• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Question of the Week #3

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

Like Tammy, I discovered diving in my mid 40's and it was not planned. Several unconnected influences that led me to take up the sport.

Firstly, the Taliban. I left an 8 month contract in Afghanistan after only 8 weeks, after we got shot at leaving Wardak, a province neighbouring Kabul. I had 8 weeks pay in my pocket and no plans, so headed to Asia.

Secondly, my brother - he lived in Singapore at the time so I "based" myself there as I traveled through Thailand and Malaysia

Finally, the limited English of a tour operator in KL who sold me a 5 day package at a "resort" on Redang Island. When I got there I discovered it was a dive centre and there was little else to do. So I learnt to dive!

Having said all that I have not dived for 6 months, but only because I have discovered triathlon. Got fed up of not being able to run for a bus anymore, my clothes being tight and feeling like I should have more energy. Two Sprint triathlons under my belt now (including a VERY windy and hot one last weekend). But back underwater next weekend and looking forward to seeing the benefits with my air consumption.
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:06 AM

Sheena...you will be AMAZED at your air consumption...just keep the breathing very slow and methodical! Great to see you back again... we've missed you! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#18 BigBen

BigBen

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:42 AM

Hello all!
I was going into my senior year of high school and we were on a family trip in Hawaii. I always loved the water and decided it was time to take the next plunge after snorkeling. I immediately fell in love with the sport. I live in NY so diving is nothing compared to diving the tropics, but any day in the water is a good day.

#19 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:59 PM

I got certified back in the mid 80's as a P.E. class in college, and had problems finding a buddy. Ten years later, my fiancee got certified, so I bought all my gear, got married, went to Little Cayman for the honeymoon. My hubby didn't like scuba diving after all, and became my ex (for various other reasons of course). Found some new dive buddies through a college friend (go figure) and haven't stopped since.
When I started dating again, going on scuba diving trips was high on my "mandatory list". So, he got scuba certified, he bought his gear, we got married, and diving is indeed part of our annual vacations. :cloud9:

#20 ReelDiver

ReelDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:287

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:23 AM

Millions of years ago before I made landfall for the first time I lived in the ocean but over thousands of years my fins became limbs and I eventually got this breathing air thing down and learned to walk up-right.

Actually, I was working as a rock climbing instructor / guide and one of my customers was the daughter of the owner of a LDS. I took her climbing in West Virginia and as thanks he certified me. That was 2.5 years ago and 300 dives and one awesome c-card collection later here I am.

#21 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:17 AM

Mine was a friend of mine who agreed to go on a cruise with me if I would do a discovery dive with her at one of the stops. So while in the grand caymans, I tried it.

#22 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:30 AM

When I was growing up in Rye, NY, I used to love checking out the creatures at Rye Beach. I remember having an old yellow plastic mask and "flippers." I used to watch tv shows like "Assignment Underwater," "The Aquanauts," and, of course, "Sea Hunt." This interest grew, and by the time I was a freshman or a sophomore in high school, I knew that I wanted to be an oceanographer or marine biologist.

I was 16 when I was certified, which in 1969 was a bit of a rarity to have someone that young get trained in diving. My instructor was noneother than Buster ("Flash Gordon," "Tarzan") Crabbe, who also lived in Rye.

Rick

:usflag:

Not all those who wander are lost - J.R. Tolkien

#23 EuroDiver

EuroDiver

Getting started

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:240

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:16 AM