou:

formerly...

#233 soonerdiver

soonerdiver

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveMaster
  • Logged Dives:Several hundred, thousands un-logged.

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

I guess counting the mileage would be worth an extra $100. even though I haven't gotten enough miles to do any good. Singapore airlines are part of the Star Alliance so it should count on United's program.

So the contract price is only for the 1st 10 people?

Been watching Shark Week and I can't belive we pay good money to get in the water with those killing machines:)

#234 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

The contract air price is for any number we book but a min of 10 people. If I do the contract we have to fill it or we could lose out big time. :( This means people with miles and wanting to do bus class etc will not be on the contract and we only have 14 spots on the entire boat. So if we go the contract route its pretty much all or nothing.

So my choices are only accept the first 10 bookings if they are doing the air contract or reward people for doing the sir by charging less for the trip if they do the air.

What are your thoughts????

And yes the mileage price being only $100 more is pretty good!

formerly...

#235 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

I'll do the air contract if that is what you'd like us to do!

The contract air price is for any number we book but a min of 10 people. If I do the contract we have to fill it or we could lose out big time. :( This means people with miles and wanting to do bus class etc will not be on the contract and we only have 14 spots on the entire boat. So if we go the contract route its pretty much all or nothing.

So my choices are only accept the first 10 bookings if they are doing the air contract or reward people for doing the sir by charging less for the trip if they do the air.

What are your thoughts????

And yes the mileage price being only $100 more is pretty good!

#236 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

Contract price from LAX to Male sounds good, I am interested. Having the miles is a nice option, but doubt if I would use them since it's not with a program that I usually use. Maybe this would be enough miles to actually use in the future. Either way is OK.

I'll make my own arrangements to arrive in LAX the day before the flight leaves, then I know I have my luggage and will be there on time.

Susan

#237 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

IMPORTANT TRIP UPDATE:

Hey gang...the Maldives is NOW OPEN!!! Due to some issues with the contract we are NOT going with the air contract so while I strip all the air contract references from the booking post...if you are a current premier member then you can start signing up NOW via the trip announcement pm that was sent out. All info will be transfered to the main thread once I open it this afternoon but I wanted to let members start planning accordingly.

The price remains what we posted with a $100 early payment discount. Early booking will go for 2 weeks instead of 1 week and we have posted a number of flight options so that you can get the dates correctly! AND you will be entered to win a number of FREE DIVER GPS's. :cool1:

Upgrade now and post that you've upgraded so that we can add you to the trip PM until we can post the trip details in the new trip thread. :thankyou:

p.s. The flights via Singapore Air are part of Star Alliance and the flights via Emirates is part of One World Alliance. BOTH have excellent options!

formerly...

#238 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

I was watching CNBC today, and saw something about a site called retailmenot.com. In poking around the site briefly, I saw that they have a travel section. One of the offers was a 3% discount on Emirates flights. I know nothing of the site other than what I just mentioned, but figured I would pass it along as it might save someone a few dollars.

#239 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

Cool! :thankyou: Ed!

IMPORTANT TRIP UPDATE:

This trip is OPEN for booking but the details are in a pm. If you have upgraded your membership I can add you to the PM. Part of the trip posting code was corrupted and I'm working to fix it. Its taking a bit longer and I'm still packing getting ready to leave tomorrow. So let us know and we'll add you to the TRIP PM until the trip code can be fixed and posted here.

We've also found air for as little as $1420... that's a great price! kamala

formerly...

#240 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

This trip is NOW OPEN HERE for booking!

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users