• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Nitrox Questions

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 H20 Bug

H20 Bug

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveControlSpecial Cert
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:41 AM

Thinking about doing the Nitrox certification, but I can't seem to get a good explanation of why I should. The common answer I keep getting is it increases your bottom time and you don't feel as wiped out after multiple dives.

My questions:

- is the increased bottom time cause you're breathing is more efficient with Nitrox, or cause the "tables" allow for longer bottom time?
- since you need certification for Nitrox, what if your buddy isn't Nitrox certified? do you not dive the Nitrox?
- what are the "consequences" of sharing Nitrox with someone that wasn't using Nitrox - does that end their diving for the day or a period of time? (I know, if they ran out of air, they're lucky to have a source, but still good info to have)
- Is there a notable difference?
- anything else I should consider?

Thanks.
Any time spent in, on, around or underwater adds days to your life.

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:54 AM

The common answer I keep getting is it increases your bottom time and you don't feel as wiped out after multiple dives

It also allows you to decrease your surface interval. The less fatigue symptom is likely a placebo effect.

-

is the increased bottom time cause you're breathing is more efficient with Nitrox, or cause the "tables" allow for longer bottom time?

Tables. It's like breathing air at a shallower depth with regard to tables. Your air (gas) consumption won't change as a result.

- since you need certification for Nitrox, what if your buddy isn't Nitrox certified? do you not dive the Nitrox?

Your choice. You will be further from your NDL and therefore less likely to be bent if you use air NDLs with nitrox.

- what are the "consequences" of sharing Nitrox with someone that wasn't using Nitrox - does that end their diving for the day or a period of time? (I know, if they ran out of air, they're lucky to have a source, but still good info to have)

Unless you're too deep for the mix, there are no known adverse consequences.

There's a dramatic difference in NDLs and surface intervals from about 50 - 100 feet.

Nitrox limits your maximum depth. Nitrox, AKA "geezer gas," if you use air tables/computer settings, you lessen the likelyhood of DCS.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 sugarbad

sugarbad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:55 AM

Here are a couple of answers to your questions.......I hope this helps

1) Increased bottom time is due to a lower concentration of Nitrogen in your gas mix....Because there is less nitrogen (due to the increase concentration of Oxygen) you do not build up as much nitrogen in the tissues so your bottom time is extended.

2) My wife is not Nitrox certified but when I dive with her I still breath Nitrox...This is because even though I cannot extend my bottom time (because my buddy is still breathing compressed air and subject to the tables for air) I still compound less nitrogen build-up. This is better for the body and over a period of several days of diving I feel better than she does.

3) In the even of an OOA emerg. share the air you have.....Since the gas you are sharing is lower in nitrogen than the air they were breathing they will build-up less....It does not end their day, and in fact is safer than what they were breathing in the first place.

4) One of the main safety factors associated with Nitrox is that the %Nitrox you breath is dependant on the depth to which you are diving....Because the % of Oxygen in the mix is higher the depth you can safely dive to is less...This is due to the partial pressure of Oxygen at a certain depth. To exceed a PPO2 of 1.6 is dangerous and can be fatal. Most operators that provide Nitrox provide the %nitrox that is best suited for the depth that the group will be diving. This past weekend the Nitrox was 30%....This was safe to the depths that we were diving (130fsw and less)

Hope this helps......

#4 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:57 AM

- is the increased bottom time cause you're breathing is more efficient with Nitrox, or cause the "tables" allow for longer bottom time?

Since you are breathing in less N2, you load less N2, and have more time at depth.

You dive the Nx, and load up less than the bud. When s/he hits NDL, you'll be a long ways from your's. In this case, you get penalized on bottom time, but less loaded, nonetheless.

There's no problem at all. The buddy gets a little nicer mix, but the difference is neglible.

YOu feel less exhausted after diving. I think that's more placebo than fact, but with less N2 loading, you will have more O2 flowing thru your veins, so there must be something to it.

