• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

SLR Camera wanted, please advise

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Scubawishes

Scubawishes

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Certification
  • Logged Dives:200ish

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:30 AM

Hello fellow diver & photographer,

I love taking photos underwater but am never truly satisfied with my compact point and shoot camera results. I've gotten good shots over the years, but overall I am frustrated due to not getting the quality images that I desire. I spend consecutive hours snorkeling when not diving and this is when I have the time and patience to really strive for close up photos (I wish I could say macro, but unfortunately that doesn't happen due to my camera lens capabilities).

It has taking much time & saving, but alas I am ready to own an SLR camera. I will need everything…the camera, housing and strobes. The big question is what SLR camera with underwater housing compatibilities to you recommend? I would like to get the most bang for my buck and would like to spend under 2 grand for the camera. I don't have home owners insurance and would like advise on getting it insured too.

I need to move fast on this because I would like to own all of this for my next trip to Bonaire which is only in 3 weeks (no lectures on my lack of foresight please :P:P such is my life.). I am prepared for the learning curve due to not having time to tinker with it prior to the trip.

Your help is appreciated!
:thankyou:

~K

#2 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:58 AM

Why do you think spending 2K+ on a SLR and housing will give you beter pictures?? EveryThing is more complicated!!! Maybe a few hundred spent at lets say Cathy Church's photo class in Grand Cayman would be better spent. Just playing Devil's advocate... Good Luck!!!
  • Scubawishes likes this
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#3 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:59 AM

I've seen really good results recently from both the Canon 7D and the Nikon D300S. Both also have HD video. I've heard of excellent results with the Canon T2i, which has the advantage that it's quite a small camera. I'm sure that will also be true of the near-identical T3i. I personally have Canon gear, and I would be a bit wary of the older Nikon cameras, such as the D300S, simply because they may be replaced soon. The Nikon D7000 is new and would probably be a good bet, and that's cheaper than either the Nikon D300S or the Canon 7D. The cheapest of this lot is the Canon T2i/T3i, and in terms of bang for the buck has to be the most attractive option.

Remember that whatever housing you buy will only be usable with that camera, so you want to be sure you'll be able to get another camera if yours dies at any point in the foreseeable future.

If your ceiling for the camera is $2k, each will fall comfortably under that limit. But that's for the bodies only - with the lenses I doubt you'll be able to stay under $2k or even close to it. And of course the housing & strobes will cost an absolute fortune.

Remember that it's not a question of IF your housing will flood, but WHEN. When that happens it's curtains for camera body and attached lens, and if it's an electronic housing for that as well. You may be able to get new electronics for the housing, though in my experience it may well not be economic, but the camera and lens will be rather damp paperweights.

Beware of insurance. I don't know what people's experience of claims is, but I know of several accident claims that the insurers sought to offload onto the owner because (s)he hadn't taken proper measures to avoid or mitigate their loss. I would never take out such insurance without seeing a history of actual claims.

Have you looked at http://wetpixel.com/ ? And there are U/W threads in http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ which you may find more useful, in that you'll get people's subjective views less confused by technical detail. For a quick decision that's what you want.

I'm not sure of the housings, but my first choice would be the T2i/T3i, followed by the D7000. The Canons are significantly cheaper and their lenses are much cheaper, for the same quality.

I should have said - when you add together the camera body, lenses, housing, dome ports (a different one for each lens) and strobes you'll be looking at quite a few thousand $, easily as many as ten. I've never been tempted to go that way because of the risk of flooding - running my dive centre in Belize I have seen WAY too many housings flood. The most value I've ever been tempted to take underwater was a G10 and Canon's own housing. With strobes that was still $1500. And of course it'll all be obsolete rather quickly.

The OP hasn't said what he's coming from, other than "a compact". They vary enormously in their capabilities.

Edited by peterbj7, 23 February 2011 - 07:50 PM.

