• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

3 SIMPLE Steps to preventing Diabetes

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

3 Ways to Prevent Diabetes, Change Your Life
By Mehmet C. Oz, MD, and Michael F. Roizen, MD

Are you on the highway to the Big D? A major tip-off is buying ever-bigger belts. The bigger your belt is, the higher your chances are of developing metabolic syndrome and prediabetes -- two blood sugar problems that are rising faster than gas prices. Don't brush 'em off as "not my problem." Instead, take the proactive route by asking your doctor for a fasting blood sugar test. (Make sure you understand what your results really mean.)

The Power to Change
Finding out you have one of these conditions can be a shocker. But there's an upside: You can still make lifestyle changes to prevent full-blown diabetes and its devastating consequences: heart attack, stroke, nerve damage, vision loss, kidney failure, and even limb amputation. (Diabetes messes with circulation, so small injuries may refuse to heal.)

These three steps will slash your risk and could even reverse your chances of developing type 2 diabetes:

1. Become a regular at the local farmers market. This alone can prevent diabetes! Eating produce cuts your risk by 24% or more, thanks in part to all that fiber, which steadies blood sugar. New evidence shows that just having some tangy arugula, crunchy baby spinach, or tender bok choy daily could lower your odds by 14%. The magnesium and polyphenols in leafy greens also help you stay sensitive to insulin, essential for blood sugar absorption. Buy citrus year-round, too: Tangerines and grapefruit contain helpful compounds called naringenin and nobiletin.

2. Trade your fancy coffee drink for sugarless, nonfat chai latte. Drinking just one sugar-loaded drink a day boosts diabetes risk 26% and metabolic syndrome risk 20%. Substituting a glass of fat-free milk does the opposite: cuts your risk 12%. Fat-free yogurt and cheese count, too. The calcium, vitamin D, and minerals in dairy help your body process blood sugar.

3. Go for more bliss, less stress. Don't wait for vacations to tame tension. Both high anxiety and lack of sleep mess with the absorption of blood sugar. Getting less than 6 hours of ZZZs a night doubles diabetes risk, as does a high-stress job. Ease your angst by turning in early, exercising to blow off steam, and finding a stress-reduction technique, such as meditation or yoga, you love.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

I contracted type II diabetes around 11 years ago and I can honestly say that none of these issues was deemed to have been a factor. I was at that time extremely fit and active and ate mostly the sort of food you're advocating. My diabetes was believed to have been caused by a knock-on viral effect - I had had severe hepatitis A 15 years previously and the doctors thought that had in some (unknown) way triggered the diabetes, the pancreas being next to the liver. Hep A (or any hepatitis) causes permanent liver damage, as evidenced by the fact that ever since I have been unable to drink much alcohol or eat much fat, as I can't metabolise these foods fast enough. I cannot get drunk - ill yes, but not drunk.

I was at the time of diabetes being diagnosed rather heavier than the standard tables suggest I should have been. Superficially this might appear to be the cause. Perhaps it is, no-one knows. I have been heavier than the tables say I should be based on my height at least ever since I was 12, but I have always been very fit and active (not so much now, for a specific but unrelated reason - see below). When health visitors visited my place of employment maybe 15 years ago they said I was too overweight to go through their exercise program. They were not interested in hearing my lifestyle. In fact, I had that morning, as I did every morning, swum 1 mile before leaving for work. That day I had driven, but in summer when the evenings were light I sometimes cycled the 35 miles each way. In winter I ski raced, in summer I kayaked 3 or 4 times a week, covering typically 10-15 miles a session. And I cycled everywhere, several hundred miles a week in all seasons and all weathers.

When I was a teenager, still "overweight", I excelled at sprinting and long-distance running. In my 20's/30's/40's I regularly cycled 160-180 miles a day for recreation.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes I polled much of my extended family, some 30 individual people. Not one of them could recall anyone in the family ever having confirmed or suspected diabetes. The condition often goes in families, by a mechanism that is not understood. My brother is by his own admission greatly overweight and leads a largely sedentary life (he was not always like that, but it followed an bad accident he had rather younger than i was when i had mine). He has 6-monthly check-ups and shows no sign of diabetes.

