• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

GoPro Hero2 in Eye of Mine Case Problem & Solution

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

My email to Eye of Mine: I bought a GoPro case and Hero2 from you recently and have been diving with it the last 2 weeks. I started to notice a distortion in the center of my videos, an out of focus spot. I thought it was dirt or a drop of water on the inside but discovered the distortion comes from what appears as a black spot in the center of the flat lens. At around 55 feet the spot is so tiny it is almost invisible but down at 100+ feet it is clearly visible, about the size of a cross section of a big toothpick. When holding the case at an angle so that the surface of the flat lens reflects light (and looks like a silver mirror) I can see the dark spot clearly. There is no distortion above 50 feet. I've never had the case below 135 feet and expected long life because the first case I bought lasted about 300 dives before I lost it , and camera, to the ocean.

Response from Eye of Mine: It's a new issue that has come up and only with the Hero2 at 40+ feet. The housing is compressing and pushing on the camera lens at that depth. We have a very simple fix. By putting a 1/16" (1.6mm) thick rubber washer around the lens before putting into the housing, it puts the camera lens far enough way from the flat lens to avoid this center focus issue up to 200 feet. The lens hole is 3/4" (20mm).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users