• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

GOES.... Global Entry Card

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 HoustonAngelfish

HoustonAngelfish

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

i just signed up for the global entry card, goes.anybody use it?

Here is the link below if interested. You must register first THEN you can apply. When you register you will get a User ID which you can then use to apply for the GOES card. Click HERE to start the process. -SD Staff

Edited by WreckWench, 11 August 2011 - 09:03 AM.

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

Several people use it. See the topic started on SD.com in 2009 here:

http://www.singlediv...__1#entry248953
Posted Image

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:23 AM

I want to get one but I'm never in DFW long enough to get it. How long did it take you and what did you have to do?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 HoustonAngelfish

HoustonAngelfish

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:13 AM

I want to get one but I'm never in DFW long enough to get it. How long did it take you and what did you have to do?

you fill out a detailed application online and submit it.it took about 2 weeks for it to be processed for me.then you schedule an interview in person. i havent done the interview yet,but the goes office says it only takes 20 - 30 minutes.the cost is $100 for 5 years.

#5 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

Love the concept. If they ever expand it to my city(Denver), I would probably do it.

#6 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:31 AM

Dan and I both have it - LOVE IT. I think it's good for 5 years. Well worth the money.
Known puker

#7 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:50 AM

Some one said to save your initial submission fee if you've had any kind of felony arrest. ( I think very few of us has any)....
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#8 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:59 AM

Dan and I both have it - LOVE IT. I think it's good for 5 years. Well worth the money.

Sandy, OK so you breeze thur the Immigation check point. But how long are you waiting at the Baggage Carosel in Custome Hall to retrive your bags and then proceed thur the Custom checkpoint where you hand over your declaration form?? It's been a 50/50 split for me. a short wait @ Immigation officer less than 5 min but I still wait on bags vs a long wait @ Immigation officer more that 15min and my bags haven't reacher the carosel yet. I find the baggage claim area and Custom form hand off as a choke point that I'm not sure GOES will help speed you thur..
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#9 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

Sandy, OK so you breeze thur the Immigation check point. But how long are you waiting at the Baggage Carosel in Custome Hall to retrive your bags and then proceed thur the Custom checkpoint where you hand over your declaration form?? It's been a 50/50 split for me. a short wait @ Immigation officer less than 5 min but I still wait on bags vs a long wait @ Immigation officer more that 15min and my bags haven't reacher the carosel yet. I find the baggage claim area and Custom form hand off as a choke point that I'm not sure GOES will help speed you thur..

I have GE for a year now. I think it is the best thing since sliced bread.

I gather you have never entered at Dulles Airport (IAD) or Miami before? Well, I have and have stood in the immigration line for over an hour at both places. With Global Entry, I use the lineless GE Kiosk, and if it is not working, I am directed to the line for the flight crew. Can't beat that....

Regarding luggage, you only have to wait if you actually check luggage! If doing carryon, then you proceed immediately to the special Global Entry Customs Exit point. If there is a line, you go to the FRONT of the regular line. The CBP agents take you ahead of the people without GE. Yes, you are at the mercy of the airline baggage handler about collecting checked in bags, but except for my yesterday flight (SQ F) my bags usually come out within the first 5-15 minutes. Because you are already past immigration, you do get a luggage trolley easily and can position yourself at the point about the luggage belt that you prefer.

If having Global Entry allows me to make just one tight connection (say for a delayed flight) in the 5 years I have it, it is worth every penny.

The process is entirely online. You fill in a questionnaire that asks for personal information like residence and work history, countries visited, crime record, etc. Takes about 20 minutes to do. Provide your credit card # and press send. You are given a confirmation code to follow up on your application. Last year when I did the application, I was given "provisional acceptance" in a week's time, and provided the information to do the "interview". Interviews are at nearly all the major airports in the US with international flights. I selected JFK, and got a Saturday 11:30am appointment. I arrived a few minutes early, and was ushered in early. The nice female CBP agent took my picture, digital fingerprints, stuck a CBP sticker in the last page of my passport and showed me how to use the kiosk. It is simple, and the directions are on the machine. You do not ever need to fill in that blue and white form again! I then visited the Oasis Lounge in T4 (location of CBP at JFK) to celebrate with an adult beverage. It was that easy!

