• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

911 help w/attachments

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

Ok,After spending almost 2 days of trying to solve this problem.I'm at the mercy of a tech here for help.I hope I'm not over stepping my limits here.I hope family here can help..
I usually never have a problem with attachments (i.e. pix) in using my g mail acccount. I now have this " fake path" wording pop up & in my research discovered that google has intiated this as a security measure.No more than 20 mb of info can be sent.Upon further research ,it was suggested I enable my security option to: "allow local directory path when uploading files to sever". That eliminated the fake path,but still doesn't allow the pix to be sent.I brought it up to my LDS.They don't have a answer. Another google sugestion was to do Chrome,but then another response said it to did not work..I was so proud of some of the pix from GCM ,I was trying to send them to my other Non diving friends.
I am beside myself as to what to try next. To offer any insite my op system is xp.BTW I did do a system check for any malware etc.
I'm all ears for any suggestions..

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

• Guests

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

Divide the file into multiple files less then 20 mb. I would limit it to 5 mb per message. Every server I know has file size limitations and 20mb is definitely over the limit of every one I have ever seen.

#3 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

Divide the file into multiple files less then 20 mb. I would limit it to 5 mb per message. Every server I know has file size limitations and 20mb is definitely over the limit of every one I have ever seen.

Thanks Scott..This is where I show my non computer skills.I would go into tools or??As for the file limit . I was told 20mb should be able to handle most attachments...?? It was also mentioned ,I shouldn't have to reduce my photos.
P.S. Should've let my avatar alone.nothing shows on that now.Reduced photo etc.Nothing shows...

Edited by Greg@ihpil, 20 October 2011 - 04:29 PM.

Greg

• Guests

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

Are you trying to upload to SD? What are you doing?

#5 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:20 PM

I also recommend just sending a few at a time, so the total is less than 5Mb. 20 Mb is WAAAAAYYY to big a file for most email servers, including mine!

The best solution for sharing pictures with family & friends, however, is to use a web-based photo sharing service (free) like Flickr or Drop Box. You upload all of your pictures to that service, and your family & friends can view them and even download them if they want to print them.

If you have a Facebook account, you can upload them there & share them, too, but security settings have to be set right so the people you want to see them can actually see them.

Good luck!
Posted Image

#6 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:45 PM

Are you trying to upload to SD? What are you doing?

no not for now Scott.Just to friends.The avatar is something I should've left alone.
Greg

#7 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

I also recommend just sending a few at a time, so the total is less than 5Mb. 20 Mb is WAAAAAYYY to big a file for most email servers, including mine!

The best solution for sharing pictures with family & friends, however, is to use a web-based photo sharing service (free) like Flickr or Drop Box. You upload all of your pictures to that service, and your family & friends can view them and even download them if they want to print them.

If you have a Facebook account, you can upload them there & share them, too, but security settings have to be set right so the people you want to see them can actually see them.

Good luck!

Unfortunately Tammy ,I don't have a Facebook account.And for reasons that the news has been reporting .Your personal information is comprimised and suddenly people are on your friends list ,you don't know.I just think there must be a easier way.It just popped up within the last week.I haven't had a problem until now..I'll probably have to hire a tech to come and fix??

Greg

#8 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

If in general you want to send a large file to someone, a way I've found to work is to upload it to Google Documents and "share" it with the intended recipient. I sent someone a video of just under 1/2 gig that way recently.

#9 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:04 PM

Use Flicker for posting and sharing your photos to family and friends, really no private and sensitive info needed.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#10 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:51 AM

Apparently google has received a number of complaints about this revision,,for security reasons...Thanks Peter & Stan, I'll look into these options.Thanks!!
Greg

#11 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:04 AM

Morning,

There are several factors at work here.

