• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

New Camera? - Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Deepblue962

Deepblue962

Getting started

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:71

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

I'm probably guessing that this has been debated ad nauseum by those that have been around on these boards a long time, BUT I'm new here, so I'm gonna just bring it up again.

So, I currently already own a decent amateur digital SLR that I use top side and I love. Canon EOS Rebel xsi, 12 megapixel. I also have a point and shoot and housing that I hate because I think it must have the absolute longest shutter lag of any camera ever made. It's getting replaced one way or another.

Shutter lag on my dSLR would be no problem at all, but a housing for it runs about $1,200. Plus the risk of flooding and ruining a very good topside camera too. So I've looked at a lot of the posts about the best point and shoot and see that the Panasonic Lumix lx5 is probably the best bang for the buck at around $400. That plus a really good Nautica Aluminum housing that runs $950 puts me at around $1350. Granted lights and strobes are a separate issue and will need them either way I went, so I'm taking those out of the equation. A little more money for getting a second camera but then if it got flooded, I'm out less money, plus it will do video, something my dSLR won't. But, will I still be infuriated by the death lag and miss shots? I don't know how long it really is. I can read the statistics, but I just don't have a concept of 0.28 seconds, or whatever. It always seems like an eternity when you're trying to get a good shot. :fish: What would YOU do if you were faced with this choice? Get a housing for the dSLR or just get a whole new rig?

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

I guess it will depend on several things:

1. your budget
2. your current skill level with your DSLR's features
3. whether you want to travel with one camera or two
4. future underwater photo goals

Divers usually start with a point-and-shoot for ease of use with reasonable results, and you might get pissed if it floods, but it won't break the bank. After time, if they get frustrated with the results, they will upgrade to a DSLR. I've been using my Canon PowerShot G10 for several years now, in Auto Mode. Results have improved with time, and I'm nearly ready to change over to Manual Mode to see if it improves my pictures, or if it complicates things so it's no longer fun....

My camera, u/w housing, and lead weights to make the camera neutral cost $630 total. I could add a tray and either strobes or video lights at any time.
Posted Image

#3 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Get a GoPro Hero 2 and a Backscatter housing. Save big bucks now, and eliminate all future excess airline weight charges for continuing savings ... take dive trips instead of buying soon to be obsolete expensive equipment! Shoot video instead of stills, after all, most interesting sea life moves!!

Edited by TexasDiver, 31 March 2012 - 05:31 PM.

#4 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

How many dive trips pre year? How many dives pre year? How many more luggage pieces for DSLR? How are your dry topside photos? How many people will acutally see your photos? More questions to factor into the bottom line.

Concur 100% with Texas Divers post. Newer GoPro have moniter back.

Edited by scubaski, 31 March 2012 - 05:39 PM.

MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#5 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

I'd be interested to see a Go-Pro with a monitor back.

The latest and (by far) the greatest "compact" camera is the Canon G1X. It has a sensor virtually APS-C size. I imagine Canon make their own housing for it, and this combination would give superb results whilst at the same time being portable. A DSLR housing with strobes will pretty well use up your whole baggage alowance on a plane these days.

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

I can point you to a comprehensive Canon G1X evaluation, including photos comparing to the Canon G12, HERE
Posted Image

#7 Deepblue962

Deepblue962

Getting started

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

I've looked at the G12 Canon, but the Panasonic slightly edged it out by a point. The G1X, although I'm sure its a great camera, is nearly the size of my Rebel xSi dSLR, and costs over a $100 more! The GoPro Hero2 looks pretty spiffy to get something and get in the water with for $300, but I haven't heard a lot of people rave about it's great shutter lag performance, so that's an unknown and huge deal to me. Plus it doesn't seem to have any zoom capability, or manual controls, something I'm sure to want to fiddle with at some point. Also didn't claim to record RAW format pictures either. My first POS u/w camera was something cheap to just get by, and it's worked for a while, but I want something nice this time with the ability to grow with me as my skill improves. So, LLDN...

1. Budget, smudget, I can always make more money. :teeth:

2. I can do a little finessing with my dSLR, white balance, partial manual modes to get what I want.

3. Only want to travel with one camera. I would use for u/w and top side.

4. Really want to learn more about u/w photography and get better at it.

Scubaski - At least one, maybe two dive trips a year. 15 to 30 dives a year if I'm lucky. Of course I want to minimize the carry-on luggage, but my dive computers, regs, and camera equipment I generally try to cram in a small Storm case I have and carry it all on in piece of luggage. Top side photos are good, and I like to tinker with them in Photoshop, one reason I want RAW capability. For me, it doesn't matter how many people see them. It's a personal hobby for my own satisfaction, but of course I like to show them off to whoever will look! :cool2:

Thank you everyone for your input. Good discussion.

