• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY....2013-02: Maldives Feb 20-Mar 2, 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
239 replies to this topic

#31 Breezy

Breezy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

I'm assuming that a package cost exclusion is also RT airfare?

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

The pricing that has been discussed so far does not include airfare.

Welcome to SD Breezy!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#33 Breezy

Breezy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

Thanks!

Sorry if I missed it somewhere.
Trying to get used to the forum layout and following the flow of the posts.

#34 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

First off the forum format for running trips is a hybred at best and falls short in many ways! LOL! And while it usually falls short, it does offer some value that you could not find in any other format so once you figure it out, it has some advantages like a running tally of everything related to the trip, a single point of contact, the ability to ask questions about a trip and see the replies to yours and other people's questions, etc.

We are in the early discussion stage right now for 2012 and in the final discussion stages or in most cases the dates have been locked in for all our trips in 2011. For 2011 the trip details are still being finalized NOW. I have so many trips to get ready for the new year its a daunting task so we let our members know WHERE we are going say in the case of 2011 and let them start discussing it so they can be notified when we finally get all the details locked in. As the discussion evolves I can sometimes add add'l info like price or routing etc. while its still a work in progress.

Or as in the case of 2012 we are still in the discussion phase of figuring out where people want to go so as soon as I finish 2011 I can start locking in 2012.

When you run 18+ trips a year the cycle never ends! ;)

So no worries on figuring it all out. We have no problems with answering questions once or many times.

If you want to see where we are going in 2011 check out the link in my signature or along the top of the forums. -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#35 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hello Kamala,

As this is one of the ultimate dive destinations, I am interested in going if possible. I have done some research myself, to try to figure out which itinerary interests me the most. My research did not make it much easier, as they all seem very interesting. I will mention a couple of points that I seem to have taken from my research. Ari Atoll is the most mentioned spot for shark encounters. That is visited on the central route, between April and December. The best time for shark and other large critter action there is between January and March, due to an increase in the currents, so an early April booking there should be good. The Northern route has a stop at Baa Atoll. I recalled seeing a very interesting story about Manta and whale shark encounters in that area. I did a search, and found it again. Scubaski may have been the person that initially found this, and if so, give him the credit. As the Northern route goes to that atoll, I assume they do a stop at the area mentioned in the video, if allowed. It also seems that there is a plankton build up in the Fall, so that is also a good time for mantas and whale sharks. It doesn't really narrow down the choice as to the best time, but maybe some others can express their thoughts as to what they prefer to see while there. Ed

IMPORTANT TRIP UPDATE:

I have all but inked the deal for SIREN which will be only 16 people aboard this luxurious liveaboard.

Now the hard part...WHEN and WHICH Itinerary??

Please give us your input if you have any on time of year and of course which itinerary offering.

Maldives via Liveaboard: S/Y Maldives Siren

The Maldive Islands, officially Republic of Maldives, is an island nation in the Indian Ocean formed by a double chain of twenty-six atolls stretching in a north-south direction off India's Lakshadweep islands. It stands in the Laccadive Sea, about seven hundred kilometers (435 mi) south-west of Sri Lanka. The Maldives is the smallest Asian country in both population and area. With an average ground level of 1.5 metres (4 ft 11 in) above sea level, it is the lowest country on the planet and it is also the country with the lowest highest point in the world, at just 2.3 metres (7 ft 7 in). The warm seas of Maldives have high visibility throughout the year, with water clear enough to see the passing fish as far as fifty metres away at times. Add to that the marvelous formation of over 3000 coral reefs and the free flowing tides of the monsoons. The result of these perfect conditions is the creation of one of the world's richest diving coral reef areas.

Over a thousand species of fish and other underwater creatures inhabit the Maldivian waters. The monsoon tides of the Indian Ocean create a collection of small marine creatures as well as microscopic plant cells. This in turn creates a hub for all kinds of underwater species who gather in these waters lured by the abundance of food. In the Maldives you will get to see everything. From tiny shrimp and groups of colorful swimmers to the magnificent mantas and sharks, a careful eye will give you enough to enrapture you for a lifetime. Worldwide Dive and Sail offers year round diving in the Maldives on board the SY Maldives Siren.

We have four itineraries that take you to the best dive sites on offer at the optimum time dependant on weather and in accordance with the monsoon seasons. We have trips that take you to the far north and other trips that take you to the far south which is only now opening up to liveaboard safaris.

Central Route
April to December - 10 day 10 night

Our Central intinerary brings you Rasdhoo, Ari, Nilhande, Thaa and Laamu atolls. We dive a variety of kandus and thilas for sightings of scalloped hammerheads, grey reef sharks and white tips. Manta and eagle rays are likely around the Nilhande atoll and whalesharks may also be seen here. Schools of fish are the norm with daily sightings of Napoleon wrasse, groupers, snappers, trevally and barracuda. As we cross to Laamu atoll you have the opportunity to see pods of bottlenose dolphin and the occasional Blue whale!

Central and Southern Route
January to April 10 day 10 night

Our central/southern itinerary takes you from Male to the atolls of Felidhe, Mulaku, Thaa and Huvadhoo. There are numerous deep channels or Kandus to dive all offering divers the opportunity to observe large pelagics such as hammerhead, white tip and grey reef sharks. Along with schools of giant trevally, jacks and tuna, whilst eagle rays are commonly sighted. We visit a variety of walls and coral gardens and there are also plenty of opportunities for macro critter hunting.

