• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY 2014-02: FIRM DATES Truk Lagoon...Redeux! Feb 9-16, 2014

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#31 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

WW - As for Maldives that's a trip i would like to do that one but that will be dependent on a few things but that is a place on my bucket list.

The biggest reason im wanting good notice in advance is my back as traveling that far by plane in coach would have me laid up for the duration of the trip at this point (who knows in 3 years, hopefully better). Then there is some more training i would like to have completed between now and then. Palau and yap are on the bucket list but truk is the main one on this trip and ill go either way. As for PI I mentioned Atlantis because i liked the accommodations, but it was diving that was the focus. Robin has talked about Anilao for a while so it has peaked my interest, but Dumagete and Apo island are a sight to behold as well(tough call).

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#32 Lephenix

Lephenix

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Tec 50 & NACD cavern
  • Logged Dives:211

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:19 PM

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I just discovered your forum while surfing Google Canada for single divers specials on liveaboards (which I never tried). Until now my dives has been done in Canada ( lake Ontario wrecks, St-Lawrence seaway wrecks, St-Lawrence Gulf , quarries, lakes), Cuba and Mexico (Tulum, the Cenotes, Akumal, Cozumel ). Since this is the most interesting thread I will introduce myself here. I am a male 38 years old DSAT tech diver/NACD cavern canadian diver from Montreal.

When I saw the trip planned for Truk, I thought I might join the forum to inquire. Are you planning on using the Truk Odyssey liveboard ? With large nitrox tanks, they seem well suited for aggressive recreational wreck diving and basic tech diving.

I will also look into your others trips for march-april.

By the way, I suggest Yap, shore based resort and boat diving to keep the overall expedition cost reasonnable.

Pascal

#33 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

Hi Pascal...just a quick reply as I'm off to catch a flight but YES we are using Odyssey...we used them this past spring and LOVED them! :wakawaka:

We'd love for you to do an intro post HERE and I hope you find a trip in Mar or April of next year to join us on! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#34 Lephenix

Lephenix

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:22 PM

Hi,

Please write me down for the advanced notification list. I vote Yap.

Thanks,

#35 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

Kamala -

Please put me on the "maybe, sorta, kinda interested notification list"...

UP Diver aka Jim
:P
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#36 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

I've got you on the list Pascal & Jim! :cool1:

#37 Lephenix

Lephenix

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

DAN's Alert Diver summer 2011 magazine has an article about a Phillipine dive trip. Andy Sallmon and Allison Vitsky seem to give it a mixed-emotions review ? They seems disappointed and finally relieved for having found very good diving.

#38 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

Add me to the list....... I'll go wherever, as long as there's good diving.

Susan

#39 globefish

globefish

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water/Enriched Air
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:03 AM

Please put me on the interested early notification list.
Also could someone clarify what tech diving is required for this trip.
Thanks
Joanne aka globefish

#40 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

Susan, you were already on the list & I've noted that you're flexible for the add-on.
I've added you Interested List, Joanne!

I don't think you need any type of tech certification to dive Truk. However, I understand some of the wrecks are deep and if you want to dive them you will need at the least some type of double-tank cert (doubles on the back or double side-mount).
Posted Image

#41 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

Hello Joanne,

I was on the Truk trip this Spring. They did not require any special tech diving certs. Actually, I only have Open Water and Enriched Air certs. I was fine. They started the week off with the shallower dives, and progressed to the deeper wrecks as the week went along. You have an option of using aluminum 80's, or a larger tank ( dont recall the exact size ) with most using the larger tanks, and the few tech divers were diving with doubles and such, but most werent. Most of the shallow dives were still a hundred plus feet, but I dove 4 dives a day, and was never in deco mode by the time I got to the safety stop. I very much look forward to a return trip there, and would be happy with a repeat of Palau as well. Ed

Thanks
Joanne aka globefish

#42 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:13 PM

I don't think you need any type of tech certification to dive Truk. However, I understand some of the wrecks are deep and if you want to dive them you will need at the least some type of double-tank cert (doubles on the back or double side-mount).