You can schedule your interview at any airport on the list and it takes less than the 30 scheduled minutes.

Did I say I love my Global Entry?!

Edited by secretsea18, 07 August 2011 - 09:32 PM.

#10 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

Interesting thread.I missed this one last yr.Just my .02. psi.
This sounds like duplication of the NEW Passport...?Without the fingerprints. If I'm not mistaken I thought there is a secret code embossed somehow on the new passports issued.I only mention this as I had to renew mine in Jan.of this yr.
Thanks Tammy for the link, I did read all those as well. it does sound like a good thing, but,as Scubatex pointed out .If he has to wait a few extra min.,Oh well.Since I always have A checked bag,doesn't sound like I'd go to the front line??

Does this mean you don't have to carry your passport,if you have GE?

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#11 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

This sounds like duplication of the NEW Passport...?Without the fingerprints. If I'm not mistaken I thought there is a secret code embossed somehow on the new passports issued.I only mention this as I had to renew mine in Jan.of this yr.
Thanks Tammy for the link, I did read all those as well. it does sound like a good thing, but,as Scubatex pointed out .If he has to wait a few extra min.,Oh well.Since I always have A checked bag,doesn't sound like I'd go to the front line??

No, you still need both.

#12 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:55 PM

The passport is just a passport with a special chip inside the front cover. You still need a passport. Global Entry is a 'trusted traveler' program that allows you to have basically expedited immigration and customs experience. If you do not travel internationally much, then it is not for you. If you like to wait in lots of lines, then it is not for you. If you schedule 4+ hours between flights cause you like to sit around in airport terminals, it is not for you.

I and friends have been able to move up on our connecting flights using GE. I don't always have a checked bag, but when I do they usually come out early, then you are out of that part of the airport much, much faster.

It is $100 for a 5 year GE membership. So just $20/year. It may not be worth it for you, but is for me.

You still need your passport to use in the kiosk.

#13 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:15 PM

I'm waiting for an equivalent for non-US citizens.

#14 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:37 AM

The passport is just a passport with a special chip inside the front cover. You still need a passport. Global Entry is a 'trusted traveler' program that allows you to have basically expedited immigration and customs experience. If you do not travel internationally much, then it is not for you. If you like to wait in lots of lines, then it is not for you. If you schedule 4+ hours between flights cause you like to sit around in airport terminals, it is not for you.

I and friends have been able to move up on our connecting flights using GE. I don't always have a checked bag, but when I do they usually come out early, then you are out of that part of the airport much, much faster.

It is $100 for a 5 year GE membership. So just $20/year. It may not be worth it for you, but is for me.

Robin,as for the waiting.I don't think anyone here appreciates long waiting times.As for the C note cost,it's not unreasonable.I think you clarrified it more with the "trusted traveler".As for 4 hrs. between flights.Never experienced that much time yet,nor do I want to.Do I travel Int'l much? Only when I'm going on a Dive trip,once or twice a yr.I'll give it more consideration,as you mention you are "expedited" through immagration,& thats a bonus.Thanks for your comment.
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#15 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:52 PM

Robin,as for the waiting.I don't think anyone here appreciates long waiting times.As for the C note cost,it's not unreasonable.I think you clarrified it more with the "trusted traveler".As for 4 hrs. between flights.Never experienced that much time yet,nor do I want to.Do I travel Int'l much? Only when I'm going on a Dive trip,once or twice a yr.I'll give it more consideration,as you mention you are "expedited" through immagration,& thats a bonus.Thanks for your comment.

Welcome.

I have used mine 6 times in the last year. Several times with just a carryon...

GE gets me to the airline lounge much much sooner. :teeth:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users