• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hot Shower's

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#46 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 17 October 2004 - 10:47 AM

SquattingRadishDM

Or take Chinacats advise and wait as long as possible before taking a shower, although your probably gonna increase ur risk of remaining a SingleDiver 

:birthday:

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#47 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:17 PM

How about a sponge bath instead....? :wavey:

Will pass along the hot shower incidents to our local divers and remind them to avoid the hot water temptation as we are heading into our cold water months, er I mean COLDER water months... :welcome:

btw, excellent info posts SquattingRadishDM, thanks.

Edited by Dive_Girl, 19 October 2004 - 12:18 PM.

It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#48 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:48 PM

I don't think anyone told Charity why DCS is called "the bends". The name comes from the early days when people only dived to do a job and DCS was barely known about and not understood (not that it is fully understood even now). The agony was extreme, and the victim contorted (bent) into the fetal position in an attempt to cope with it. Charity - are you a diver, or just following the board? Nothing at all wrong with that, but if you are a certified diver you should have covered DCS in your basic training, and you should have some understanding of it to dive safely. If you missed it you'd best get a book on it and read up.

As to showers, we installed hot showers at our dive center but recommend that anyone who has just dived keeps the water tepid. A very hot shower just after a dive approaching the no-deco limits is quite likely to give a skin bend, especially if the reason it's very hot is that the diver is feeling cold.

Actually Charity, I've just checked your profile and see you're an Open Water diver. Is this subject of DCS and its symptoms really new to you, because if so I'd like to know who taught you?

Edited by peterbj7, 19 October 2004 - 12:51 PM.

#49 randy54

randy54

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:17 PM

Hot showers or bathing has got to be a very random cause. Here out of SoCal most boats have showers, and many, encluding the one I dive, even have hot tubs. With all this hot water, if it was a major factor, you'd excpet to see a high number of bent divers, with all the diving done. Yet it is very rare to hear of any. And the few that do happen most always have other conditions that set the stage.
You may not be able to smell the roses underwater, but you can sea horses.

#50 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:17 PM

I don't think anyone told Charity why DCS is called "the bends".  The name comes from the early days when people only dived to do a job and DCS was barely known about and not understood (not that it is fully understood even now).  The agony was extreme, and the victim contorted (bent) into the fetal position in an attempt to cope with it.

Actually Charity, I've just checked your profile and see you're an Open Water diver.  Is this subject of DCS and its symptoms really new to you, because if so I'd like to know who taught you?

Hey, I tried... :taz:

The only stupid question is the one not asked! The term "Bent" is the diving slang term for "DCS" or Decompression Sickness. Why its called getting 'bent' I'm not sure but I'm sure our diving guru's can answer that one for ALL of us!

I always thought it came from finding miners and bridge builders "bent" over in pain after coming from a pressurize lock without a slow decom?

Originally called Caison's Disease, I believe

I'll bet that Chairty was warned about DCS, but may not have remembered the other name of "Bends." It's difficult to remember all that sutff cramed into a quick, streamlined course. This is why these chats help between training. :dance:
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#51 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 19 October 2004 - 05:10 PM

How about a sponge bath instead....? :lmao:

Line forms here!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#52 dive_addict

dive_addict

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI, Trimix
  • Logged Dives:2.7

Posted 19 October 2004 - 06:30 PM

The only stupid question is the one not asked! The term "Bent" is the diving slang term for "DCS" or Decompression Sickness. Why its called getting 'bent' I'm not sure but I'm sure our diving guru's can answer that one for ALL of us!

I always thought it came from finding miners and bridge builders "bent" over in pain after coming from a pressurize lock without a slow decom?

Originally called Caison's Disease, I believe

When building the Brooklyn Bridge a huge number of workers, called sand hogs, died from what they called caissons disease. The footings for the bridge had to be built on bedrock. But the bottom of the river was mud. So to solve this problem they created a box with no bottom, called a caisson. They pressurized it with compressed air to keep the water out, this allowed workers to hand dig the mud from the bottom of the river until they hit bedrock. The caisson would sink as the workers removed the mud. At the end of shift, workers would take an elevator to the surface! Needless to say, countless people died. There isn't an exact number of the deaths because many workers went home and died. Because they died at home or in the alleys nobody made the connection to work.

I believe the term "bent" comes from the fact that people would double over from the pain in their joints.
Life's a beach, then you dive!

#53 Charity6262

Charity6262

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:9

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:33 PM

I don't think anyone told Charity why DCS is called "the bends". The name comes from the early days when people only dived to do a job and DCS was barely known about and not understood (not that it is fully understood even now). The agony was extreme, and the victim contorted (bent) into the fetal position in an attempt to cope with it. Charity - are you a diver, or just following the board? Nothing at all wrong with that, but if you are a certified diver you should have covered DCS in your basic training, and you should have some understanding of it to dive safely. If you missed it you'd best get a book on it and read up.

Actually Charity, I've just checked your profile and see you're an Open Water diver. Is this subject of DCS and its symptoms really new to you, because if so I'd like to know who taught you?

I had just never heard it called that. I have always heard it called DCS so I didn't make the connection. I also didn't know why it was called "bent" ... like the reasoning behind it, but as you can see i am very new to this and I need all the help I can get on explaining stuff.

#54 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 20 October 2004 - 08:23 AM

... as you can see i am very new to this and I need all the help I can get on explaining stuff.

Charity,

Feel free to ask any questions you want on this board. There' are a lot of great people here and wealth of knowledge available for the asking. Everyone here is happy to help any way we can.

:lmao: Keep on diving.... :diver:
Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#55 SquattingRadishDM

SquattingRadishDM

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Divemaster, Dry Suit....eventually the IDC...then Paradise
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:09 AM

had just never heard it called that. I have always heard it called DCS so I didn't make the connection. I also didn't know why it was called "bent" ... like the reasoning behind it, but as you can see i am very new to this and I need all the help I can get on explaining stuff.

Dont worry about it, Im sure there are other ppl reading this thread who didn't know what "The Bends" was and are glad you asked the question. Diving, like other technology driven persuits tends to have alot of jargon and slang. Feel free to ask for explanations about anything that doesnt make sense or ur not sure what it means. After a few days you'll be using all the slang! :diver:
The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there. But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence. There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

#56 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 20 October 2004 - 10:40 AM

They are 100% correct. Always feel free to ask. Bends is a slang term. You are familiar with the concept, that's important.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#57 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:51 PM

Feel free to ask any questions you want on this board. There' are a lot of great people here and wealth of knowledge available for the asking. Everyone here is happy to help any way we can.

True ... plus unlike other places you might visit, we don't tolerate people being nasty or supercilious to each other. So ask away!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#58 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 20 October 2004 - 02:46 PM

True ... plus unlike other places you might visit, we don't tolerate people being nasty or supercilious to each other. So ask away!

That's right, you can't be supercilious, but you CAN be super-silly! :welcome:
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#59 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:03 PM

I did wonders for WW

Just spotted this. I did wonder how she did it.

#60 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:43 PM

A friend of mine just informed me that she got Bent after she went diving. she came up slow , 3 min safety stop at 15 ft. everything was alright till she got back to her room and took a HOT Shower.

I feel stupid asking this but ... what does that mean?

The soap escaped her grasp and she Bent to pick it up... :wavey:
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users