• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

GOES.... Global Entry Card

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:06 AM

I was not sure if it would help me or not but from reading this I can clearly see that I'll get more online computer time by clearing faster as well as make my connections faster if needed! And yes Miami is a pill....just expediting thru there is worth the price!!!

I was worried about the interview due to my timing but I should be able to schedule it in conjuntion with one of my trips to avoid a special trip since I no longer live in a metropolitan area!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:36 AM

I filed the application yesterday. We'll see how long it taks. Here is the link in case anyone else is interested:

https://goes-app.cbp....gov/pkmslogout

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#18 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:13 AM

Have used Global entry for years since the program started. Best thing since sliced bread. With tighter and tighter international connections, it has proven invaluable in making sure I make my connections. I absolutely love it.

Most recent example... I just returned from Greece. Flight left Athens 30 min late, cutting our already tight connection time in Newark (WITH CUSTOMS/ IMMIGRATION/ SECURITY) to 45 minutes!!! I was in Business, so got out of the plane first, and was running. Had to be at work the next morning lol. One of my friends trying to catch the same connection to San Diego was sitting further back. I coaxed the attendants to move her up front before we landed. She got stuck in the loooong immigration line for at least 30 minutes. I breezed up to an empty Global entry kiosk and went through immigration in a second, waited a bit for my bag, went through customs, RAN for the connecting gate and made it just before they closed the door. Needless to say, she missed the flight... even though I asked them to wait for her, and got home to San Diego after midnight after very inventive rerouting.. including an unplanned drive from LAX!!! Unnecessary, since I've been telling her for two years to sign up!!!!

It has been worth every penny and the minimal time used to sign up for it. I will renew it when it expires AND sign up for the trusted traveler program too when it is rolled out.

BTW, technically, once you pick up your bags, you are supposed to be able to hold up your Global entry kiosk receipt, and the customs agents are supposed to call you to the head of the line. Unfortunately several of the agents themselves do not know this... surprise!!! So I have had that done about 50% of the time.

It does not even have to be at your closest airport.. main usefulness is if it is at the airport you connect internationally through the most....

Edited by Divegirl412, 11 October 2011 - 12:14 AM.

#19 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:43 AM

Sounds as if it works better than the ESTA arrangement for non-citizens. This is mandatory on-line pre-registration for people visiting he US, and once obtained a registration lasts two years (although I thought they originally announced three). I applied for it before a visit to Texas back in Feb/Mar this year where I met a good few of you at a HH. It would then be good for two (three?) years, so I didn't bother to do anything more before a recent trip to Boston. I turned up at the airport, presented my passport (my ticket was of course electronic), and was told I couldn't board because I wouldn't be permitted to enter the US. When I gently (!) enquired as to why this should be, I was told that I didn't have an ESTA registration. I showed documentary proof (officially not required but I had taken it anyway) of my registration in February, and they just shrugged their shoulders and said it had been cancelled. Remember, I was dealing with airline officials, not US INS staff. With the active personal assistance of a lady from Spirit Air I made my flight with 10 minutes to spare, and $14 poorer. Seems they decided to make some money from the scheme, so changed it to introduce a $14 charge. No problem there, but they seem to have further decided to cancel all permits already issued free, without telling the holders (even though they have email addresses). The catch is that they only permit the application on-line, and the payment MUST be made with a credit card. Many non-Americans don't have credit cards, and although I did mine had expired and a new one was waiting for me at my ultimate destination of UK. And you try accessing a website when you're standing in a booking-in lobby at an airport. With less helpful airline staff I would without doubt have missed my plane. I confess I had several uncharitable thoughts about the US INS, to add to others previously held!

Edited by peterbj7, 11 October 2011 - 07:44 AM.

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:02 AM

After one use I'm SPOILED ROTTEN!

I had my interview on the way to the Grand Cayman trip in Miami. Could not get an interveiw in Dallas or elsewhere but had plenty of options via Miami. Interview went very easy (expected some flack about being born in Tripoli Libya but no problems)

Practiced on the kiosk and then used it for real on return from Grand Cayman to Miami on Saturday. It literally took more time to find the kiosk then it did to clear customs. I was then looking for the line for GOES users which seemed to be by the Diplomat Line. But when I got close the agent said "you are done go out that door to your luggage". I got my luggage and proceeded to the line to hand off my paperwork when I noticed a special line for GOES users. I then bypassed all those lines and flew thru. When the agent took my pass hezee was actually friendly to me. NORMALLY they quiz me as to why I have so much luggage and where I've been. It was such a change to have the agent be nice to me...I was shocked.

I had a ton of time left over and I can now safely allow less time between flights knowing I can still get home but not miss my connections. For $100 or $20 a year since its good for 5 years... I'M SOLD!!!!

