• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Prone to Seasickness

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Itsa

Itsa

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:OW Diver
  • Logged Dives:7

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:33 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of a sensitive stomach when it comes to being on a small boat. During my checkout dives I went without medication on the first day and felt pretty sick. On the second day I took non-drowsy Dramamine and was down for the count once I got back to my room. Does anyone have any suggestions? By the way, we are not talking rough seas here. It also disappears once I'm in the water.

Take care,
Itsa

Edited by Itsa, 03 August 2011 - 01:34 PM.

#2 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

This is what I use.

http://www.bonine.com/

aka Meclize Hydrochloride

non drowess.

Take 1 midnight before flying or boat trip, chewable. If your really senative to motion 1 more 90 minutes before dive. For really bad motion sickness get a Rx for the patch.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#3 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

There are two kinds of "seasickness" that affect divers. The one is sparked off by the motion of the boat, and starts in the inner ear. That (I have always thought) is largely psychosomatic and can be dealt with without drugs. It's still very real when it hits you, of course.

The other sort is totally physical and starts in the stomach. I think it's a consequence of having a slightly over-full stomach and then being horizontal in the water. That can be quite unpleasant until you reduce the volume in the stomach (by vomiting), and thereafter pretty well goes away. I have been known on occasion to suffer from this variety, though I've never suffered from the first type.

#4 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

Itsa,

I'm with scubaski on this. I take about 25mg of Meclizine that I can pick up fairly economically at a drugstore/pharmacy. Just ask for it at the pharmacy counter (it does not need a prescription, but they have bottles of 100 pills that are as cheap or cheaper than a dozen in the Bonine brand name packages behind the pharmacy counter, just ask).

I'll have my trusty bottle with me on the Cooper River trip this weekend, just in case I need it.

#5 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

The one is sparked off by the motion of the boat, and starts in the inner ear. That (I have always thought) is largely psychosomatic and can be dealt with without drugs.

This is not a psychosomatic issue, although if thinking so is a placebo for you, then go for it!

I get 'seasick' in cars, on fast elevators, on fair rides, on swings, and most especially on boats or in surge. For me, it is an inner-ear issue that is horribly sensitive to motion. If you don't have the condition, you can't understand what we go through - both while trying to prevent the feeling, or while suffering through the episode.. I can wear the scopolamine patch AND take meclizine 3 times a day, and still get sick. I'm a strong-willed woman. If the power of the mind worked to prevent inner ear motion sickness, I would either never be seasick, or I would be dead..... 'cuz I prayed for that during the worst episodes, believe me.

Itsa, I feel for you. The meclizine should work for you, if you take it early enough (start the day before you get on the boat) and continue to take it at least 2x per day until you're done diving. Milder cases of seasickness seem to respond very well to this regime.
We also have other threads on this very topic in our Dive Related section of the forum. Feel free to dig through and find those....many of the responses are the same over the years, you'll find.
Posted Image

#6 Itsa

Itsa

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:OW Diver
  • Logged Dives:7

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:50 PM

Thanks everyone for your help! I get motion sick in stop and go traffic and airplanes, but I can usually manage it by breathing deeply and looking out the window! I've always had trouble in boats. I'll look into the medications you suggested.

Itsa

The one is sparked off by the motion of the boat, and starts in the inner ear. That (I have always thought) is largely psychosomatic and can be dealt with without drugs.

This is not a psychosomatic issue, although if thinking so is a placebo for you, then go for it!

I get 'seasick' in cars, on fast elevators, on fair rides, on swings, and most especially on boats or in surge. For me, it is an inner-ear issue that is horribly sensitive to motion. If you don't have the condition, you can't understand what we go through - both while trying to prevent the feeling, or while suffering through the episode.. I can wear the scopolamine patch AND take meclizine 3 times a day, and still get sick. I'm a strong-willed woman. If the power of the mind worked to prevent inner ear motion sickness, I would either never be seasick, or I would be dead..... 'cuz I prayed for that during the worst episodes, believe me.

Itsa, I feel for you. The meclizine should work for you, if you take it early enough (start the day before you get on the boat) and continue to take it at least 2x per day until you're done diving. Milder cases of seasickness seem to respond very well to this regime.
We also have other threads on this very topic in our Dive Related section of the forum. Feel free to dig through and find those....many of the responses are the same over the years, you'll find.