#4 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:48 PM

I don't know if you've considered it but I have my eye on a Sealife DC1200. I've had the chance to dive one a couple of times and it has very nice capabilities. it does video as well. In my 2psi I think it is a great value. I'm going to buy one before the Truk trip.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#5 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

I have the Sealife DC1000. It takes good pictures but nothing compared with a SLR. It's basically a point and shoot with it's own housing. Good enough for me for now but if I was really serious about it and if I could anyway afford it I would look at a SLR. When you add the strobe to the cost it's gets pretty expensive. And Sealife seems to "update" the camera every year so if and when you flood it, which I have, there is a good chance you will have a housing that you can no longer get a camera for or a replacement camera will cost almost as much as just buying their newest version. (Voice of experience here)

Edited by rkymtwy, 24 February 2011 - 09:27 AM.

#6 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

I have the Sealife DC1000. It takes good pictures but nothing compared with a SLR. It's basically a point and shoot with it's own housing. Good enough for me for now but if I was really serious about it and if I could anyway afford it I would look at a SLR. When you add the strobe to the cost it's gets pretty expensive. And Sealife seems to "update" the camera every year so if and when you flood it, which I have, there is a good chance you will have a housing that you can no longer get a camera for or a replacement camera will cost almost as much as just buying their newest version. (Voice of experience here)

I noticed the same thing. I am guessing they OEM the cameras from asia and change their supplier just about every year. A real pain.

#7 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:56 AM

I always try to dissuade people from buying Sealife and the like. They're just cheap cameras in housings that they market as a "waterproof camera". I'd much rather buy a reputable compact camera that is a good camera in its own right, plus a housing. In terms of value for money it's difficult to beat Canon, but there are other good ones. Olympus comes to mind. Nikon have never really succeeded with compact cameras.

#8 Scubawishes

Scubawishes

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

Why do you think spending 2K+ on a SLR and housing will give you beter pictures?? EveryThing is more complicated!!! Maybe a few hundred spent at lets say Cathy Church's photo class in Grand Cayman would be better spent. Just playing Devil's advocate... Good Luck!!!

Hi Advocate, :P

Indeed a bigger and better camera will be more complicated, but surely eventually I'll get better results than I've had with my Casio Ex-1000. It has served me well, but want to get better images and it has such limited capabilities.

You're right though, I should take a photography class, but I'd rather do that not during my vacation. Years ago I was bit by the diving bug while on vacation in St. Lucia all because of that dang wonderful free PADI into to scuba course. I spent the rest of my vacation getting certified and it was not as vacation like as I would have liked.

I'll take the luck, thanks!

~K

#9 Scubawishes

Scubawishes

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

I've seen really good results recently from both the Canon 7D and the Nikon D300S. Both also have HD video. I've heard of excellent results with the Canon T2i, which has the advantage that it's quite a small camera. I'm sure that will also be true of the near-identical T3i. I personally have Canon gear, and I would be a bit wary of the older Nikon cameras, such as the D300S, simply because they may be replaced soon. The Nikon D7000 is new and would probably be a good bet, and that's cheaper than either the Nikon D300S or the Canon 7D. The cheapest of this lot is the Canon T2i/T3i, and in terms of bang for the buck has to be the most attractive option.

Remember that whatever housing you buy will only be usable with that camera, so you want to be sure you'll be able to get another camera if yours dies at any point in the foreseeable future.

If your ceiling for the camera is $2k, each will fall comfortably under that limit. But that's for the bodies only - with the lenses I doubt you'll be able to stay under $2k or even close to it. And of course the housing & strobes will cost an absolute fortune.

Remember that it's not a question of IF your housing will flood, but WHEN. When that happens it's curtains for camera body and attached lens, and if it's an electronic housing for that as well. You may be able to get new electronics for the housing, though in my experience it may well not be economic, but the camera and lens will be rather damp paperweights.

Beware of insurance. I don't know what people's experience of claims is, but I know of several accident claims that the insurers sought to offload onto the owner because (s)he hadn't taken proper measures to avoid or mitigate their loss. I would never take out such insurance without seeing a history of actual claims.