Even after one use I never want to stand in the custom lines again. When I return from Italy with my mom and her friend the 24th I'll have to stand in line with them but I'll clear via GOES first and just hang with them. I truly liked the agent being nice to me so will at least do that part even if I don't go to the front of the lines while I'm waiting with my mom.

formerly...

#21 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

I had my interview on the way to the Grand Cayman trip in Miami. Could not get an interveiw in Dallas or elsewhere but had plenty of options via Miami. Interview went very easy (expected some flack about being born in Tripoli Libya but no problems)

Could you share with us what the interview consisted of (types of questions asked)? How long it took?

Do you know if there are any automatic factors that preclude someone getting on the program? For example, I have heard that if you have ANY type of legal ding on your record, including misdemeanors, that you cannot get into this program.

I am also assuming that this program is for people who have nothing to declare at Customs, which is why you are sailing through so quickly.

PPM

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:50 PM

You fill out the same custom's declaration form as everyone else...only you do it online via the kioak. SUPER EASY!! So if I have something to declare I can.

Questions were where I had traveled and where I was planning to travel. What I did for a living. Why I wanted the card. Verified address and my docs. That was basically it. SUPER EASY.

If you have any police records you will be turned down and lose your $100 application fee. Not sure what level of infraction counts.

formerly...

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

Got my official card today. Have to register it online within 30 days. Did not need the card when using the kiosk. Card is needed when there is no kiosk. But they put a sticker in your passport that also works if you do not have the card.

formerly...

#24 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

Glad things are speedier for you Wenchie, but the cynic in me wants to see a system where the long lines and wait times for ALL travelers are shortened so everyone can get through to their flights on time.

Of the two or three dozen airline flights I have taken, none have been hijacked or blown up. My former military career, honorable discharge and the Top Secret security clearances I used to carry also carry no weight. The vast majority of people are just like that. Honest and law abiding. Yet the system treats everyone as if they are Colombian cartel drug mules.

All it is going to take is one person with an agenda and a GOES card to do something dumb. The good times will stop rolling soon after and then everyone will be back in that big long line.

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#25 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

"All it is going to take is one person with an agenda and a GOES card to do something dumb. The good times will stop rolling soon after and then everyone will be back in that big long line."

That's why TSA is our best defense on flights from USA!!!! (removing tounge from cheek now)

Actually with the GOES card you become a Trusted Traveller (TSA program to go online soon) for TSA to express you thur security departure lines.

TSA link below:

http://www.tsa.gov/w...escreening.shtm

Edited by scubaski, 12 October 2011 - 03:56 PM.

MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#26 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:40 PM

Well, I'm $100 poorer. Just enrolled online today Oct 12Th. With the pre-registration, registration, a couple of computer glitch, some errors in filling forms, overall takes about 1 hour. 30 seconds collecting the C-note. I'll update when electronic form clears GOES vetting and I can schedule in-person interview.
Ss
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#27 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

Oct 17th, 4.5 days after online enrollment and I'm conditionally accepted into Global Entry Program. If I can get out of work early on Tuesday, I could make a 5:30pm appointment for in-person interview and photo-printing, I may opt for a appointment later in week.

Edited by scubaski, 17 October 2011 - 06:39 PM.

MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#28 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

Stan you are lucky to live in a major city. I had to FLY to one for my appointment!!

And the $100 is actually only $20 a year as the card is good for 5 years. CHEAP AT THE PRICE!!!

formerly...

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:35 AM

Glad things are speedier for you Wenchie, but the cynic in me wants to see a system where the long lines and wait times for ALL travelers are shortened so everyone can get through to their flights on time.

Of the two or three dozen airline flights I have taken, none have been hijacked or blown up. My former military career, honorable discharge and the Top Secret security clearances I used to carry also carry no weight. The vast majority of people are just like that. Honest and law abiding. Yet the system treats everyone as if they are Colombian cartel drug mules.

All it is going to take is one person with an agenda and a GOES card to do something dumb. The good times will stop rolling soon after and then everyone will be back in that big long line.

INTERESTING SIDEBAR....

I have now been pulled for level 4 security clearance twice since my GOES acceptance. The last one indicated that the frequent travelers will be called more frequently. So although we may be 'trusted'...it is 'trust but verify'.

I have never been called for a level 4 SSSS security check before. It is quite annoying but I guess its to prevent just the thing Simon alludes can happen. However its someone else's turn...I've had 2 in almost as many trips! :banghead:

formerly...

#30 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

I have never been called for a level 4 SSSS security check before.

I have. Three times. When you are keen and eager to get there early, be first in line so you can get through security and have time to relax on the other side; they hold that against you and book you for additional security screening. I learned my lesson. Be one with the herd.

:P
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users