• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Pre-Season Training

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:1
  • Logged Dives:-1

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:58 PM

Hey Guys,

So I've been reading a lot about how you need to be both mentally and physically prepared for deep wreck dives or cave diving. This makes perfect sense to me, as we all get out of practice at things we'd normally consider routine. For example, once we get our first snow storm of the season I drive to the empty high school parking lot and take a couple hours to 'remind' myself of how slick ice+slush is. (Got hung up on a snow bank once, but no dents)

What do you do for your pre-season dive training? After what point are you ready for the big dives that you wouldn't have done your first week back?

-Will

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

Great questions, Will, and I look forward to the answers from all the deep wreck & overhead environment divers.

I don't do either of those myself, but due to work constraints I can only dive 6 months out of each year. (Sorry Missouri divers, I am NOT diving in cold, 3 foot vis just to see an ugly catfish!!)

When the "no vacation" ban is lifted, I always do an EASY DIVING trip such as Bonaire, to refresh my skills. Only then do I feel comfortable enough to go on a more strenuous or challenging dive trip.
Posted Image

#3 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:1
  • Logged Dives:-1

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

...I always do an EASY DIVING trip such as Bonaire, to refresh my skills. Only then do I feel comfortable enough to go on a more strenuous or challenging dive trip.

Well, define a 'strenuous' trip. Not having ever been on a dive trip, we may be using different definitions. Though I don't really know what to expect.

#4 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

...I always do an EASY DIVING trip such as Bonaire, to refresh my skills. Only then do I feel comfortable enough to go on a more strenuous or challenging dive trip.

Well, define a 'strenuous' trip. Not having ever been on a dive trip, we may be using different definitions. Though I don't really know what to expect.

You're absolutely right, strenuous is different for each of us. I'm in the 'over 50' club! To me, strenuous usually means current, especially when it's not a drift dive (yes, I do out-and-back diving in current and surge!). Strenuous can also mean 4-5 dives each day (like a liveaboard), or lots of shore diving.....especially if I have to schlep my gear on my back for a long ways to reach the entry. The final aspect of strenuous, to me, falls in my feeling of responsibility on the dive. Doesn't matter who is 'leading' the dive, or who my dive buddy is....I'm a Rescue Diver, and every time I get in the water, I look at everyone else in the water in between taking photos, to see if they are in distress or need help in any way. That means mental stress, not physical, but you must prepare yourself for it. If I'm leading a dive, or taking the lead position with my dive buddy, I want to practice a few things things on my first trip of the year. Sometimes it's actual practice, and sometimes it's mental scenario practice. It all works to help prepare me for more strenuous diving.
Posted Image

#5 drifter

drifter

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:34 AM

Being as some of us can't be like Tammy (though we all aspire to that :D), some of us only get one dive trip a year...so Bonaire IS our big trip :P. If I can, I'll get in touch with a local dive shop and find out when they are running a class and see if I can tag along. First, I enjoy diving, so even in a pool, I can have SOME amount of fun. Things I've done in the past: try to remain totally stationary in the middle of the deep end for 5 minutes (no up/down movement either) or do somersaults and end up facing exactly the same direction I started (and as close to the same depth as I can). See the fewest number kicks I can use to cover the length of the pool, etc. It helps get the cobwebs out of both me and the gear. I'll also go with them on their open water dives, which around here is murky, cold, water. Try doing the same thing (remaining stationary) when there's no real point of reference in murky water and you have that 7mm wetsuit/20 lbs of weight on! Also, watching/listening to different DM's, I learn new little tricks of the trade that I can add to my skill set. They may not be exciting dives, but it's fun, inexpensive, and usually educational in some way.

I don't do the technical diving stuff, so I'm sure there is a lot more you can/should do prior to a big technical dive.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
"Not all those who wander are lost."
~JRR Tolkien

#6 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

I think the biggest thing is just normal strength and aerobic training as you would for any sport. In this case, its being able to carry your gear outside of the water. The one thing you don't want to be is so winded and worn out before you even start the dive.

Maybe there would be some environmental factors like current that would lead to some additional pre-dive training, but for a majority of my dives its no different than what you do for recreational diving.

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:33 AM

Mental rehearsal is very important. Go thru in your mind what you want to accomplish and how you would handle different 'what if' scenarios.

As mentioned by others KEEP IN SHAPE... diving is not a sport to get in shape by doing...you need to get in shape to dive.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...first mentally and then in the water. Wear the gear you plan to dive so it comfortable to you and second nature especially when you are learning. I carry most of the same gear when I dive 'recreationally' as I do when I dive tecnically. First off I need to get used to carrying it and managing it. Secondly when I need it I want to know its there regardless of the type of diving I'm doing. And third...I never know when I'll need it so this way I'm always ready. Is it overkill for some of our destinations? Yup...but I don't care as I'm always ready regardless of the venue and more times than not I've been VERY glad I was 'over prepared'. ;)

Hydration is vital and often overlooked. Most Americans are CHRONICALLY dehydrated due to all the sodas, coffee, tea and energy drinks they drink. ALL of these are dehydrating fluids. Getting into the habit of good hydration NOW means you don't have to do something special when its time to dive and your body will be in a positive hydration position and not starting from a negative like most people are. Add to that the dehydrating affects of travel, sun, excitment/nerves etc. and you are in a serious negative before you start. More DCS is now caused by dehydration and lack of sleep than any other causes. So get into the hydration habit NOW and it will be second nature when you need it and your body will love you in the meantime and you'll live longer to enjoy diving more! :cool1:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users