Email attachments. Back in the days when I had hair, email did not carry any files at all. People used FTP (or Gopher, which really dates me) to send files and email was used only for the written word. Later, a way was invented for people to manually convert executable files to text and attachments were born. Initially, limits were seldom over 2MB per message. As file sizes grew (pictures are the biggest culprit here. Some cameras use 12MB a picture.) ISP's tried to keep up. The average ISP size limit for attachments today is around 10-12MB. If a file exceeds file sizes you may get a rejection error message that will say:

451 Possible Virus Detected, try again later
451 Please try again for virus detection
571 Virus Blocked
582 This message violates our email policy
552 Message too large
582 The file attached violates our email policy

Note that a lot of ISP's do NOT generate error message at all on the above. Posted Image

Today GMail can handle up to 25MB attachments. ...but wait you say. I can only send 20MB on GMail! Text in emails is represented by numbers from 0-127, but binary files (pictures, word docs, MP3's, etc.) use values of 0-255. So to represent binary values in text every three bits of the file you are sending actually takes four bits of text to represent that value. So a file attachment on email grows 25-40% depending on the encoding method employed in your email. (For those technically minded folk out there, yes I am dramatically oversimplifying this process for the purposes of demonstration.) Also realize that ISP's filter attachments. Try sending an MP3 to yourself on GMail as an example. You can get around this by using ZIP files sometimes, but spammers and people who write viruses use this method as well. So even if the file is the right size, there is no guarantee a virus scanner will not delete your attachment even if it is benign. Posted Image

So given those limits you have a few options outside of setting up your own personal FTP site. First TheFileSplitter is a free program that can break a large file down into several pieces for transmission. It even creates a small EXE file to recreate the file on the other side. When you split a file, you write several emails and put a piece of the file in each. The receiver saves the attachments in a directory, runs the EXE file and recreates the original file. Cumbersome, but it works (as long as the EXE file is not removed by the ISP). :D

You can also try compressing the files you are sending. ZIP is the predominant standard, but I prefer 7-Zip as it can reduce files down to 1-2% of the original file size in most cases. JPG, GIF, TIF photos are already compressed so this may not work well with pics, but with other files (especially MS Office files) compress nicely.

As an example, I compressed a MS Excel document and JPG photo with Zip and 7-Zip:

Original size: 113,202 KB (Excel)
Zip size: 1,879 KB
7z size: 510 KB

Original size: 1,506KB (Photo)
Zip size: 1,469 KB
7z size: 1,464 KB

Another method is to use an intermediary web site. Some were suggested already by others, but I use MediaFire. You can upload up to 100MB files and have unlimited storage. You upload the files then send the person a web link like:

http://www.mediafire...53c896cc26g.jpg

The receiving party just clicks on that link and views or downloads the file. You can send a picture, or an entire directory of files this way to one or many people.

Last, for really large file transfers of a GigaBytes or more (1,024 MegaBytes = 1 GigaBit) you can burn a DVD and mail it. This works surprisingly well, you don't tie up your bandwidth for days on end and your recipient has a hard copy forever.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#12 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

...... you can burn a DVD and mail it. This works surprisingly well, you don't tie up your bandwidth for days on end and your recipient has a hard copy forever.

I like this best! When I get home from a trip and have sorted out my pictures, I always burn them to a CD for myself to protect them (my photo albums are all CD's), so it's nothing to burn a second or third CD to share with others!
Posted Image

#13 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:12 AM

Hotmail also has the "Sky drive" now that will let you send up to 20G with your email.

#14 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

...... you can burn a DVD and mail it. This works surprisingly well, you don't tie up your bandwidth for days on end and your recipient has a hard copy forever.

I like this best! When I get home from a trip and have sorted out my pictures, I always burn them to a CD for myself to protect them (my photo albums are all CD's), so it's nothing to burn a second or third CD to share with others!

I started doing this and realized "space" was going to eventually catch up. First it was the flash drive stick.Then I went and bought a portable hard drive..That way I can carry/show my photos in travel's.I noticed on the trip some of the "photo" inclined.Remove the card & save it as the hard copy so to speak..
Greg

• Guests

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:19 PM

Lets all keep in mind that NOBODY appreciates a 20MB email. It will hog up their machine and if they try to download it on cellular simply by checking their email then they may send the bill to you after waiting 3 hours for it to download!!! That is 10% of the base iPhone data plan in one email. If they are roaming and then it could be several hundred or thousand $$$... you don't want to take that call. Not everybody has software that can handle that or an internet connection that can. Plus no email server will be happy if you try it regardless of what the specs say. The receiving server may refuse it even if yours sends it out and neither on is guaranteed to give a failure notice. It is just not a good idea to even attempt a 20Mb email.

Be polite, post it on a site for them to download at their leisure or burn it and mail it .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users