You will be taught about MOD - Maximum Operating Depths, the possible riks of Nx diving. You'll also be cautioned about taking Sudafed (PSE) before diving.

All in all, a wonderful idea, I think! :hiya:
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#5 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:34 AM

I got to agree with Walter in that it shortens your surface intervals. This of course is assuming your buddy is also using nitrox. I mainly use nitrox when doing multiple dives over multiple days. If just doing a couple of dives I don't think it would gain you that much.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,489 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:40 AM

I mainly use nitrox when doing multiple dives over multiple days. If just doing a couple of dives I don't think it would gain you that much.

That depends on your reason for using Nitrox. In resort destinations doing long repetitive dives of moderate depth the nitrox can be beneficial for safely extending the dive times.

When diving in depths of 80-120 ft then bottom time is usually doubled thus making the difference between a wonderful dive and a quickie! Depending on how much effort you went thru to get there...quickie dives are not the way to go.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:57 AM

"You'll also be cautioned about taking Sudafed (PSE) before diving."

I wasn't and sometimes use it, what's that about?
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#8 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:15 PM

Here's a link to a DAN article that discusses it:

Sudafed & Nitrox
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#9 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:50 PM

I read an article which argued that the fatigue issue is not a placebo. A found the article convincing at the time, but I do not remember the source, so take this with a grain of salt.

The basic point of the article was that it is the excess Nitrogen which causes us to feel fatigued. The excess nitrogen bounces around in our blood, and does damage. The description sounded similar to what free radicals do. (I hate anything medical, so I must apologize for my vagueness) Less excess nitrogen, equals less fatigued. It also mentioned one study of long-time divers, and they had more memory problems than average for their age group. I do not quite know if I buy that part.

p.s. the sudafed article was interesting

#10 sugarbad

sugarbad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:58 PM

Sudafed & Nitrox

One of the issues that they have with Sudafed and Nitrox is that Pseudoephedrine is not a too distant checmical cousin to it's natural counterpart Ephedra.

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 06 October 2004 - 01:11 PM

I read an article which argued that the fatigue issue is not a placebo. A found the article convincing at the time, but I do not remember the source, so take this with a grain of salt.

As far as I know, there's been exactly one double blind study on this. It is far from conclusive, but that study found no difference in fatigue.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 H20 Bug

H20 Bug

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveControlSpecial Cert
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 06 October 2004 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for all the input, I will probably take the class and give Nitrox a try. The Sudafed link was great.

:wakawaka:
Any time spent in, on, around or underwater adds days to your life.

#13 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 07 October 2004 - 06:18 PM

Sudafed & Nitrox

One of the issues that they have with Sudafed and Nitrox is that Pseudoephedrine is not a too distant checmical cousin to it's natural counterpart Ephedra.

Also chemically similar to Speed. The recovering drug addicts I used to volunteer with told me that they'd take PSE ("Reds") when they couldn't get what they wanted. Also used in the manufacture of some unlawful drug, so you don't want to cross an international border with more than a personal supply.

I use PSE with antihistamine on every day for allergies, but when diving Nx, I don't the day of the dive until after diving, or when stung by a jellyfish - whichever happens sooner. :wakawaka:

Edited by DandyDon, 07 October 2004 - 06:20 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#14 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 07 October 2004 - 06:41 PM

When taking the course they tell you they can't say it will make you feel less tired, but I truly do believe that it does. I can make all the dives on a live-aboard (four or five a day) and still feel good. I have been very tired in the past just doing 2-3 dives a day for a week.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#15 Talos

Talos

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced open
  • Logged Dives:25 - 50

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:42 PM

i took my ow back in 95 never got a chance to dive and just recently took a refresher course and was wondering whether i should wait to take a nitrox course since i did not get when i took my ow and if not would it be possible to get it while on the athens trip on at halloween :wavey:
as a matter of fact I am out of my mind. It is dark and scary in there.

perfect llil angle not my fault my halo is supported by horns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users