As I said, the only cause my doctors could come up with was the Hep A, which had been the most severe case they had come across. I was in hospital for 5 weeks, which is virtually unheard of. Even now, medical knowledge has moved on yet still my doctors in England can offer no explanation for my diabetes other than the Hep A.

At a more general level, they and I do not believe it is a coincidence that the massive increase in type II diabetes has occurred at the same time that massive agricultural and other use of antibiotics has increased. We are now exposed to large doses of antibiotics all day, every day. We know that many disease organisms have now developed immunity to all antibiotics we know. Tuberculosis was believed to have been permanently eradicated decades ago, now now it is returning and killing people - there is no longer any effective treatment.

Without any evidence to support my belief, I feel it quite likely that we have brought the present epidemic of diabetes on ourselves, and given that the antibiotic genii is now out of the bottle we have to wait until our bodies can develop their own immunity, partly by evolution. Although we can indeed reduce our likelihood of contracting the condition (it is probably not a disease) that only goes so far. I certainly feel that the thrust of the article Kamala has reprinted is false.

Footnote:- the reason I don't exercise as much now is not increasing years, although they don't help! Back in the late '80's I had a bad accident which broke quite a few bones and left me in traction for almost three months. Apparently I was resuscitated twice, and was considered unlikely to survive. Anyway, I DID survive, but ever since then one of my feet has been intolerant of sustained exercise - I have in mind running, which I used to do a lot of - and it usually rejects a boot so I now find skiing difficult. I also find the action of the arms during the "crawl" swimming stroke very uncomfortable after a while - sometimes I'm OK for a mile, other times a hundred yards is too much. This is also the reason most people who see me dive won't see me doing the sideways foot/leg movement most experienced divers use - I can do it, but it's uncomfortable.

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

The liver is key in the regulation of insulin in the body, so the logic that the damage hepatitis can do to the liver can pre-dispose you to diabetes makes sense.
Posted Image

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

Peter for many people the options stated above can help if you do not have full blown diabetes. They just make good sense. Eat better, lose weight, reduce stress.

I too believe that our GMO "gentically modified food supply" will reveal many underlying causes for many ailments but especially diabetes. Along with that is damage done to our bodies due to an over reliance/abuse of medicines and antibiotics.

If one person is benefited by this discussion then its been valuable. Thank you for sharing. Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

I couldn't agree more, Kamala, and thanks for bringing it up. Can I also suggest people who don't have an annual medical examination study the symptoms of early diabetes and check themselves against them? If in any doubt a blood sugar test is quick and easy and often free. One of the keys to a successful outcome with diabetes is early diagnosis and treatment. Now that we have such a pandemic of diabetes it behoves all of us to be on our guard.

#6 Jo Canuck

Jo Canuck

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:120

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

We are absolutely seeing many diabetics today, but I don't like the word epidemic because it makes me feel powerless against this widespread chronic condition. Family history plays a very big role, as does ethnic background and other illnesses such as Hepatitis. And when you look at a case by case basis, it seems very unfair that sometimes slim or physically active people become diabetics and on the other hand, we can all make a list of people we are surprised are not diabetic. Its very unfortunate that for some, even with great effort, they will develope diabetes because of their genetic predisposition.

Today in healthcare we look for diabetes way sooner than in years past, we screen those with family histories, risk factors and lifestyle risks. We automatically check people with high blood pressure for diabetes, and diabetics for high blood pressure. The goal is to identify people early to help them have the best outcomes.

And for all the hype, it can really be helpful to focus on the basics, the stuff your mom taught you.

1. eat right, make good choices most of the time. Lots of veggies and good quality meats and proteins, watch the portions. Just like you can't hold your breath forever, you cant deprive yourself from the fun food now and again. Just be smart with more meals than not.

