• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Favorite fishies/creatures?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:23 PM

banded tulip conch

#32 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:28 PM

Hey Squid, not that I could dream of taking pictures as good as yours... but what kind of camera did you use for these? strobe? Thanks, trying to figure out what to buy when I actually have some money again! LOL!!

#33 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

but what kind of camera did you use for these? strobe?

I use a Canon G-10 and Canon U/W case. I don't use an external flash. The G-10 has an amazing on board computer, and a controllable flash (you can dial it up and down).

I shoot in RAW format and color correct in Aperture (Apple).

The camera runs about $500, but I saw they came to market with a G-11 really fast. I don't think the advances were that many from the 10 to the 11, and of course the underwater housings ($200 or so) are not the same - they are smart like that.

The batteries are so good on the Canons that I don't even own a spare, sometimes I take pics for a couple days before running low (flashing every time). Of course, I will own a spare if I ever remember to order one.

For someone who knows they don't ever want to spend more than a grand (camera, housing, big memory card, extra battery, and decent photo program) you can't go wrong with this set up.

However, for most people they can immediately improve on their pics if they would just get CLOSER to their subject. Getting closer, and learning to color correct and other digital tweaks will make you a rock star underwater photographer almost right away.
Signature under construction :)

#34 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:52 PM

For you fans of Cozumel don't you always love to come across a Splendid Toad Fish? I saw several out in the open this last trip, one during the day and one on a night dive at Paradise Reef. I just love the hand sign for them, when you see their Shaggie from Scooba Do beard the sign makes total sense.

Posted Image

#35 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:04 PM

Great pics Squid! One of these days I'll actually see a seahorse :teeth:

Butch, I remember my first Sea Horse sighting was a double shot. We were doing the Bonaire City Pier night dive and the guide led us away from the pier over to these two Sea Horses. They were so much bigger than I expected.

I'm still waiting to see my first Hammerhead.

#36 damselfish

damselfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

The Honu, the Hawaiian Sea Turtle. Peaceful, graceful and beautiful. :teeth: ~ D
Ain't love a BEACH?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users