• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

I am evil!!!!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:12 AM

I have such a nasty streak!! I am so ashamed I had to do a little public confession.

25 years ago I met and fell in love with someone who left me to marry someone else. Absolutely the worst broken heart I have ever had before or since!! And I have had many!! Well, through the magic of Facebook we reconnected last night. Lo and behold the guy she left me for turned into a raging alcoholic and abandoned her and their kids. A second husband was not so great either!! She and the kids turned out fine, so all is well. But, I am smirking just a little and I really don't feel that bad about it. It was 25 years ago, we were young and there is no way of knowing "what if" or why fate did what she did, but I do feel a little vindicated. I know it is a little evil and a little bit wrong, but DAMN, some times its feels so good to be a little evil. :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Anybody else ever have this happen?
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

Um... some people call that the classic proverb of "What goes around...comes around".

I too have pined over many situations that I was crushed passed me by only to find out later that some times the best prayers are the unanswered ones. Or the best things I did in life were NOT to walk thru a particular door despite wanting too.

So while you may feel a bit vindicated...and she probably would have been better off with you...how do you know you would have been better off with her? You should be thankful too that your lives were not entangled after all.

Just a different perspective... thanks for sharing! I just know this has happened to MANY people!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

It is called Schadenfreude and you are not the only one to experience it.

Seeing someone down after they cross you in some way is satisfying on some level. I know you are not alone.

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#4 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:08 AM

It's just human nature to enjoy a little feeling of "ha! ha!". Been there. Doesn't make me bad or evil, though. Just small of me.
Posted Image

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

The definition you give is too generic...meaning someone who takes pleasure in the misfortune of others. I know Fred is NOT that kind of person otherwise he'd not be qualified for the job he does where he is surrounded by the misfortune of others all the time.

In this case he is ONLY happy that she was NOT better off without him as she expected she would be.

I see that as totally different as its not an ongoing state but rather a situational state.

More like Tammy said... being a bit small...a bit vindicated but not evil and not a bad person.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#6 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

I do NOT wish ill on anyone. It was just a little vindication as someone posted. If she was doing poorly I would never have posted my comment. She is doing well and we are reconnecting.

I will talk your ear off about fate, and "all things happen for a reason" kind of stuff so I am not at all bitter. Who knows, I might have been the loser if I had taken a different path and ended up with her. I always said I was one or two bad decisions away from being at the freeway off ramp like Ted Williams. Although I do NOT have a golden voice. (Like the cross thread there?)

Just a little smirk and a flash of guilt for feeling it. Besides we were in our very early twenties and at that age what do you know. The first real broken heart is the one you remember the most.
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

Truth is I think we all have felt this way from time to time. My first boss turned out to be the biggest jerk in the world. He was CONSTANTLY riding his employees hard...but he seemed to ride/rag on me harder. So hard in fact that many felt he was abusive.

He was very smart and talented but short and it really bothered him. So whenever he was to have *a meeting* with me I always wore my strongest power suit with a bright red blouse and bright red high heels. I practically towered over him when I wore that outfit and the was the intent...to level the playing field more.

After awhile his *mentor* could no longer protect him and he finally had too many HR issues to remained employed with a big name company like GE. When he was FINALLY bagged and tagged for sexual harrassment...I took an EXTREME amount of pleasure in seeing *justice* done.

He treated me poorly and he got what he deserved or at least what he sowed.

In Fred's case his ex treated him poorly and got what she sowed. No difference...not bad...just a momentary moment of recognition and perhaps a bit of a *smirk*.

In my case...there was no feeling of guilt... in my case my ex-boss deserved what he got.

formerly...

#8 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

I guess I'm pretty fortunate. The few who left me are not of any concern (except the mother of my son, and she only because of that). The rest parted as friends (most were friends to begin with) and I have pleasant thoughts associated with them and see most on occasion.

However, I can certainly understand such feelings and think it is only human to have them. Not evil, human.

#9 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

Always remember that living well is the best revenge.

Rick

:usflag:

#10 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

No you are not evil. The hardest part is the forgiving and I'm sure you did that at one point after the heartbreak eased. We all have someone that we never forget. Sometimes we are lucky enough to find out what happened to that person. With FB it happens a lot more frequently now. As for the worst heartbreak in my life...I do not wish him ill. I don't hate him but I don't have any use for him either!! Ha!! Would I feel a little "smirk" if I heard things were going badly for him...YES I would!! I also think it's sad when you see people take the wrong road. I took many of them myself and I turned out okay!! I think we all have to go through certain things in life to create the person God wants us to be. Proud of my mistakes?? No Way!! Proud of who I have become?? You Bet!!

Hopefully you can enjoy the new found friendship that as adults and through lifes struggles has brought you to NOW!! :cool1:
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

Rick

WELL SAID!!!

formerly...

#12 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

Proud of my mistakes?? No Way!! Proud of who I have become?? You Bet!!

I like this!
  • MarkR likes this
Posted Image

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

Also well said ScubaSis and DrBill! :teeth:

formerly...

#14 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

Living well IS the best revenge. Being happy without that person... I wake up every day thankful for my life and the people in it. I don't wish bad luck on anyone. I might wish that they'd go away and leave me in peace, I might even snap and say something mean. I don't wish bad things for them. Finding out about someone who suffered as a direct result of their own unkind actions enforces my belief in karma.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#15 scrappykidz

scrappykidz

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Board Status:back on the short bus...
  • Cert Level:AOW - new diver
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

Rick

hehehe... I thought about sending my ex a postcard during my month in Costa Rica... thought about it for a second and settled on having another beer instead... :)

...then got busy trying to find karma offsets for my own past...

Edited by scrappykidz, 19 January 2011 - 03:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users