• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

HH at Dutch Springs

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:we're supposed to track of that @#!$ ?

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

Will, this will be awesome for us divers that don't have coldwater gear because DUI will be there that weekend with dry suits we can test out.

Ok, that sounds great, but i've never used a drysuit, and certainly do not have certification for it.

Will, Check out this site for more info
Make sure you never run out of Erica!

#32 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:1
  • Logged Dives:-1

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

Ok, that sounds good. I've got transportation, and i'm reasonably familiar with the area, as my grandparents are in NJ and I usually stop in Allentown for food and gas. Since there is a dive shop near by i'm not worried about tank fills. I figure that should cost about $15. How are we handling room and board? My nearest family are an hour and 45 mins away, so I could stay with them. A hotel would be more convenient, but unless I'm sleeping in a place that costs me less than $30 its going to be cheaper for me to drive to NJ.

Also, what is the time frame like? i.e. when should I be there Sat. and when should I plan on leaving. Additionally, when should I plan on being back on Sun. and leaving on Sun. Clearly this is a social gathering, and it wouldn't surprise me if the post dive dinner took several hours just because everyone is having fun. But i'm a diver on a budget, so I can't afford everything you employed people can.

-Will

#33 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:we're supposed to track of that @#!$ ?

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:11 PM

Ok, that sounds good. I've got transportation, and i'm reasonably familiar with the area, as my grandparents are in NJ and I usually stop in Allentown for food and gas. Since there is a dive shop near by i'm not worried about tank fills. I figure that should cost about $15. How are we handling room and board? My nearest family are an hour and 45 mins away, so I could stay with them. A hotel would be more convenient, but unless I'm sleeping in a place that costs me less than $30 its going to be cheaper for me to drive to NJ.

Also, what is the time frame like? i.e. when should I be there Sat. and when should I plan on leaving. Additionally, when should I plan on being back on Sun. and leaving on Sun. Clearly this is a social gathering, and it wouldn't surprise me if the post dive dinner took several hours just because everyone is having fun. But i'm a diver on a budget, so I can't afford everything you employed people can.

-Will

Don't worry being employed isn't all it's cracked up to be. I'm not sure about sleeping arrangements we need to get some other folks on here and we can start rooming people up. Worse comes worse they have a campsite ($10 a night) for those of us that don't mind roughing it or are too cheap to pay to sleep indoors. There's also a nearby Comfort Inn.

$10 for the drysuit demo....$36 a day for the park pass..... Spending a weekend diving with the bunch from SingleDivers.com ... PRICELESS

So what time do we want to get there? I guess for those folks that are testing dry suits we should get there around 9 am on Saturday so we can get our drysuits from DUI and get a dive in before the FREE lunch. I hoping to get some diving in on Sunday too... What does everyone else think?

I will defer to Jerry or Dave for suggestions on the happy hour location since they are more familiar with the area.
Make sure you never run out of Erica!

#34 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

Too many items for one reply so I'll pick a couple and work on those. First I have a house 20-25 minutes away that I can put some folks up in. Camping on the grounds is fun if you’re into that sort of thing. I have a tent for borrow if some want to do that.

Dry suit hoses are no problem I have a tub full and DUI will provide them as well but if you’re ready to go it's just easier.

There is a big air fill station on the premises. As well as canned nitrox (no special mixes) look at Dutch Springs for current rates. PIR8 has a dive shop he uses and mine will more than likely be there as well. Plus the mentioned Lehigh valley shop is very close. Any needs or wants in the rental category can be arraigned as well as a drysuit course over the weekend if you want.

There are many good eateries and watering holes in the ABE area. (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton)

I just got off the phone with my dive shop and if I can come up with some idea of the gear people would like to rent he will tow his big gear trailer to the quarry that day. It is a very neat set up.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#35 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:09 PM

Don't worry being employed isn't all it's cracked up to be. I'm not sure about sleeping arrangements we need to get some other folks on here and we can start rooming people up. Worse comes worse they have a campsite ($10 a night) for those of us that don't mind roughing it or are too cheap to pay to sleep indoors. There's also a nearby Comfort Inn.

$10 for the drysuit demo....$36 a day for the park pass..... Spending a weekend diving with the bunch from SingleDivers.com ... PRICELESS

So what time do we want to get there? I guess for those folks that are testing dry suits we should get there around 9 am on Saturday so we can get our drysuits from DUI and get a dive in before the FREE lunch. I hoping to get some diving in on Sunday too... What does everyone else think?

I will defer to Jerry or Dave for suggestions on the happy hour location since they are more familiar with the area.

Wait... I drive a Rav 4.. my seats fold down. I just saved $40! I'm also a BIG fan of the Free lunch.

Now... once i'm in the park, do I need to pay for the second day? Posted Image

*sigh*, you know you're a dive junkie when you'll wake up at 4 am to drive 5 hours to make it to the 9 am dive.

#36 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:16 PM

Too many items for one reply so I'll pick a couple and work on those. First I have a house 20-25 minutes away that I can put some folks up in. Camping on the grounds is fun if you're into that sort of thing. I have a tent for borrow if some want to do that.

