• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Sharing a critter YOU FOUND...take our poll!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: To Share ot Not to Share...THAT is the TIMING of the Question! (12 member(s) have cast votes)

We all agree that you should take a few pics and then move on if people are waiting when a DM finds something BUT how long is it reasonable to stay taking pictures if YOU found the critter?

1. Take as long as you like with the critter taking as many shots as you want since you found it even if people are waiting to take a shot as well. (2 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. Take a reasonable amount of time with the critter (perhaps twice as long as you might with a critter that the DM found) if others are waiting. Otherwise if no one is around take as long as you like. (5 votes [41.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

3. Take 2-4 shots regardless of who found the critter and move to the end of the line if I want more so the next person can get a few shots in. (5 votes [41.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

In a similar topic the question came up about sharing a critter you found vs sharing a critter the DM/Guide found. What do you think?

1. Take as long as you like with the critter taking as many shots as you want since you found it even if people are waiting to take a shot as well.

2. Take a reasonable amount of time with the critter (perhaps twice as long as you might with a critter that the DM found) if others are waiting. Otherwise if no one is around take as long as you like.

So which camp to you fall into? Please vote in our poll! And feel free to comment as well.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:52 AM

Only those two options? Neither one says how I would behave.

Whether I find the critter or someone else does, if there is someone else who wants a picture I will take 2-3 shots and move to the end of the line if I want another turn.

The reason? I've been the one waiting for a turn too many times, and either the site got mucked up or the critter got bored or scared off, or I went through too much air just waiting around for my turn. Since I'm not a professional photographer, I'm not trying to impress anybody with my photos. If they're not perfectly lit, or the composition not magazine-worthy, I really don't care. So ,2-3 shots is all I need to get a nice snapshot of the critter, for my personal memory book. :D
Posted Image

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

That view was not originally expressed in the thread...at least I did not see it expressed but will add it another option in the poll. Thank you!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#4 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:42 AM

I'm with LLDN on that one. I'd take a couple, get away from everyone and let others view, then return back for more photos and/or just viewing the fish, if it's still around (and not stressed out hiding under a rock).

And if possible, become aware of the behavior of various fish. For example, learn that Frogfish and sea horses are two examples where they are likely to hang out where you first saw them and not hide away. Other fish may hide, but come out again after awhile. Don't hog all the time with people waiting in line.

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

Finding your own critters takes a lot of effort and a sharp eye...it also potentially reduces the time you have taking pictures. Therefore many photographers are protective of a critter they find and you will see MANY people swing from they should have all the time they want with a critter they find to those who will take a few snapshots and let someone else who may have come by to see what you found take some pictures.

ALL views are welcome and this is a learning opportunity. Please keep your replies within our guideline and please do not take offense or pass judgement on anyone for their views.

Personally I would love to spend all the time in the world with a critter that I found...after all I found it. And I will spend more time with it then I would with a critter the DM found but if I see others waiting to take a picture then I will certainly share it.

Sadly I do not think I can be as awesome as Tammy and only take 2-3 pics and then move on.... but I guess I have something to aspire too! :respect:

formerly...

#6 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

I think that if you are diving with the intent of taking pictures and you find the critter then you should have all the time you want with it. If you and your buddy are diving side by side and find something, then it is between you and your buddy on how you should handle it. As WW says, finding critters is not always easy and you have to have a sharp eye. I have been on dive trips where I felt rushed by other divers waiting to move in on a critter that I found only to find that I did not get any really good pictures of that critter because I was moving away before I was done. I will certainly share a subject and have often gone to find another diver to point it out when I am done. But I do not think that I should have to give up my photo op just because someone else is waiting for your subject rather than looking for their own.

Once the first finder moves out of the way, from there it is a different story. The divers in line should definitely be considerate of the others waiting. The same if the critter is found by the dive guide.
Sea Turtle advocate!

