• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Cruise ship aground

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:04 PM

My next question is How or if the ship will be set upright & the fuel leaks controlled...

From news accounts I've seen, there is a salvage firm en-route that is set up to handle fuel recovery, apparently no leakage has been noted from the ship which is amazing in my opinion.

#17 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

When a ship of massive tonnage meets rock at any speed, no construction technique in the world would be sufficient to stop damage.

I see the company is blaming the Captain already, but also say they will back him up with "legal assistance" which is intriguing in and of itself. I suspect there is more here than meets the eye and in time the whole story will come out. Probably as an ABC Movie of the Week.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#18 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

Number of confirmed deaths has now risen to (I think) 6 and there are still 15 people missing. I hope those 15 are on shore somewhere, though after this time that seems unlikely, as the ship is in process of sliding off into deeper water that will completely submerge it (just - it's 100 feet deep). Once that happens all bets are off on getting the fuel oil out of what must be nearly full tanks.

The Italian government is reported as fearing a major ecological disaster.

This is going to be incredibly costly for Carnival. I hope they have good insurance. The hull alone is said to be worth c.US$130m. But at least there will be a superb wreck to dive at AOW depths. It's a little uncomfortable knowing there will almost certainly be bodies still inside, but that's true of many wrecks currently dived. The most blatant is the wreck of a Muslim pilgrimage boat returning from Mecca to Hurghada in Egypt, which struck a reef and went down with c.1200 people who are still on it. Doesn't stop people diving it. Can't remember its name.

#19 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

Can't remember its name.

In 2006 the Al Salam Boccaccio 98 ferry burned and sank - 1414 souls on board. Over 100 dead.

In 1991 a ferry called the Salem Express sank in rough weather. 649 on board - 471 died.

Both in the Red Sea.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#20 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

Looks like the actuaries are already hard at work tallying potential cost to this disaster.

BBC story HERE.

#21 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

Looks like the actuaries are already hard at work tallying potential cost to this disaster.

BBC story HERE.

From what I am reading, they plan on having the boat out of service for a year. So I am guessing some type of salvage operation will be taking place shortly. How you patch such a tear and get the boat upright will be quite the feat so it can be pumped out and towed to a drydock in Europe.

#22 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

From Reuters:

Cave divers are in use.

#23 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

From what I am reading, they plan on having the boat out of service for a year

From what I am reading the vessel is on the point of slipping into deeper water. I can't see it being saved if that happens. Salvaged probably, but that usually means cutting it up in situ.

#24 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

In 1991 a ferry called the Salem Express sank in rough weather. 649 on board - 471 died

Thank you - that's the one, though I remember significantly different numbers. And in fact I don't think it was rough weather at the time. The captain was speeding at night and took a shortcut that proved fatal. The ship lodged on top of the reef and people got on with dinner in the belief they would be rescued in the morning and probably wouldn't even get their feet wet. Sadly they were wrong, and the ship slid off into moderately deep water. Most passengers didn't know how to swim - I don't know if it's an Egyptian thing or a Muslim one, but I've rarely come across Egyptians who can swim - and they went down with it. They had had hours to get clear but hadn't bothered.

I've dived it several times from liveaboards (it's a long way out for a day boat), and we always had an unwritten rule on board of "look but don't take anything". Most local dive crews have family members still in the ship, and I've never seen an Egyptian in the water there. They will take tourists as that's how they earn a living, but they will not dive themselves. On one liveaboard I was on someone brought up a child's toy he found lying on the bottom by the wreck, but other divers made him drop it, hopefully before the crew saw it.

As I said, I don't think the weather was bad when the Salem Express went down. I have though been in boats/ships on the Red Sea when storms have blown up, and the speed with which that happens and the severity of the storm is incredible. One liveaboard I was on, the "Tiger Lily", had both an air compressor and a nitrox compressor bolted to the deck in the wet area, and the ship was all steel. The storm was so bad one of these compressors tore up the section of deck it was fixed to and disappeared over the side, and the other was severely damaged. We limped back to port with engine room damage as well. If a ship breaks up there in a storm it is completely unsurvivable. I have been in storms on other seas/oceans, and nothing comes close to Red Sea ferocity.

#25 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

BBC story HERE.

A $30m insurance excess!

#26 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

Latest video news link. Seems Cpt moved closer for crew to wave to family ashore.

http://overheadbin.m...e-ship-disaster
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#27 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

Yeah, I read that the Captain was attempting a drive by for the Chief Waiter, who's family is from the island who's reef they hit.

On the damages side, they are expecting a loss of $90 million just in lost fares for 2012 as the boat is repaired. That doesn't include the cost to salvage & repair the ship, plus the estimated liability of over $510 million from lawsuits.

#28 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

A couple of photos from inside the ship during a diver search.

See them HERE.

#29 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:18 AM

Article from a Bermuda based paper. All of the major reinsurance companies are based in Bermuda so they should have the best handle on costs.

Article here...

Given the angle of the ship a recovery seems unlikely. However, mankind never ceases to surprise me so you never know.

#30 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:46 AM

Look like the Travel Defense annoucements are starting.Just received this letter from the CEO of Vac. to go Alan Fox .

I didn't copy the whole letter where he details all of the event's thus far.

I hope the weather can hold & let them move forward with their efforts of passenger & fuel removal.

There will be stories of heroism, including that of the ship's chief purser, Manrico Gianpetroni, who reportedly aided the escape of dozens of people before breaking his leg in a fall. He was found and rescued from deep inside the vessel nearly 36 hours after the ordeal began.Cruise lines carried more than 15 million passengers in 2011. The industry is highly regulated and passenger safety is the number one concern of all cruise lines. Hopefully, as the cause of this tragedy becomes clear, new systems and procedures can be put into place to prevent an accident of this kind from ever happening again.New systems & procedures can be put in place.
Our hearts and prayers go out to the dead and missing and injured, and to their families.

Edited by Greg@ihpil, 17 January 2012 - 08:56 AM.

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users