Northern Route

August and September - 10 day 10 night

A far shorter season the Northern Itinerary brings divers to Rasdhoo, Baa, Lahviyani, Noonu and Shaviyani atolls. However it is the area of Hanifaru Huraa that is worthy of special attention. This small island in the Baa Atoll has an annual plankton bloom that attracts manta rays in their hundreds and whalesharks also come here to feed on the bounty. Also note worthy are the reefs of Komandhoo that have recently been opened to tourism and are only accessible by liveaboard.

Southern Route
January to March - 10 day 10 night

The Southern Itinerary spends 10 days exploring the Huvadhoo atoll in depth. These unspoiled reefs teem with fish life and large pelagics can be seen in the channels as the current passes through. Eagle rays are frequent visitors to many of our sites. However you will also dive some of the shallower lagoons full of a wonderful array of colorful reef fish and some unusual creatures.

• Central and Southern Combo Itinerary alternates the start and finish between Male and Kaadedhdhoo
  • Our Northern Itinerary alternates the start and finish between Male and Hanimaadhoo.
  • Our Central Itinerary alternates the start and finish between Male and Kadhdoo.
  • And the Southern Itinerary starts from and returns to Kaadedhdhoo

#36 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

Kamala -

Please put me in the 'interested' list for this.

A LDS in Dallas did Siren trips in 2009 and 2010, selling out both in record time! The pics and stories from the trips were fantastic...

UP Diver
:P
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#37 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

Thanks Jim we'll get you on the list!

And a special thank you to Ed for doing some great ground work for us on weather/sea conditions vs critters as we need to choose an itinerary!

formerly...

#38 Elena

Elena

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

Aha... Soup of plankton...

Actually, I already had a chance once to dive in the soup of plankton - and with dozens of manta rays around... That was on the Marquises Islands. May I be frank? - it was not too impressive. You can not even see them properly...Posted Image

Since then, I am always on the side of good visibility, especially in the places where there is a lot of other great things to see, like in the Maldives. Sure, this is my personal preference only... Posted Image

Let's see what others want.

Elena

#39 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:41 AM

Elena...first off personal preferences are EXACTLY what we are looking for! Secondly if it is a sea of plankton soup I'm with you. If its a bit hazy then that's fine. Its rare you'll get mantas and whalesharks unless there is food in the water so there will be some tradeoff...the trick is how much.

If I read what he found correctly it seems that clearer water can also equal more currents. So part of the trade off may be skill levels and if the boat allows drift diving to compensate for the currents. If they do then currents are no problem.

So if anyone else feels excited enough to do some more research PLEASE do so! This is what makes this site so special...at the end of the day it is a complilation of all of us! :respect:

formerly...

#40 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

I read a description of some of the dive sites. There seems to be a lot of drift diving. Some are described as drift along the wall, until you get to the cut in the wall, then turn into the cut and head toward shallower water. Other seem to start at one end of a cut, and end on the other end of the cut. Ed

Elena...first off personal preferences are EXACTLY what we are looking for! Secondly if it is a sea of plankton soup I'm with you. If its a bit hazy then that's fine. Its rare you'll get mantas and whalesharks unless there is food in the water so there will be some tradeoff...the trick is how much.

If I read what he found correctly it seems that clearer water can also equal more currents. So part of the trade off may be skill levels and if the boat allows drift diving to compensate for the currents. If they do then currents are no problem.

So if anyone else feels excited enough to do some more research PLEASE do so! This is what makes this site so special...at the end of the day it is a complilation of all of us! :respect:

#41 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Thanks again Ed!

Also Ed found some info on when rainy season is so we'd probably avoid that. Hopefully he'll share that and/or others will share what they have found.

We REALLY need to lock in dates NOW while we have lots of choices and so people can plan!

I am also interested in dates/times people can NOT do this trip who are very interested in it as well! :thankyou:

formerly...

#42 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

Based on what I found, June and July are the worst months for rain, followed by December. May is called unstable as far as the weather. The strongest currents are found from December through March. With the currents, you get the clearer water, especially on the in coming tides. August through Mid November has lesser currents, and more plankton. Not the soup, but a reduction in vis. More current equals more sharks......more plankton equals more mantas and whale sharks. Of course, just as it is with weather in every location, this is the norm, not guaranteed. Ed

Thanks again Ed!

Also Ed found some info on when rainy season is so we'd probably avoid that. Hopefully he'll share that and/or others will share what they have found.

We REALLY need to lock in dates NOW while we have lots of choices and so people can plan!

I am also interested in dates/times people can NOT do this trip who are very interested in it as well! :thankyou:

#43 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Ed that is great...anyone want to start suggesting their preferred timing/itinerary?

formerly...

#44 soonerdiver

soonerdiver

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveMaster
  • Logged Dives:Several hundred, thousands un-logged.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

February and March are good months to go somewhere warm.

Also currents mean more soft coral which is not a bad thing.

Steve

#45 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:28 AM

I am interested in this trip but I can NOT go between mid October and the second Monday of Jan. I also can not go in June. Other wise, I am pretty open

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users