#7 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of a sensitive stomach when it comes to being on a small boat. During my checkout dives I went without medication on the first day and felt pretty sick. On the second day I took non-drowsy Dramamine and was down for the count once I got back to my room. Does anyone have any suggestions? By the way, we are not talking rough seas here. It also disappears once I'm in the water.

Take care,
Itsa

An old Navy Chief once told me - "there be two kinds of sailors - them that's been seasick, and them that will"

Happy to say it's never been a problem for me, so I can't tell you personal experience of what worked for me - the posts so far look good - and I think worth emphasizing is all the medications MUST be taken before you get underway.

My wife's best friend has severe motion sickness - any moving platform - she got Scopalamine patches for a cruise and reported good results - they are prescription not OTC.

Edited by Capn Jack, 03 August 2011 - 06:01 PM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

• Guests

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

scopalomine is another option. It is prescription and consists of a patch that goes behind your ear. Warning, if you are allergic to it then it might make you drunk though which could be a considered a plus or minus depending on who you are. We had a member that was allergic to it in Turks and Caicos and she could not walk until she took the patch off. She kept putting face prints in walls. That is rare.

I've never been seasick and hope I never am but I've seen it plenty of times and if that is psychosomatic then I am a monkey's uncle. That assumes you don't believe in evolution of course because of you do then I actually am a monkeys uncle (ape's uncle actually) :)

#9 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

There's some other tricks to minimize Mal de Mur, eat light or not at all before diving. Chew a couple of Roll Aid anti acid tablets before diving. Stay away from exhaust of boat. Stay upright and try to focus on horizon,try not to bend over, rather lower yourself by bending your knees. Stay close to center point of boat.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#10 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

Shame shame Scott, you went the wrong direction. It would be great^n grand nephew. :P

#11 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

Well I'm convinced Scott is not a monkey's uncle or many greats grand nephew (now an in-law I'm not so sure about :teeth: )

Really, if it's psychosomatic then I guess I'd better have my head examined...er, scratch that, um, I guess it's too late.

We now return to our regular topic of interest...

#12 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

scopalomine is another option. It is prescription and consists of a patch that goes behind your ear. Warning, if you are allergic to it then it might make you drunk though which could be a considered a plus or minus depending on who you are. We had a member that was allergic to it in Turks and Caicos and she could not walk until she took the patch off. She kept putting face prints in walls. That is rare.

I've never been seasick and hope I never am but I've seen it plenty of times and if that is psychosomatic then I am a monkey's uncle. That assumes you don't believe in evolution of course because of you do then I actually am a monkeys uncle (ape's uncle actually)

The patch worked wonders for me, and I actually used it for the first time on the liveaboard trip referenced above without any noticeable side effects. I have used on several other trips since then, including Key Largo a couple of weeks ago. On that trip I did feel a bit dehydrated and I drank lots of water.
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:40 PM

The patch makes me quesy AND they are prescription. Try the Meclizine first to see if it works starting a day or so early and taking at least 2x a day taking at least 2 pills but you can take up to 4 per dose. These work wonders...are very inexpensive and do not require a prescription nor do they have any side effects for most people.

I used to be the Queen of Green... eating candied ginger DOES help many as well as ginger snaps and ginger ale. I would only eat pretzels to absorb stomach acid and NEVER anything heavy or greasy. Keep it light in case you have to recycle it for the fishes.

I suffered from BOTH types of seasickness and you can over time adapt to the first type IF you spend enough consistent time on boats and moving vehicles. Do not task load meaning don't try to read, but rather find a good flow of fresh air and look at the horizon until your inner ear adjusts. Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

I use the meclizine and the patch depending on the severity of the conditions and the duration of exposure to the motion. I was having a severe bout prior to my getting a good handle on it and a doctor on the boat offered me Zoforn aka Ondansetron. it is a medication given to chemo patients to counter the effects of the cancer treatment. it has very few side effects. When I ask my doctor about it he raised an eye to my request but after my explanation and he looked into it he gladly wrote the prescription. One of the big plus’s with them is you can take them after you start to feel sick. I take two as soon as I feel that of so familiar feeling and in VERY short order I'm my own loveable self again. This is what has worked for me. I have paid for a lot of boat rides where I couldn't dive or more often than not can't do the second dive. The best advice I can give is find a regimen that works for you and stick to it.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#15 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:50 PM

Jerry, Do you use the Meclizine or patch AND then if feeling ill, take some Zoforn?? Do you double dip the drugs ??
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users