• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2011 Health and Fitness Challenge - Informal

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:53 PM

Well this is the thread starter for our what's become our informal 2011 health and fitness support/challenge thread. As someone else pointed out, since we are into February it was getting kind of old (ha ha) using the 2010 thread. :teeth: If we get more formal I'm sure our fearless leader The Wench :respect: will hook us up with a more official thread but here's a placeholder 'till then....

Edited by Kate P, 07 February 2011 - 09:54 PM.

How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#2 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

***Warning*** Whining:

But we don't have any of the thread over here... :teeth:
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#3 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:21 PM

***Warning*** Whining:

But we don't have any of the thread over here... :teeth:

Well I was wondering why everyone kept posting in 2010 LOL!!! I know change is difficult...
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#4 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

I think part of why I keep continuing to post here is to hold myself accountable... I've got so much support in other ways from SD.com friends on this "getting healthy" journey but it's good to chart progress... so to that end...

It's been three months since the last "slip" with smoking. I don't ever think I'll have it "beat" but I feel like a nonsmoker now!
While working on the above, I've recently hit two big milestones with weight loss... ten more pounds, and it will be the least heavy I've been in decades!

My plan was to get better about working out and I haven't implemented it that to the extent that I intended, so that is my goal for March.

I know there are a lot of other people out there (BC I'm talking with them :cool2: ) who are doing great things with their health, let's hear your progress!

#5 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:06 AM

Good for you Kate! Another 10 and not smoking are wonderful accomplishments. :respect:

I've been doing the C25K running program as recommended by Tina (thanks!) It's the couch to 5K program. I had to take a couple weeks off after starting so I repeated week 3 to get back into it. I love running outside especially when our temps break freezing, it feels so spring-like. My goal is to run 3 times a week, strength train once, yoga once. All of this is in prep for RAGBRAI in 139 days. There's a lottery to get into the ride but we signed up with a team that says they always get in. It won't be long before I'm biking my rear off. I hope to get 1000 miles on my bike before then. :dance:
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#6 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

Kate - I know what you mean I fell off the wagon last month with changing from days to nights and havent been as active as i would like. Good new is i havent gained any weight(30 down, another 30-55 to go) despite not being active, on my nutrition plan and not eating the best. hopefully with the warmer weather i can get back on track and loose the belly and strengthen the muscles in my back.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#7 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:42 AM

Good for you Kate! Another 10 and not smoking are wonderful accomplishments. :respect:

I've been doing the C25K running program as recommended by Tina (thanks!) It's the couch to 5K program. I had to take a couple weeks off after starting so I repeated week 3 to get back into it. I love running outside especially when our temps break freezing, it feels so spring-like. My goal is to run 3 times a week, strength train once, yoga once. All of this is in prep for RAGBRAI in 139 days. There's a lottery to get into the ride but we signed up with a team that says they always get in. It won't be long before I'm biking my rear off. I hope to get 1000 miles on my bike before then. :dance:

Tina told me about that C25k program and I've started looking into it too. The thought of running just one block scares the bejeezus out of me though so I'm still thinking about it. :respect: to both of you!! My knees are bad but I'm not disabled :teeth: so I really should just get off my butt. My weight loss is going to stop soon with out more intense/focused cardio.

Five times a week doing something - again = :respect: . Keep telling us how you are doing!!!!!

#8 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:46 AM

Kate - I know what you mean I fell off the wagon last month with changing from days to nights and havent been as active as i would like. Good new is i havent gained any weight(30 down, another 30-55 to go) despite not being active, on my nutrition plan and not eating the best. hopefully with the warmer weather i can get back on track and loose the belly and strengthen the muscles in my back.

Hey Dan, congrats on the 30 lbs down and at least maintaining!!! I'm down twenty... I don't have a pounds goal, I have a "how I look and feel" goal :teeth: - i guess, I'll know it when I get there! Like you a big part of it is strengthening back (and core) muscles.

It seems like a lot of SDer's are working on their overall health and fitness, it's motivating to me to hear what you all are doing!