Have you looked at http://wetpixel.com/ ? And there are U/W threads in http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ which you may find more useful, in that you'll get people's subjective views less confused by technical detail. For a quick decision that's what you want.

I'm not sure of the housings, but my first choice would be the T2i/T3i, followed by the D7000. The Canons are significantly cheaper and their lenses are much cheaper, for the same quality.

I should have said - when you add together the camera body, lenses, housing, dome ports (a different one for each lens) and strobes you'll be looking at quite a few thousand $, easily as many as ten. I've never been tempted to go that way because of the risk of flooding - running my dive centre in Belize I have seen WAY too many housings flood. The most value I've ever been tempted to take underwater was a G10 and Canon's own housing. With strobes that was still $1500. And of course it'll all be obsolete rather quickly.

The OP hasn't said what he's coming from, other than "a compact". They vary enormously in their capabilities.

Thank you for the wonderful help! There was a lot of great information in your reply. The T2i is sounding pretty good to me from all of the reviews I have read and price. I will check out those links too. I appreciate all of your time, recommendations and suggestions. :D

Now speaking of Belize- how long have you been there? Were we not on a SD Belize Nekton trip together many moons ago? Maybe I had the bends or something, but I could have sworn you were there.

~K

#10 Scubawishes

Scubawishes

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:00 AM

I don't know if you've considered it but I have my eye on a Sealife DC1200. I've had the chance to dive one a couple of times and it has very nice capabilities. it does video as well. In my 2psi I think it is a great value. I'm going to buy one before the Truk trip.

That seems like a good little camera, I like the idea of the 4 underwater modes. I wonder what results it gets with 5x zoom for macro though. I'm thinking I want at least an 18 mp though. Thank you for your help. Please share some photos after your truk trip. I've never been.
~K

#11 Scubawishes

Scubawishes

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:08 AM

Well hello my old Nekton Belize room buddy,
I hear you on it being basically a point and shoot camera. It would be an upgrade from my little Casio, but not with the SLR results I am aiming for.

How are the kittys???

I
~K

#12 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:27 AM

Consider the Canon line. You can switch between 'normal' and 'macro' mode underwater on the fly. It has a nice zoom, but I've found that the tighter you zoom in, the fuzzier the result because you have to be so absolutely still, and even a light current you can't even feel will be enough to ruin a zoomed shot. But, the zoom is very nice above water!
Posted Image

#13 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

I think now the T3i's out the price of the T2i may drop. The only difference I can see on a quick look is that the T3i has a fold-out screen, very useful if you're taking land-based video with it but otherwise just one more thing to break. Optically I think they're identical. There are housings available for the T2i, but whether there are yet for the T3i I don't know. I seriously considered these before I bought my 7D last week, but I'm afraid I was swayed by the superb autofocus and the dual processors on the 7D. But optically there'll be no difference from the T2i.

I referred to POTN. There you'll find threads dedicated to all Canon cameras including these two plus a general thread dedicated to Nikons.

#14 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

Hey Jerry, this is what I just bought!! I have not been able to play with it much yet though. I hope to use it in a couple of weeks in Maui!!
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#15 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hey Jerry, this is what I just bought!! I have not been able to play with it much yet though. I hope to use it in a couple of weeks in Maui!!

Liz does testing for them and I've had a couple chances to dive them. The DC1000 had some issues and didn't last more than a season or so. More to do with the very small buttons close together make using it underwater with gloves on very problematic. Sam bought one late last year but she hasn’t had much of a chance to dive with it yet. The 1200 is very intuitive in the way the menus and buttons are laid out. Liz handed it to me on the boat and said go play. So I literally figured it out on the Spar taking pictures of Sharks and the other SD divers. In those couple minutes the pics are every bit as good as the ones I can take with my Olympus 5050. And the video is very good too. Let me know how you make out with yours. And by all means send pictures!!

Edit: did you get strobes and or the video light with yours?

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users