• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Have you EATEN lionfish before?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:53 AM

Have you eaten lionfish before? If so how was it prepared? Was it good? Would you eat it again? Where did you eat it? Did you catch it yourself?

Sound off in this fun and entertaining thread...if you dare...

and let us know if you think Lionfish are the OTHER white meat??? ;) Or at least the other 'white' fish!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:14 AM

and let us know if you think Lionfish are the OTHER white meat??? ;) Or at least the other 'white' fish!!!

No, that would be 'another' white meat.

I understand that in Mexico, someone is attempting to promote lionfish recipes as a means of attempting to curb the skyrocketing population of the species. Have not heard how successful it's been.

PPM

#3 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:09 AM

Haven't yet but I would like to try some. Sounds yummy!

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#4 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

They are yummy! We caught and ate them during my trip to Roatan. Pan fried, they were light, delicate, flaky, and not at all fishy tasting.

BTW, perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but with my new iPad2 I can't post on any forum ... not only here but on other similar bulletin board type sites.

#5 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

Lionfish is light and very tasty. Simpler preparations work best. Poaching with lemon juice.

All we have to do is convince the Chinese it is more of an aphrodisiac than shark fin soup.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

All we have to do is convince the Chinese it is more of an aphrodisiac than shark fin soup.

I like the solution you came up with! :evilgrin:
Posted Image

#7 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

All of us on the 2011 Mayagiana were treated to lionfish, through the efforts of WreckWench, Orcaman, and ScubaVazz. Two of them received the badge of pain and swelling after being 'stung' by their prey. We were fortunate to have a chef onboard, who cleaned and cooked them for us. While the lionfish is light & tender, it has no taste. Personally, I'd rather have a fish with taste. What's the point of eating salmon, if it didn't have its characteristic taste.

Bill

DSC_0065.JPG

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#8 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

Better yet,Get the Food channel to do a bit on it..It's the NEW MCfish,I don't think anyone would notice...just sayin
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#9 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

Lionfish is light and very tasty. Simpler preparations work best. Poaching with lemon juice.

That is an excellent idea! SD needs to recruit or sponsor a China dive club to meet SD dive club at a spot where lion fish in the Caribbean are out of control. I'll go.

#10 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

From my Undercurrent magazine received yesterday:

A New Lionfish Hazard to Worry About

For a couple of years, conservationists have been saying that one way to reduce the population of the destructive renegade lionfish on Caribbean reefs is to spear it and eat it. Maybe not. Conservationists in St. Maarten are warning islanders not to eat lionfish after November tests found a naturally-occurring toxin in its flesh. Those findings deal a blow to the island’s efforts to contain the spread of the venomous predator. Following the lead of other Caribbean islands, St. Maarten had hoped to promote the species as batterfried or grilled entrees to slow their spread. But Tadzio Bervoets, chief of St. Maarten’s Nature Foundation, said nearly half the football-sized lionfish captured in local waters were found to have a biotoxin that can lead to ciguatera poisoning, which has serious symptoms. Ciguatera poisoning is caused by eating some subtropical and tropical fish predators, including grouper, snapper and barracuda, which live by reefs and accumulate the toxin in their flesh from eating smaller fish that graze on poisonous algae. Human symptoms are abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, tingling and numbness. Most patients recover in a few days. Some never recover. The worst-case scenarios are paralysis or death. No one has become sick from eating lionfish in St. Maarten, but more than a dozen cases of ciguatera poisoning are reported each year from people eating barracuda and jacks. St. Maarten’s waters have long suffered from high levels of ciguatoxin, so Bervoets said the test results on lionfish were not a complete surprise. Nonetheless, “this means that we cannot safely promote lionfish as an edible species” in St. Maarten. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration have had no official reports of illness associated with the consumption of lionfish. “But in endemic areas of ciguatera, toxins have been detected at levels exceeding FDA guidance, and could cause illness if consumed,” said FDA spokesman Douglas Karas. “The Virgin Islands is one of those areas.” In recent months, the U.S. agency has collected more than 186 lionfish from the waters around the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Of these, scientists have tested 74 fish to date, with 26 percent confirmed to contain ciguatoxins at levels exceeding FDA guidance. William Coles, chief of environmental education with the U.S. Virgin Islands Division of Fish and Wildlife, said fishermen there know well where ciguatoxins accumulate, and avoid catching fish in those areas. “So we have about the same level of concern with lionfish that we do with any other fish, but it’s still a major concern.” Across the Caribbean, it remains to be seen exactly how much impact fishing and marketing of lionfish can have. For now, it’s the only hope in sight. “They are definitely multiplying,” said Bervoets. “That’s why it’s such a shame we can’t eat them here.”
Posted Image

#11 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

Tammy,what was interesting in your information.I wasn't aware of the toxins in Grouper & Snapper.Two fish I'll have here & away.They must be in the lighter side of toxin's.Truely a large impact to the battle.....Unless we arm every diver with a spear gun,which is not reccomended..Plan C ??
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#12 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

I'll carry my lionfish-killing spear anyplace in the Caribbean that allows it, and I will continue to kill lionfish and try to feed them to eels, groupers, sharks, or whatever else shows an interest. If Wenchie wants me to put big kills into her catch-bag, I'll do that.

But I'll only ever have a single bite-sized taste....because I don't really like to eat fish! Growing up in a desert will do that to ya.... :D
Posted Image

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

We had a number of delicious Lionfish in Belize this past week that we caught! And I am happy to report no problems except for the fish of course. ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

Excellent! I wonder if there is a report out there somewhere that will tell us exactly where the high levels of poisonous algae are in the Caribbean....or if the levels fluctuate?
Posted Image

#15 Jo Canuck

Jo Canuck

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:120

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

BTW, perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but with my new iPad2 I can't post on any forum ... not only here but on other similar bulletin board type sites.

Had the same problem with my iPad and a friend suggested" there was probably an app for that "

Try using the app Tapatalk. It was a few dollars but now I can reply to the discussion. Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users