Dry suit hoses are no problem I have a tub full and DUI will provide them as well but if you're ready to go it's just easier.

There is a big air fill station on the premises. As well as canned nitrox (no special mixes) look at Dutch Springs for current rates. PIR8 has a dive shop he uses and mine will more than likely be there as well. Plus the mentioned Lehigh valley shop is very close. Any needs or wants in the rental category can be arraigned as well as a drysuit course over the weekend if you want.

There are many good eateries and watering holes in the ABE area. (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton)

I just got off the phone with my dive shop and if I can come up with some idea of the gear people would like to rent he will tow his big gear trailer to the quarry that day. It is a very neat set up.

Umm.. a house is good. Perhaps a silly question, but is the air fill station free? My local DS charges $3 per tank, which is more than reasonable, but i'm unsure how other locations do it.

How much would the dry suit course be (and what agency provides it)?

I'll defer to the group with regards to eateries, but I put my vote in for a pub type set up. They're fun, always have decent food, and cheap.

#37 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

Also, what should I wear under the dry suit? I can probably scrounge up some long under ware, but is denim a good or bad idea? Am I fine in my normal street clothes or do I need to layer up?

#38 ReelDiver

ReelDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:287

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:25 PM

SWEET!!! DUI AT DUTCH!!! I am totally down for that!! :-D duganalex bring some under armor or ploy-somethingoranother to wear. DUI will supply undergarments with the drysuits so you can feel and dive with both. They also bring LP hoses and install them on the spot. Make sure to bring a C-card. Instructors and divemasters volunteer for the rally to take divers out in suits for the first time so the only thing you need to supply is you and your dive gear. You can try on several different suits if you like, crushed neoprene, trilam, cordora, ect. Tickets can usually be purchased in advance although not being from PA I'm not sure if the LDS has them.

There is a fill station @ Dutch and they usually do a pretty snappy job with filling tanks. The LDS is pretty complete in their stock too so if you need something or forget something you can get it there. Walmart is close as well for when I realize I left a pillow or sleeping bag at home. There is a local beer store which is kinda cool BUT Dutch Springs policy on alcohol is a little unfriendly so beware. Instructors and divemasters need to bring proof of insurance if you wanna conduct classes. Dutch does not rent gear other than tanks & weights.

I am totally down for this btw!! It'll be a shock since I'm coming back from Key Largo the week before but I think I'll have to manage. DUI puts on too good a party and Dutch is too much fun to pass up. I can get there all kinds of early on Friday and commandeer an area on the peninsular...the camping is nice over there and there is a really great shaded area with picnic tables and such.

As for classes like drysuit I'm sure Jerry & PIR8 would jump at the opportunity. Its there territory so I'll let them do that.

Any wanna log some deco that weekend? I'd love to reconnect the wonder twins (my doubles) and go for a stroll on the ole scooter.

This sounds like a flippin awesome weekend!!! I'm totally stoked!!

#39 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:42 PM

Any wanna log some deco that weekend?

I want to log some deco, however being OW only kinda prevents that.

#40 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:34 PM

just to clarify I'm not an instructor in any way shape or form. I've dove at Dutch for a about 8 years and had a season pass for most of those. There are lots of dive shops that use Dutch for open water training. Look at the web site for air fill prices http://dutchsprings.com/air.html

I agree with the wear something polypropelene under a dry suit. think loft not jeans. sweats are better than jeans and not a bad option.

I'll let Pir8 address the cost of a course question.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#41 ReelDiver

ReelDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

Oh, sry Jerry. I read to quickly I guess.

Wear something thing and poly so that the undergarments from DUI will fit nicely. DUI will size you for one of their undergarments to fit with your thermal liking. Cotton is always a bad choice because it retains water and helps to make you colder.

I just realized that we settled on May 21-22nd which is the weekend of my college graduation so I wont be able to go :tears:

Let me know if it gets moved or if anyone wants to dive Dutch after that weekend!

#42 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

Oh, sry Jerry. I read to quickly I guess.

Wear something thing and poly so that the undergarments from DUI will fit nicely. DUI will size you for one of their undergarments to fit with your thermal liking. Cotton is always a bad choice because it retains water and helps to make you colder.

I just realized that we settled on May 21-22nd which is the weekend of my college graduation so I wont be able to go :tears:

Let me know if it gets moved or if anyone wants to dive Dutch after that weekend!

CONGRATS on the college graduation!!!!!
Posted Image

#43 ReelDiver

ReelDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:26 PM

Why thank ya much!! It would be great if I could just stop right now and go diving but apparently they make you finish the semester before they let you graduate?! I mean really!

#44 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:22 AM

DUI not only provides the Dry Suit, they will also lend you a LP hose and install it on your regulator. They usually have food too for like a cheap sign up fee. Since I don't work for them I don't want to comit them(or me) to anything. It,s always been a pretty good spread though.Thats one of the reasons they can get Instructors like me to volunteer and work their tent. Any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#45 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:29 AM

I guess I should have read the rest of the thread before I started to post.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users