• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Cruise ship aground

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

I thought I would alert members here in case you had not heard of this latest accident. I have to scratch my head wondering what or why the captain was so close to shore ??
Here's the link: http://news.yahoo.co...-134340580.html
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#2 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

Different link w/ video

http://www.msnbc.msn...6523/ns/travel/
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#3 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

From what I read, the ship was in process of leaving port when there was a total electrical failure - primary and backup - so the captain lost all control of the ship and it proceeded under power into the shore. One has to wonder how a ship so poorly designed can ever get a licence to operate. It is also noteworthy that like so many idiots/people these days, they seem to think the time to explain emergency procedures is after an emergency has occurred - there had been no attempt before the ship left port to explain anything to either passengers or new crew members (that is from a surviving new crew member). And of course there's the Italian dimension of semi-organised chaos which is how most things happen in that country. I'm afraid this was an accident waiting to happen.

I am also very surprised that in a low speed impact, albeit under power, most of one side of the ship was ripped open. Are there no adequate standards for the robustness of ship construction?

As I write, three bodies have been discovered and 69 are unaccounted for. Since it is known that many people gave up on waiting for lifeboats and simply jumped into the sea and swam to shore (it was daylight, relatively warm water, and the shore was very close) it is to be hoped that most of those 69 will be found on land somewhere. Undoubtedly some people will have drowned in the lower cabins though, given the nature and speed of the disaster.

A further point. Because the ship listed dramatically very early on it was found almost impossible to launch lifeboats on the "up" side of the boat, and those on the "down" side were sunk and crushed whilst still attached to their davits. We are still using the same crude and unsatisfactory methods for attaching lifeboats that were introduced hundreds of years ago. Isn't it about time self-launching and unsinkable lifeboats were introduced, so that those boats on the "down" side would have been floating tethered to the ship and awaiting passengers to board?

I'm sorry, so much about this "accident" makes me angry, because so much about it was utterly predictable.

#4 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

Peter,I'd have to agree with you on the point of the "Life" boats.Why couldn't a remote type of system be devised where they could be released & drop to the water? When knowledge of such a disater struck they could be released by the Captain or???
Greg

#5 sharkCrazy

sharkCrazy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:open water
  • Logged Dives:15

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

We have friends who were on the boat and now stuck in Italy. The cruise is in shock and is struggling to handle the 4000 stained passengers. they all seem to be making the best of the situation though in Genoa.

Edited by sharkCrazy, 14 January 2012 - 03:26 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

I think the Embassies will be busy, trying to get passports or travel documents to 4,000 people in short order....not to mention replacement credit cards, or travelers checks, or return plane tickets....the list goes on!
Posted Image

#7 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

Check out the latest news link with photo of HUGE boulder in hull crack.

http://overheadbin.m...-italy-detained
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#8 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

Check out the latest news link with photo of HUGE boulder in hull crack.

http://overheadbin.m...-italy-detained

Looks like they already have divers entering the wreck, thinking there may be a Poseidon Adventure possibility. Chances are that they may only find bodies, though. Learn about it HERE.

Hokey smoke---Look at the size of that gash in the hull!

Edited by PlatypusMan, 14 January 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#9 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

Holy crap! Something is just not right. The captain has a few questions to answer.
Posted Image

#10 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

The operator is a subsidiary of Carnival Cruise Line.

#11 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

The operator is a subsidiary of Carnival Cruise Line.

Yes, Costa is an italian line under Carnival Cruise line, just as Cunard and Princess cruise lines are as well.

Apparently the Captain has been arrested and will be charged with manslaughter.

The ship was launched in 2006 so its pretty much up to date with the latest sonar/gps systems, and they all use electric motors with 3-4 diesel generators. So for the boat to continue to move, they had at least some power.

For smokers, Costa was one of the last cruise lines that pretty much allowed smoking everywhere.

#12 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

Holy crap! Something is just not right. The captain has a few questions to answer.

If some of the passengers interviewed can be believed as eyewitnesses to the Captain's actions, he is in serious criminal and liability trouble that will land him in prison under Italian law if convicted. Among other things alleged by eyewitnesses, he left his ship while people were still aboard, and he had to have known it.

The cruise line (or at least the insurance company they use) is also going to be on the hook after the various suits start coming in from the families of the dead, though that may takes years to resolve. Everyone claims that no lifeboat drills had been performed, so sorting that liability mess out for the insurers is going to be a nightmare, I'm sure.

Please note that I am basing all this on BBC and other reports that have come in. As more information comes to light, I reserve the right to be wrong.

#13 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

If this is how Carnival run their Italian operation, I wonder about all their others. I hope and believe this will severely hit confidence in these ships.

#14 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

latest video news

http://overheadbin.m...-captain-likely
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#15 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

If this is how Carnival run their Italian operation, I wonder about all their others. I hope and believe this will severely hit confidence in these ships.

:respect:
Peter , I think its only FAIR to say ,you can't judge the group by 1. I have been on 3 Carnival ships.On all ships, before we left port we (passengers) were shown where our safety stations were & life jackets.

My next question is How or if the ship will be set upright & the fuel leaks controlled...
Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users