• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Africa

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

I have been looking into diving in Mozambique. It looks amazing. Any thoughts?
Sea Turtle advocate!

• Guests

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:50 PM

A continent full of civil war and nasty tropical illnesses. Yeah... sounds like my kind of vacation!!! Posted Image
Count me in if I'm allowed to go. Uncle Sam may say otherwise though. Probably ok with more paperwork before and after.

#3 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

I have been looking into diving in Mozambique. It looks amazing. Any thoughts?

Here's the latest from the State Department:

THREATS TO SAFETY AND SECURITY:

Overland travel after dark is extremely dangerous due to poor road conditions, lack of emergency services, and the increased potential for vehicle hijacking.

Visitors should be particularly vigilant when driving on the main thoroughfares connecting Mozambique and South Africa as incidents of vehicle theft, including assault and robbery, have been reported.

U.S. government personnel who work at the U.S. Embassy in Mozambique are prohibited from overland travel outside Maputo city limits after dark, and are encouraged to travel in convoys of two or more vehicles when outside of the city during daylight hours. They are prohibited from using “chapas” (local minibuses) due to frequent accidents involving these vehicles.

Due to residual landmines, overland travelers are advised to remain on well-traveled roads or seek local information before going off-road outside of Maputo and other provincial capitals.

Pedestrians and drivers alike make few distinctions between roads and sidewalks (where they exist), and serious or fatal vehicle/pedestrian accidents are common, especially at night.

#4 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

A continent full of civil war and nasty tropical illnesses. Yeah... sounds like my kind of vacation!!! Posted Image
Count me in if I'm allowed to go. Uncle Sam may say otherwise though. Probably ok with more paperwork before and after.

Make sure your vaccinations are all up-to-date, particularly Yellow Fever if you should go.

#5 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

I was thinking more about going diving than I was driving around on their roads.. :-)
Sea Turtle advocate!

#6 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

I was thinking more about going diving than I was driving around on their roads.. :-)

How do you get to the dive sites?

More specifically, how do you get to the boats/docks for the dive sites?

South Africa would be a better choice IMO. They have shark dives there.

• Guests

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

How do you get to the dive sites?

More specifically, how do you get to the boats/docks for the dive sites?

South Africa would be a better choice IMO. They have shark dives there.

There appear to be quite a few liveaboards in the Mozambique/Tanzania area. Whether they are valid businesses or just internet fronts is unknown to me. Unfortuntately, this looks a little close to Somalia.

#8 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

I recently ran across an article about conservation volunter vacations to Madagascar. Try, Blue Ventures, their website isn't the easiest to navigate. The one downside is, they want you to spend 6 weeks with them. I would consider doing this, if I could find the 6 weeks [this summer], but don't know if they want an old fart like me.

I've also done some preliminary work on Mozambique. Dive resorts are few and far between, and it seemed best booked through S. Africa travel agents.

Bill

Edited by ScubaTex, 27 December 2011 - 11:55 AM.

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#9 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

I dug through my 'bucket list' notebook and came up the following resorts in Mozambique. Some of these are 'self catered' which means meals are not included, but you can hire a native to clean, shop, and cook your meals. At the time I made this list, the exchange rates were $1=7.32 SAR, & $1=35.05 Metical

Guinjata Resort

Pemba Beach Hotel & Spa

Dive Morrungulo

Barra Resorts

Jeff's Palm Resort

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#10 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:31 PM

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the links. I for one find the idea of a location being difficult to get to. A bit of a challenge etc. part of the draw. I don't like going to the tourist traps. Cayman's as an example. Been there done that. Won't do it again. I am going to Indonesia in the spring. If you read the CDC and travel warnings they tell you scary stuff about Americans visiting Indonesia. If I listened to all of the scary stuff I would never go any where. Trust me, anyone that has never been to the projects in St. Louis Missouri should not be afraid of most of these "3rd world" countries until they have traveled the United States.

J
Sea Turtle advocate!

#11 Muktuk

Muktuk

Getting started

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox,GUE fundies, GUE Rec 2
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

I'd be up for diving in Mozambique. I like adventurous destinations. In addition, not many opportunities to speak Portuguese up here in Anchorage...(one of my less practical pursuits in college)
I'm off to Tanzania this sat for some trekking. I'll try to gather some intel on East African diving.

• Guests

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the links. I for one find the idea of a location being difficult to get to. A bit of a challenge etc. part of the draw. I don't like going to the tourist traps. Cayman's as an example. Been there done that. Won't do it again. I am going to Indonesia in the spring. If you read the CDC and travel warnings they tell you scary stuff about Americans visiting Indonesia. If I listened to all of the scary stuff I would never go any where. Trust me, anyone that has never been to the projects in St. Louis Missouri should not be afraid of most of these "3rd world" countries until they have traveled the United States.

J

As usual, I agree with you on all counts. This is probably why I have no intention of ever going to hawaii. Plus if people don't go there then the diving will probably be better.

#13 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:34 AM

Hey Bill,

J

Wish I could go to Indo w/you. Planning on doing an add-on to the 2013 Maldives-Lembeh trip, probably will be Sipidan. I tend to not to be too concerned about travel warnings. @!&% happens, even in our own country. Of course, I don't have any plans to dive Somalia, Iran, or N. Korea!!! Never been thru the projects in St. Louis, but I had a grand mother who lived in E. St. Louis.

Let me know if you decide to make the trip to Mozambique, I'd be intersted in joining you.

Bill

• Guests

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hey Bill,

J

Wish I could go to Indo w/you. Planning on doing an add-on to the 2013 Maldives-Lembeh trip, probably will be Sipidan. I tend to not to be too concerned about travel warnings. @!&% happens, even in our own country. Of course, I don't have any plans to dive Somalia, Iran, or N. Korea!!! Never been thru the projects in St. Louis, but I had a grand mother who lived in E. St. Louis.

Let me know if you decide to make the trip to Mozambique, I'd be intersted in joining you.

Bill

I base it on how much trouble the company gives me for going there. There is a sliding scale from "no need to ask" to "check in everyday" IF you don't get "NO WAY in HELL!!!" We use private security and they monitor world conditions themselves. They might start with state department recommendations but they make their own decisions. Mozambique is iffy for me because of this but I may be changing employers this year.

#15 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:36 AM

Forget everything I mantioned, gang. I found the perfect dive boat for your adventure.

Attached File  Mozambique Dive Boat.jpg   144.62KB   38 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users