#8 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

:lmao: I think you have the right camera for you already....stick with your SDLR. Just get a really good quality housing, and take good care of it, and it will last you a long time!

AND, get dive equipment insurance, if you're worried about flooding and/or theft.
Posted Image

#9 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

To get good underwater shots you will have to have manual control over shutter speed and aperture --- - - - - - .

The best cure for 'focus lag' is manual focus. The second best cure is a good focus light.

Shoot in raw ! No, not naked, shoot in raw format... no more jpeg for me until after white balance and exposure compensation have been done.

"shutter lag", (usually its actually focus & other automatic feature lag), can be reduce by going through the menus and turning OFF everything not applicable under water, like focus assist, smile detection, anti-shake,

I have used the LX5 in Nauticam housing many times. I like it a lot for a 'compact' camera, except wide angle; there is really only one choice for wide angle lens and it is very expensive. This is due to the size of the LX-5 lens which is great for topside use. It does great with "normal" and macro.

Advantages of your EOS XSi:
  • It's already paid for
  • They are getting cheap on ebay so you can afford to replace it.
  • changeable lenses
  • housings are discontinued (by most manufacturers) so you can start to find used housings and save more.
  • You are familiar with it.
  • If you are interested in wide-angle, you have a wide selection of choices, and these choices of lenses and ports you will be able to bring them with you to your next Canon underwater setup.
If you want "everything" you get in a DSLR, but do not want the size, look at micro-four-thirds Olympus & Panasonic - or Sony NEX mirrorless cameras NEX5 and NEX7. You get interchangeable lenses, and a fairly good selection of housings. If you get addicted to macro, there is even now a company offering a 45 degree magnifying viewfinder for the NEX-7

I have also used Olympus E-PL3 underwater, and am very happy with it. Lenses available range from 8mm to 45mm, so great wide angle and great macro. "Shutter lag" ??? Well, if you have been using a dslr you can notice it... if you are moving from a point-n-shoot or other compact, you will say "what shutter lag ???"

Sony NEX-5 and -7 are very fast also, and great selection of lenses and ports for these also.

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

After having this same discussion on our site for weeks...I went with:

Panasonic Lumix lx5 is probably the best bang for the buck at around $400. That plus a really good Nautica Aluminum housing that runs $950 puts me at around $1350.

And I LOVE IT!!! :wub:

Its only slightly larger than my old Canon point and shoot. The pics are awesome and I haven't gotten out of Intelligent Auto mode yet. Its does great in low lights which all diving is. The nauticam housing is great...durable and will let me dive Truk without having issues.

I do not see myself upgrading anytime soon and our AWESOME FRIENDS AT REEF PHOTO will help you get the best deal as well as SUPERB SERVICE and CUSTOMER SUPPORT. They are a partner of ours and our very own Racer184 even works for them so can tell you how great they are.

I have been able to use my sola lights for awesome video and pictures and will soon get strobes but the video as well as the pics are great. The camera has not been replaced by a new model which is good and more lense options are coming available for the housing.

All in all...great news! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#11 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

I should clarify that what I said about wide angle depends on your definition of wide angle... I meant 150 to 160 degrees ! Getting 100 degrees or so with the LX5 is 'easy'.

#12 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

1333242408[/url]' post='298333']
I'd be interested to see a Go-Pro with a monitor back.

I had an opportunity to try GoPro with LCD back in Philippines (and with lights and a tray). It added nothing. I found it easier to shoot without trying to compose the shot using the realtime view, not to mention the battery lasts longer without the back.

#13 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

The topic has been fairly well covered so I will leave you with my 2 psi. A good quality camera without a decent case to protect it is only half an image system. Invest in a quality camera case / housing, learn how to lube the seals correctly and protect your investment in the long term.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

Simon you are right...I made all my learning mistakes on an inexpensive canon system...until the camera was obsoleted so long that it was no longer inexpensive. :(

I now feel confident that I will not flood a camera with my new system and the housing has extra safe guards for that very issue.

What I truly love is that I can *capture* a moment and have it turn out as if I had planned it and THAT is huge underwater. What I mean is I had to really have all factors in my favor and LOTS of time with a critter to ensure a great show with my old setup. Now I can capture the Kodak moments of diving and many turn out as good or better than my old planned shots. That is HUGE! The Lex5 is great for that as I am sure others are as well. It truly proves a great camera is HALF the equation!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#15 Deepblue962

Deepblue962

Getting started

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

:thankyou: everyone. I'm about 99% decided to go with the lx5 and nauticam housing. I would have stayed with with my SLR except for the fact that it doesn't do video. A really nice option that I want to have. That tipped the scales for me. Thanks again for all the advice. Peace out. :2cool:

:fish2::diver:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users