• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo
- - - - -

Brewing, Kegs, and Condemned Cylinders

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:1
  • Logged Dives:-1

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

Ok so this is something that would only come out of my crazy brain, but here it goes anyway.

I have a condemned AL80, and I don't know what do do with it. Clearly I cannot dive with it, and honestly it would make a bad bird feeder, so I was looking for alternative uses.

After running through some scenarios ranging from grinding it down into shavings for chemistry purposes to shooting it with a large caliber firearm, it dawned on me that I could safely combine two of my favorite things: Diving, and beer.

I plan to start brewing this summer or the coming fall, and I was debating whether or not to make a setup for bottling or kegging when it hit me: What if I can use a cylinder as a keg?!

Figure an AL 80 will hold just under 3 gallons (leaving another 2 gallons to bottle), and if you added some sugar for the yeast to feed on the bottle could carbonate itself. Alternatively one could slightly charge the cylinder with CO2, invert it, and dispense from the bottom. I do not know of a way to run an input & an output into the tank, though I suppose I could machine one in my basement.
One concern with using the cylinder as a keg is how the aluminum will affect the flavor of the beer. If any of you have noticed, Coke in a glass bottle is noticeably better than Coke in an aluminum can.

If/when it is established that a tank cannot be used for a keg, would it be possible to partially fill the tank with CO2 and use that as a CO2 cylinder as opposed to purchasing a second unit.

All answers are appreciated regardless of opinions on my sanity.

If, for some reason, this post is so ridiculous you don't know what else to do with it, then have a good laugh and have a nice day.

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:06 AM

Ummmm.....regardless of flavor or taste....you're gonna need a bigger tank. 2-3 gallons is NOT enough! :laugh:
Posted Image

#3 AirHead

AirHead

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:15 AM

Having been in the beer business a long time ago, I can tell you that all of Coors kegs used to be made of aluminum. I am not sure if they had any kind of coating on the inside or not. I believe that they switched to steel not because of taste issues but because of theft.

You should give it a try. I think this would be a noble end for an old tank.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake W.C. Fields

#4 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

I think i'm going to draft some plans for it. At the very least it would be a fun summer project, and if it works would probably be the most awesome (and discreet) keg of all time.

#5 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

Ummmm.....regardless of flavor or taste....you're gonna need a bigger tank. 2-3 gallons is NOT enough! :laugh:

I know that 3 gallons isn't enough, I was thinking of putting the rest in 64 oz growlers.

#6 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

My only other concern is how to clean it... kegs are designed to be scrubbed out and sanitized, tanks not so much. Perhaps unscrewing the valve and power-washing before rinsing with sanitizer would be a good way to go. Regardless, i'll let everyone know how it turns out.

#7 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:20 PM

Regardless, i'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Better yet, invite some local SD'ers to the grand opening for a tasting! :teeth:
Posted Image

#8 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

Maybe wait a couple of batches. I had a sample from my Dad's 3rd batch. The first was divine, the other 6 smelled like baby vomit.

#9 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:00 PM

Best solution I saw for a dead AL 80 was saw the bottom off, put it in a small wooden carriage and make it look like a cannon. :)
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#10 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

Best solution I saw for a dead AL 80 was saw the bottom off, put it in a small wooden carriage and make it look like a cannon. :)

If you mounted that on a small trailer you could tow it behind your car and hang a "No Tailgating 100 Yards" sign on the back.

#11 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

...THATS IT! To finance my diving habit I'll brew beer for the Physics department! [our end of semester picnic had a $400 budget for food, and $1200 for beer]

#12 AirHead

AirHead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

Are there any microbreweries close by? Perhaps as a research project you could sample ummm I mean visit with the brewmaster and ask for some advice about cleaning the tank
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake W.C. Fields

#13 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

Cut off the neck end and you'll have a mean 6" mortar for NYE and 4th of July fireworks.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#14 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:56 PM

I believe absorption of aluminium is associated with Alzheimer's.....

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

Way too funny thread...

but then that's what we really like about you! ;)

Now for how to clean the tank...I will ask OTWDiver for input...he 02 cleans tanks all the time so that should work as well for your purposes.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users