#9 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:05 AM

Tina told me about that C25k program and I've started looking into it too. The thought of running just one block scares the bejeezus out of me though so I'm still thinking about it. :respect: to both of you!! My knees are bad but I'm not disabled :teeth: so I really should just get off my butt. My weight loss is going to stop soon with out more intense/focused cardio.

Take Tina's advice - get good shoes. They're well worth the $$ from a store that knows running. I broke my left leg years ago, hardware, a year of rehab thanks to a lousy doctor... without good shoes I could barely walk the next day. Shoes made all the difference.

The program is easy. I'll never be a good runner but I like the portability of it. Consider the podcasts. They're kind of cheesy but I like the cueing.

My dog loves the program. :) If I get on the treadmill he sits in front of it and looks at me like 'I'm so disappointed, we're supposed to be outside.'

#10 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

I just discovered android phones and apps. :wakawaka: What fitness apps are people using?

#11 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:we're supposed to track of that @#!$ ?

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:40 AM

I just discovered android phones and apps. :wakawaka: What fitness apps are people using?

Hey Guys! I just got into running after registering for a 10k on a complete whim. I managed to finish and not come in last but you are right shoes are VERY essential.

I use the runtastic app. It's amazing and FREE. It will track how far you ran, your pace, and the GPS location so you know what path you took. With some additional add-ons and a subscription it can also track your heart rate. I don't use that feature though. I have a body media device that you wear on your arm. It tracks your heart rate, steps, sleep times, and you can enter in your diet on their website and it will tell you if you need to change your diet etc. It costs about $7 a month and the device runs $170 I think but it's been worth it so far. Although now I'm trying to dig myself out of a plateu.

On another note if anyone is in the Baltimore Area I'm doing a Mud Chasers 5k event on April 17th. PM me if your interested in joining me! It should be a blast and entry gets you an after finish beer. :wakawaka:
Make sure you never run out of Erica!

#12 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

Just checking in. It's been 4 months (today or tomorrow, I get confused) since I last sucked on a cancer stick. And I've continued to lose weight - over 10 lbs since I quit smoking. I keep posting here for two reasons - one, to keep myself accountable, bc it would SUCK to slip up and then not be able to post anymore :o and two, because I wouldn't have thought one really could quit smoking and lose weight at the same time without going crazy. In all honesty, I've just started diving a LOT - every other weekend if not more often. and I keep diving in the front of my mind whenever I want to smoke or eat unhealthy. and that is my recipe for success!!! OK, checking out again!

#13 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:58 AM

That's awesome Kate!! Good for you.

TXAD - what body media device do you use? I was just reading up on those yesterday. I've been running using the C25K ap for coaching as prep to a 5K. I also use runkeeper to track the route, time, etc. I like that I can swap it from run to bike to track all my activities.

Edited by lynnlchan, 07 April 2011 - 07:58 AM.

#14 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:we're supposed to track of that @#!$ ?

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:12 PM

That's awesome Kate!! Good for you.

TXAD - what body media device do you use? I was just reading up on those yesterday. I've been running using the C25K ap for coaching as prep to a 5K. I also use runkeeper to track the route, time, etc. I like that I can swap it from run to bike to track all my activities.

I've got the newer one shown on their website but without the bluetooth technology. I researched it and the reviews said that the bluetooth part was not worth the extra money. There are a few girls in my Turbokick class that have the older body buggs and it's basically the same thing (same company just packaged differently). If your interested in one I would recommend ebay. A lot of people seem to buy them and not use them or got them free through a gym membership, etc. I know that I've been lax recently because it seems no matter what I eat or how much I workout the scale says the same number. The device doesn't account for stress!!! Hopefully once life calms down in a few weeks I can give it another go. I've also found that you don't have to wear it all the time. Usually I'll put it on when I work out only and it will estimate my calories for the other time based on a typical non-elevated heart rate and what I have done on the days when I did wear it all day.

The runtastic app also lets you switch from almost anything from running to kayaking, windsurfing, wakeboarding, mountain biking, skiing, etc. Although I'm not sure how it knows where you are swimming or diving considering the phone isn't waterproof? I haven't tried those options yet.
Make sure you never run out of Erica!

#15 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:37 PM

:cheerleader: Congrats Kate on 4 Months! :cheerleader:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users