#7 Scubawishes

Scubawishes

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Certification
  • Logged Dives:200ish

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:21 AM

In theory, I say finder should take as loooong as they like with a subject provided the subject seems okay with it. Posted Image

However, for me I feel a certain pressure when others are waiting & it takes away from my being-in/getting lost in the moment, so I would likely snap a few photos & head to the end of the line & wait till all divers (aside from buddy) move on. It just isn't a relaxing fun experience knowing that there is someone watching & waiting on me. It is a little pressure of sorts & who needs any when diving?!. On the other hand, I have such a zest for sea life that I want everyone to enjoy all that I do. So, it isn't a problem if the diver(s) waits patiently & shows such by giving
lots of space. When I wait to see a creature another is focused on I purposely look for something else in the area to genuinely occupy myself with until the dive is done, if the dive never seems to be done & I am done waiting, I just turn off their tank.....kidding, I just move on & ask them on the boat for details. Posted Image Lastly, I do not like to move for an obnoxious diver, the kind that crowds in & crams you out of the space. They do not deserve such a courtesy! Yet, sometimes I must if only for the safety of the reef or myself (not getting reg pulled out accidentally by the too close annoying & rude diver). I will try to stand my ground though for a repeat offender.Posted Image
~K

#8 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:15 PM

All of the previous replies have had a valid point of view. I've found myself waiting for my turn to take a couple shots, only to have my reg kicked, and mask almost kicked off [same person, same dive, but not a SD trip] in order to take a photo. Now I tend to gravitate to the back of the group, so I don't have to deal with the 'crowd'. Sure, I miss some of the critters, others or the guide have pointed out, but I'm able to take my time to get the shot I want, and I still enjoy my dive. Several times, I've been asked by others what I had found, when they noticed me inverted to get a photo. It takes time to get in the right position, and maintain the position to take a couple shots, without destroying the habitat. Sometimes, I think there are too many cameras in a group, including myself. I enjoy leaving the camera on the boat just to explore. One of my most enjoyable dives was with Mark, aka Dive Geek, in Bonaire, we spent over an hour in front of Divi. He wanted to shoot anenome shrimp. While he took his time waiting for the current to move the anenome and get the shot, I would be scouting around for more. When he finished with one, I'd bang my tank and point to the next anenome. Meanwhile, I was finding all kinds of other critters to study while waiting. Diving should be enjoyable, and relaxing, after all most of us are on 'vacation'.

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#9 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

I agree with LLDN .It's simply :respect: .Not to take a detour on the subject here.But another point in question would be:Whats the best method of use to notify the others? Hopefully not scaring the subject.. Most common,the tank banger,or a sub duck. Any other suggestions?
And as Bill/Scuba Tex brings up another valid point: BEING on vacation...

Edited by Greg@ihpil, 25 July 2011 - 03:31 PM.

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#10 Dave L

Dave L

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Nitrox/Decompression
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

I took the third option, which is what I would do on the normally crowded resort dive boats. However, I prefer to dive at the end of the line to take my time or shore dive with one other diver or alone, if allowed to solo dive, so that I can take as long as I wish to take pictures. If you are only taking snapshots, nothing wrong with that either, then 2 or 3 shots should be enough. If you are a little more serious about underwater photography, again nothing wrong with that, you want to dive at your own pace. If you are really serious about underwater photography, maybe a dive trip set up for photographers would be more appropriate than a social diving group (not sure I said that right).

Just my .02 psi

Dave

#11 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

I think that there are several things to consider here when diving with a group. If you are a serious photographer, you really want the best possible shot and you found the critter. I firmly believe that you have the right to spend as long as you want. If you are in a group and someone else finds the critter then you are at the mercy of the original finder. If you are in a group where the DM finds the critter then you should absolutely follow a protocol of letting everyone have an equal opportunity.

On a recent dive trip I found a critter that was highly sought after by every one on the trip with a camera. My group let me take as many pictures as I wanted. I backed away and they moved in, took their shots and when they were done I moved back in and took some more. This critter was so sought after that for the next 5 days other groups at the resort were asking where they could find it. I spent just as much money as anyone on that trip. I was there to take pictures. That is the only reason that I went on the trip. I found the critter. Why should I stop taking pictures of a critter that I found before I got the shots that I wanted just because there were other divers in the water? What if I had not signaled to the other divers that I had found the critter? What if no one else came to see what I was shooting?