2. move more, make being active a part of your life. You wont keep up a crazy workout routine very long...but you can make small changes that add up

3. stop smoking....there is no better bang for your buck healthwise

4. if you have been prescribed medication, be honest with your provider, can you afford it? are you having side effects? how and when are you actually taking it? You would be surprised how many times people admit they are doing something different than what they have been instructed. Be involved in your care.

5. LIVE A NORMAL LIFE, think in terms of being the healthiest and most normal person with a chronic illness as you can be. Do not let the chronic illness define who you are. There is no greater power than that of good attitude.

I like to explain to people that your pancreas (responsible for making insulin) is a bit like an old car, you have to be careful with it, do good maintentence, dont drive the @!&% out of it. (dont eat alot of carbs all at once or overwork it.) Look after that old car and it will serve you well for many years. It is our goal today with young diabetics to do a good job keeping thier sugars close to non diabetic numbers because it will prevent complications.

lf you do a good job managing diabetes and you live long enough; these days compared to years past we are more motivated to add insulin at an earlier stage in the progression of Diabetes. We don't view needing insulin as having failed to look after the diabetes, we view it as a success that you did not suffer life threatening complications and your still around long enough to see that little pancreas finally tucker out. We are just a bit quicker to support that pancreas with insulin.

Dont let any chronic illness steal your life, hope and power away. You can't change your genetics, but you can make good decisions and live well in spite of diabetes or other chronic conditions.

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

:thankyou: Johanne

Great advice and easy to understand and follow!

formerly...

#8 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

we are more motivated to add insulin at an earlier stage in the progression of Diabetes

I had a heated argument with a new and young doctor (ex military) on this very subject. It prompted me to change doctor. He INSISTED that I go onto insulin, totally ignoring the major lifestyle complications that that gives. As I said to him, he was bent on treating the condition with no regard to the patient. I was adamant that so long as it wasn't clinically necessary I would NOT use insulin.

My reasons were:-

1) in Britain a driver who uses insulin is not allowed to drive a heavy goods vehicle, is restricted from riding certain high-performance motorcycles, and finds insurance for motoring much more expensive. He also needs a new driving licence every year or so, and a medical examination (I have that anyway, but it is not mandatory).

2) as an insulin-injecting diabetic I would no longer be allowed to teach diving

3) I would also be unable to obtain diving insurance for deep technical diving

4) at a more prosaic level, I would now be at risk of a hypo underwater, which with my present treatment regime is effectively impossible (it's the same risk as a non-diabetic)

5) here in Belize and in other hot countries it is often impossible to obtain insulin, and it requires careful storage

And all for no benefit. My blood sugar control is (as my doctor in England said on my last checkup in September) "perfect". He does not believe in putting people on insulin unnecessarily (mainly for my reason (4) above) though he is under pressure from the BMA to do so.

There are now two "mantras" of modern medical practice/dogma that I reject. The first is the table correlating height with weight that I referred to above, which ever since I was beyond being a small child I have fallen outside. I competed successfully at national level in athletics whilst being (apparently) almost obese. Even after being in traction for three months and being seen to be clinically seriously underweight, I STILL weighed more than the table provided for. Whoever compiled that table should be investigated.

And the second is the current extreme pressure by the medical profession to put diabetics on insulin, regardless of the consequences. I knew it was the case in Britain, now it seems it's also the case in the USA (sorry, Canada, though I imagine it's true for both countries). Can anyone tell me WHY the official line is so strongly in favour of use of insulin?

I'm afraid that many doctors still haven't lost the conviction that they are gods, the arbiters of everything to do with health. Those days passed several decades ago.

Edited by peterbj7, 12 December 2011 - 07:36 PM.

#9 Jo Canuck

Jo Canuck

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:120

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

Oops, Peter....I think I got side tracked.

The main point I wanted to make was to keep it simple and do the things we know work. Not to beat yourself up over something you can't change.

I appreciate all your points, and they are so true. Insulin has huge lifestyle implications, risks and drawbacks with driving permits, occupations etc.

