• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Favorite fishies/creatures?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 nextariel

nextariel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:29 PM

I love to find seahorses, love to watch the grace of eagle rays, but smile everytime I see a trunkfish. They are just so cute and can't figure out which way to go with their little fins.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#17 DryHeatDiver

DryHeatDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Cert Level:

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:06 PM

It has to be the Octopus. I have seen only a couple but have some great pics of one down in San Carlos. I also liked the big Snails with the orage and blue incandesant spotted foot.

So far, I've liked everything. Some of my best dives are with lousy vis in the Northern Channel Islands as you end up focusing on the small stuff like nudabranchs (sp?)

I'll die happy once I see a whale shark.

#18 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:14 PM

Diving in SoCal has many great things. I love the way that the sea lions play with you, I love the bold garibaldi that will peck at your mask if you get too close to its territory, the graceful bat rays, the enormous black sea bass, and I love swimming in the kelp forest. I remember the first time I saw a REALLY big shark in Micronesia and thought "ho-o-o-o-o-o-o-ly crap!". And I really liked watching Marvelicious swim in Bonaire ... for those who haven't dived with her yet it's tough to imagine someone loving the freedom that diving gives us any more than she does!

Wow. I am honored to have made your list of favorite sea creatures, Jamie.... I think :welcome:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#19 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:34 PM

Myself, it is the cliche dolphins. They really are amazing, intelligent animals. Now as for creatures that I am more likely to see on a dive, I remain a sucker for turtles but am also a huge fan of rays.

And for DryHeatDiver, I have seen a whale shark and actually have video footage of one of the whale sharks that I saw when I was in Roatan in February. Absolutely AMAZING!!! They sent a videographer on our boat in the afternoon since we had already seen one that morning. It was a good move on their part and an enduring memory for me!! :welcome:

Michelle

#20 SquattingRadishDM

SquattingRadishDM

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Divemaster, Dry Suit....eventually the IDC...then Paradise
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:17 AM

Whenever I see a turtle underwater they always seem so friendly and unafraid. This summer in Grenada I saw a smallish turtle, it hung around with us for about a minute then went up for air. I could see its sihlouette on the surface and after another minute it dived back down straight towards me, I thought my rising bubbles might scare it off but it spent the next 10 minutes drifting along beside me unafraid, casually browsing the coral reef. Awesome, it seemed like it wanted our company. I got the whole thing on video :welcome: .

However I must agree with DryHeatDiver, a Whale Shark is top of my "To See" list. They are truely amazing.

But then again everything underwater is so cool.............. right, now I REALLY wanna dive! :hiya: :welcome:
The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there. But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence. There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

#21 Wakemaker

Wakemaker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver (is that really

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

Myself, it is the cliche dolphins. They really are amazing, intelligent animals...

My "favorites" be depend'n on a few personal preferences. Aye! Most cephalopods and the largest bugs amaze me. Chondrichthyes are also on the top of my list. When I'm aboard a vessel steaming through Hawaiian waters, I love watching Stenella longirostris (hint: Delphinidae), play in the pressure wave. One day, I hope one finds me interesting enough to touch.

SDHH in Seattle this weekend? Hum? What did you say? I just need to know. Tell me it is so!

#22 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:11 PM

Having had the magical experience of playing with a whale shark at the Flower Gardens, they're definitely my favorite fish! As for sea mammals, I'm equally fascinated by dolphins and sea otters.

Edited by Victoria, 06 September 2009 - 08:12 PM.

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#23 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:22 AM

Mermaids. :teeth:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#24 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:29 PM

Earlier I saw the Indigo Hamlet mentioned. I love the colors.

But I can't seem to get enough Flamingo Tongues. I always stop to photograph them. Recently, I even caught one with its "tongue" out.

I just get a smile every time I see this pic.

Posted Image

Edited by Houston Squid, 07 September 2009 - 12:30 PM.

Signature under construction :)

#25 Wakemaker

Wakemaker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver (is that really

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:45 PM

...Flamingo Tongues. I always stop to photograph them. Recently, I even caught one with its "tongue" out...

That's a beautiful creature; Flamingo Tounge. Where did you shoot this one?
SDHH in Seattle this weekend? Hum? What did you say? I just need to know. Tell me it is so!

#26 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

Wakemaker - I'm pretty sure this was in Belize in July this year. I was on the Peter Hughes Sundancer II.

Here's a cluster of them in the Caymans. You can see the one started to get shy on me and was pulling his spotted membrane back in:

Posted Image

Someone mentioned Seahorses, this little guy was in Cayman as well. I like coming across them, but they look sad when you seem them, like they were once something else and got a bum deal at reincarnation.

Posted Image

#27 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

I love coming up on Flounders too. I remember laughing out loud in my regulator when I was stalking this guy. He sensed me and stopped.

Then calmly turn just the one eye back to look at me. I thought I was gonna fall out when I saw that.

Posted Image

Edited by Houston Squid, 07 September 2009 - 03:42 PM.

#28 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

I went digging back in my archives, this thread got me remembering some of my favorite photo memories of this year.

Here is the Indigo Hamlet. I was in Cozumel earlier this Spring and got this guy. I love them so much I have started taking a pic every time I see one, which is pretty rare in Coz.

Posted Image

#29 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:09 PM

On the opposite end of the spectrum, is anyone else a little creeped out when they come across a Spanish Lobster?

These guys always make me think a giant cockroach is running across the floor when you see them. This was another night dive in Cozumel on Paradise Reef.

Posted Image

#30 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:36 PM

Great pics Squid! One of these days I'll actually see a seahorse :teeth:

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users