There was another diver on the trip that never found anything worth a picture on their own, yet that diver would dive bomb the photographer shooting a subject of interest and ruin the opportunity for a good shot. Should the diver that found the critter move away and let the dive bomber have their time with the subject?

On another dive, same trip, I was with the DM and we came upon a diver that had some uber serious photography equipment..I am talking many thousands of $$$. Obviously a serious pro. He was shooting a rare subject. The DM and I settled down and waited a good 20 minutes. When it looked like the diver was done, the DM moved over and tapped the divers fin, the diver signaled that he was done and we moved in. To me that was appropriate and appreciated by the original finder.

If your not willing to wait for your turn then you should not be diving with photographers. On the flip side of that ,just because you carry a camera does not mean that you own the reef.

J
Sea Turtle advocate!

#12 Dave L

Dave L

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Nitrox/Decompression
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:37 AM

I think that there are several things to consider here when diving with a group. If you are a serious photographer, you really want the best possible shot and you found the critter. I firmly believe that you have the right to spend as long as you want. If you are in a group and someone else finds the critter then you are at the mercy of the original finder. If you are in a group where the DM finds the critter then you should absolutely follow a protocol of letting everyone have an equal opportunity.

On a recent dive trip I found a critter that was highly sought after by every one on the trip with a camera. My group let me take as many pictures as I wanted. I backed away and they moved in, took their shots and when they were done I moved back in and took some more. This critter was so sought after that for the next 5 days other groups at the resort were asking where they could find it. I spent just as much money as anyone on that trip. I was there to take pictures. That is the only reason that I went on the trip. I found the critter. Why should I stop taking pictures of a critter that I found before I got the shots that I wanted just because there were other divers in the water? What if I had not signaled to the other divers that I had found the critter? What if no one else came to see what I was shooting?

There was another diver on the trip that never found anything worth a picture on their own, yet that diver would dive bomb the photographer shooting a subject of interest and ruin the opportunity for a good shot. Should the diver that found the critter move away and let the dive bomber have their time with the subject?

On another dive, same trip, I was with the DM and we came upon a diver that had some uber serious photography equipment..I am talking many thousands of $$. Obviously a serious pro. He was shooting a rare subject. The DM and I settled down and waited a good 20 minutes. When it looked like the diver was done, the DM moved over and tapped the divers fin, the diver signaled that he was done and we moved in. To me that was appropriate and appreciated by the original finder.

If your not willing to wait for your turn then you should not be diving with photographers. On the flip side of that ,just because you carry a camera does not mean that you own the reef.

J

Excellent post. Should be required reading by all photographers.

Dave

#13 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:40 AM

Unfortunately, not everyone shares the same photo etiquette philosophy, so we will never arrive at a consensus that all photographers will follow. So regardless of how we personally feel about this issue, we will always run into others underwater who think differently. Instead of getting upset, I will just give a philosophical shrug and turn to find another critter to shoot. :respect:
Posted Image

#14 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

... There was another diver on the trip that never found anything worth a picture on their own, yet that diver would dive bomb the photographer shooting a subject of interest and ruin the opportunity for a good shot. Should the diver that found the critter move away and let the dive bomber have their time with the subject? ...

J

This is an excellent reason to have a point on the end of your camera stick! LOL

Edited by ScubaShafer, 26 July 2011 - 01:53 PM.

It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#15 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

Here is a novel idea that I use quite often. "SHARE" the subject. Depending on the subject and it's position/location, there are times when two or more photographers are able to work with different angles/distances on the same subject. You can also include a photographer along with the subject in YOUR image. There are many factors, of course, you don't want to frighten the subject or create backscatter, etc.; but rarely will your lighting interfere with theirs (and sometimes it may even enhance the image).
It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users