• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Airport body scanners

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:19 PM

Did anyone else see http://www.scientifi...cancer-concerns ? As usual the authorities are lying to us, just as they lie about unexposed film not being damaged.
  • Mermaid Lady likes this

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

yup this has gone around for a while now. This is just one in a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong list of lies by TSA and the US Govt. Needless to say I opt out every time if i cant find a checkpoint without those infernal devices and as much as i detest being sexually assaulted it beats being irradiated by unlicensed medical devices.

Im gonna have to bit my tongue on this a bit because it would break the TOS in .000000000000001 of a second

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#3 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:08 PM

I have had more than my share of radiation in my life due to medical issues when I was young so I don't expose myself to radiation unless it is absolutely necessary. I would go for the pat down. Unlike a lot of people it does'nt bother me to do this. I figure if those TSA agents get a thrill then more power to them. I guess I am just not inhibited when it comes to that sort of thing. However in all of the years and the millions of air miles that I have flown both domestic and internationally, I have never been patted down or asked to go through one of these machines..
Sea Turtle advocate!

#4 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

yup this has gone around for a while now. This is just one in a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong list of lies by TSA and the US Govt. Needless to say I opt out every time if i cant find a checkpoint without those infernal devices and as much as i detest being sexually assaulted it beats being irradiated by unlicensed medical devices.

Im gonna have to bit my tongue on this a bit because it would break the TOS in .000000000000001 of a second

I agree with you here.... I always get the grope. I refuse to be exposed whatever radiation they use with those "nude-o-scopes"!

I have had more than my share of radiation in my life due to medical issues when I was young so I don't expose myself to radiation unless it is absolutely necessary. I would go for the pat down. Unlike a lot of people it does'nt bother me to do this. I figure if those TSA agents get a thrill then more power to them. I guess I am just not inhibited when it comes to that sort of thing. However in all of the years and the millions of air miles that I have flown both domestic and internationally, I have never been patted down or asked to go through one of these machines..

You must not be traveling much lately in the US... most airports have them, but there are a few that are not yet with the nude-o-scopes. I try to select lanes that do not have the device if possible. I get groped about 50% of the time due to no lanes without those nasty machines, or being directed to the lane with one.

#5 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

I agree with you here.... I always get the grope. I refuse to be exposed whatever radiation they use with those "nude-o-scopes"!

You must not be traveling much lately in the US... most airports have them, but there are a few that are not yet with the nude-o-scopes. I try to select lanes that do not have the device if possible. I get groped about 50% of the time due to no lanes without those nasty machines, or being directed to the lane with one.

I am in an airport at least once a month if not more, flying both domestically and internationally. My guess Robin is that they would much rather pat you down then me...:-)
Sea Turtle advocate!

#6 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:54 AM

Did anyone else see http://www.scientifi...cancer-concerns ? As usual the authorities are lying to us, just as they lie about unexposed film not being damaged.

I work at a Nuclear Power facility and I refuse to go into one of those nakedizing machines. And neither will any one of my co-workers.

THAT should tell you something!
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#7 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:01 AM

I got selected for one for the first time on my outbound flight the other day. I opted out and got the groping. It was pretty humiliating. My guess is that they are doing their level best to punish anyone who refuses to willingly submit to the scanners,

Edited by Mermaid Lady, 18 December 2011 - 08:02 AM.

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady

"'

#8 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:05 AM

At the risk of treading into the dreaded P word territory and violating the TOS, I will simply put forth this caveat.

The more power you give to a bully, the more power the bully will take.

Edited by Mermaid Lady, 18 December 2011 - 08:08 AM.

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady

"'

#9 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

You and me both Bro!!

Edited by Mermaid Lady, 18 December 2011 - 08:07 AM.

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady

"'

#10 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:18 AM

You and me both Bro!!

This sums up my opinion.....or where it is now:
Posted Image
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#11 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

This sums up my opinion.....or where it is now:
<snip>

Sadly it's too close to true to be funny...

Edited by Mermaid Lady, 18 December 2011 - 09:23 AM.

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady

"'

#12 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

This one's even better..
Posted Image
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#13 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:53 AM

Have to say after reading this, I opted out on my most recent flight and dealt with the groping. I may not like it, but I'll definitely take it over adding one more thing that my body has to fight to keep me from having cancer or even benign tumors.

• Guests

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:00 AM

Have to say after reading this, I opted out on my most recent flight and dealt with the groping. I may not like it, but I'll definitely take it over adding one more thing that my body has to fight to keep me from having cancer or even benign tumors.

You are more likely to get that cancer from sitting in an unshielded extremely thin metal tube at 30k feet for 1-15hrs. Satellites get burned by radiation in only a few hours without shielding. They cease to operate very quickly. Astronauts die very quickly without shielding. At 30k feet roughly half the Earth's radiation shielding is gone. These scanners are nothing in comparison to that.

I opted for the scanner, it was quick and easy. Only took 3-5 seconds. And I will do it again.

#15 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

I opted for the scanner, it was quick and easy. Only took 3-5 seconds. And I will do it again.

Law abiding citizens should not be subjected to nakedizing scanners or enhanced pat downs. :(
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady

"'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users