They did not require doubles on the deep wrecks in April. Dont know if they changed a policy or not though. The deepest dive was the last day. If I recall correctly, it was around 165 feet to the hull. I missed that dive due to a back issue, so I am not certain of the actual depth, but they did not require doubles. They offered a shallower dive to those who did not want to do the deep dive, and they had a dive guide keeping a closer eye on the divers, to increase the safety of the dive. Ed

#43 globefish

globefish

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water/Enriched Air
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Ed. Exactly what I wanted to know.
Joanne

Hello Joanne,

I was on the Truk trip this Spring. They did not require any special tech diving certs. Actually, I only have Open Water and Enriched Air certs. I was fine. They started the week off with the shallower dives, and progressed to the deeper wrecks as the week went along. You have an option of using aluminum 80's, or a larger tank ( dont recall the exact size ) with most using the larger tanks, and the few tech divers were diving with doubles and such, but most werent. Most of the shallow dives were still a hundred plus feet, but I dove 4 dives a day, and was never in deco mode by the time I got to the safety stop. I very much look forward to a return trip there, and would be happy with a repeat of Palau as well. Ed

Thanks
Joanne aka globefish

#44 chachita

chachita

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Rescue & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:90

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

Sure 2014 is a long ways out. But since FEBRUARY is the prime month for exotic warm weather trips you have to plan NOW. SO SAVE THE DATE...we have a DATE to do Truk Lagoon or Chuuk AGAIN!!! :wakawaka:

DATE:

Feb 9-16, 2014 LOCKED IN AND WE ARE WAIT LISTED FOR FEB 16-23 BUT CONFIRMED FOR FEB 9-16, 2014
Feb 23-Mar 2, 2014

We'll most likely add a day or so onto the trip to allow your body clock to catch up on missed sleep unless we do Kosarae Village since its landbased and we can work around our traveling/jetlag more readily. Arriving at 11pm at night in Truk and starting to dive the next day at 7am is very difficult and well takes a good bit of the fun out of it.

We'll run a second trip in conjunction with this one that can be stand alone or done in conjunction with this one. It will be after the trip since we are doing the Feb 9-16th date.

PRICING:

Pricing will not be set for 2014 until late 2012 by the boat. However they usually keep the prices the same for 2 years and then increase the rate by $100. :respect: So plan for approximately $3200 or $3300 for the boat part. (If we can get any early booking discounts we'll pass them onto our members who book early as well!)

Options for an adjacent trip include but are not limited to:

• Yap (Best if done after Truk due to flight schedules)
  • Philippines (Wreck & Reef...best if done after Truk as Manila is a direct flight from Truk)
  • Kosarae Village (Best if done before Truk due to fligths)
  • Palau (Best if done before Truk due to flight schedules)

LIST OF THOSE PREMIERS WANTING ADVANCE NOTICE OF WHEN THIS TRIP OPENS UP, WISH TO VOTE WHERE THE SECOND TRIP WILL BE, AND 7 DAYS ADVANCE BOOKING INCLUDING PREMIER ONLY DISCOUNTS & SPECIALS...Membership Does Have REWARDS!!!

1. Kamala aka WreckWench - prefer Yap or Philippines
2. Fred aka ev780 - Yap add-on
3. Butch aka Cajun Diver - Yap or Phillipines add-on
4. Jerry aka Jerrymxz - Yap add-on
5. Mike aka Going Postal - Yap or Phillipines add-on
6. Susan aka Resqdew - anywhere there is good diving add-on
7. Dan aka Scubatooth - Yap/Palau, Phillipines add-on
8. Marc aka Muktuk
9. Pascal aka Lephenix
10. Jim aka Up Diver
11.Joanne aka globefish
12. Johanna aka chachita

#45 chachita

chachita

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Rescue & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:90

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

Hi Kamala,

I've been wanting to dive Truk for a long time! Please add me to your 'interested' list.
Thanks, Johanna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users