A wise person once told me that when instructions and guidelines and recommendations keep changing, it's because no one really knows the right answer. A few years ago we had a whole bunch of new oral diabetic medications, we put everyone on them.... only to have them come under huge review because they were causing or worsening congestive heart failure. Then we put everyone on the new (expensive) insulins because they were supposed to have less risk. In studies maybe, but who could afford them? We went back to metformin and old insulins because all along they were the most cost effective with least risk.

Keep good tight diabetic control when your young. Not so tight when your getting older because the risks of hypogycemia and falls increases mortality

Do rescue breathing with CPR....dont bother with rescue breathing with CPR just effective compressions... there isn't much difference in survival

Do self breast exams...don't bother with breast self exams, do mammograms every year, do mammograms only over 50 and then only every two years.

Do prostate screening bloodwork...don't bother, most men outlive thier prostate cancer and die of old age.

do ultrasounds for ovarian cancer....don't bother...some ovarian cancers go from non existant to metastatic within 6 months......

WOW!!! who wouldn't get confused?

So at the end of the day, my suggestion is do the best you can, control what you can, don't keep yourself awake at night for what you can't control,

And GO DIVING WHILE YOU CAN.:diver:

Peter...I want to meet you some day. It would be an honour. Add Belize to my diving list.

Johanne

#10 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

5. LIVE A NORMAL LIFE, think in terms of being the healthiest and most normal person with a chronic illness as you can be. Do not let the chronic illness define who you are. There is no greater power than that of good attitude.

I SO believe in this statement!!! I have been type 1 diabetic since I was 6 years old. Does it suck?? You betcha - has it stopped me from living my life - nope. I can still dive - I wear an insulin pump (not while diving) and prick my finger at least 15 times a day on a dive trip to check my blood sugar level - if it's too low - there's always another diver - Has it stopped me from diving in certain places? yes - Australia. (insert BIG sigh) I am in touch with a SPUMS doctor that I follow up with on what he hears about diabetics diving in Aussie land - but so far it's a NO.

I live life as a normal person - and full force most of the time! Johanne - I prefer "co-morbid" disease. Posted Image that was the description on a dive release on our last live a board. I use it often now! Posted Image
Known puker

#11 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

Peter...I want to meet you some day. It would be an honour. Add Belize to my diving list.
Johanne

I don't know about the "honoured" bit (!) but I also would like to meet you, and to show you some of the diving and other things Belize has to offer.

#12 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

Sandy,

Just out of curiosity, why not Australia?

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#13 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

Sandy,

Just out of curiosity, why not Australia?

Jim

Australia has regulations in place that bar insulin-dependent diabetics from diving. (Australian Standard 4005)

Details HERE.

#14 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:28 PM

Sandy - have you ever had a problem underwater, either a hypo or a hyper? Or any other issue that necessitated a prompt return to the surface? I have unknowingly dived with insulin-dependent diabetics and did not see anything that made me concerned. Presumably the risk would be of a hypo rather than the reverse - can you carry fast-acting glucose underwater? And perhaps more to the point, and probably rather a silly question to someone who has been Type I all her life, do you always get adequate warning before a hypo to enable you to take action to forestall it?

#15 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:39 PM

Reading that article about diving in Australia, it isn't much different from many other countries. I doesn't say that insulin dependency automatically bars you from diving, but rather that that is the normal consequence. It also incorrectly states that Type II diabetics are always treated by diet and oral medication. Not so - I have met many Type II diabetics who are insulin dependent. I don't mean they chose to use insulin, but that their condition cannot be managed any other way. Yet they are Type II, not Type I. I have though never heard of a Type I who is NOT insulin dependent.

I'd be interested to know the Australian medical requirements of recreational dive professionals. In Britain the rules are onerous, though following a relaxation on diabetes I am now permitted to teach there - I wasn't for several years because they thought that any diabetic can suffer a hypo, which is of course not so (well, not more than any non-diabetic).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users