• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

One step closer to fees for carry on's...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

08 June 2012
United Airlines faces latest "weighty" issue

One airline already has weighed in with the idea: charge more for carry-on bags by exceed posted size limits. So guess what? Other airlines are considering the same policy.

It will undoubtedly not be popular with passengers, but Alaska Airlines (the US"s 7th biggest domestic carrier in market share) is charging $25 at the gate on bags that exceed the limit.

Now, perhaps predictably, other airlines are considering the same, says The New York Times. In Europe, it"s routine to charge for oversize bags.

Oversize bags are usually defined by those exceeding the regulation size of 10 by 17 by 24 inches.

(NOTE: I have measured all my carry ons and this is quite generous. It would however affect me if I was carrying a banner bag to a tradeshow as its longer than 24 in.)

Airlines are using the excuse that the larger bags passengers are coming up create boarding messes, not to mention delays. There"s also a frequent scramble for overhead space.

Airline revenue from checked bag fees has jumped, to $3.36 billion last year from a mere $464.3 million in 2007. No end in sight, either.

By David Wilkening

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Size isn't the problem, if they ever put a scale at the gate, I'm in trouble. My carry on routinely weighs in excess of 40 lbs.

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

Totally agree on weight...but the first step is size...

However we can all still complain NOW that they are getting carried away. In fact I don't recall the last time I saw anyone with a bag bigger than the size they listed...heavier...well yes that happens all the time as they leave you no choice. :(

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#4 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

I truly hate the people who try to carry everything on....their bags take up more than their fair share of the overhead bins, which leaves no space for others who board behind them.....not to mention the people who board with an oversized carryon bag, plus a laptop bag, plus a backpack, plus a Duty Free bag or souvenir bag.....

You have to admit that there are many who do not check any bags at all who take advantage of the carryon policies.

If your carryon bag has to be turned sideways to fit, CHECK IT.
Posted Image

#5 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

I believe the standard carry-on size is 45 linear inches, not the 51 Mr Wilkening posted.

the last time I flew, the first thing I thought about while watching people carry on everything including the kitchen sink is that the airlines should have started charging for carry-on's first!

#6 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

Exactly, the carry on issue is far less on airlines like Southwest that don't charge for bags.

I am in the same boat in that the size on my carry on isn't the problem, but the weight with laptop and regs gets really heavy fast.

#7 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

I have been well with in the limit for size ,wt. yeah,I'm guilty.. I must have a "Check my carry on bag sign".The last few trips I've had especially with American,they've wanted to check it,because all the other passengers have brought their,as we've said,the kitchen sink etc with them.No room left for a Normal size bag.

I remember not too long ago, there was a thread that was discussing shipping our gear... we must be approaching that horizon as diving goes?? I know it's a risky gamble for 1,even with insurance & who receives it?

Just my .02 ....
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#8 libra89

libra89

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

Size isn't the problem, if they ever put a scale at the gate, I'm in trouble. My carry on routinely weighs in excess of 40 lbs.

I'm with you Bill....Mine too. I'm always packing that thing VERY strategically. I actually had to check my carry on with Pacific Air because they in fact weighed it when I checked in, and their weight limit is NOT generous at all.

#9 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:35 AM

It seems like united since being taken over by CO has been trying to lead the race to the bottom with sprit and ryan air. With passenger air travel numbers down (due to mainly the economy and TSA) biting the hand that keeps you a float not a wise move.

Ill be in the same boat with camera and tech gear. Although I do have Air Medical Crew & Medical Tags attached seems to stop any questions.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:53 AM

Good point Dan about the air med tags...and they certainly are not giving their frequent fliers any difficulty...yet. However I have not flown internationally with United yet. I'll do so in a couple of weeks when I head to Mexico. I've been flying USAir and they are accommodating overstuffed carry on's with little issue but I am Alliance Gold so I'm sure that is why I've not been hassled. Kamala

formerly...

#11 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:12 AM

Elites get hassled. I got hassled at MIA going through Terminal D security with my Mountainsmith Boarding pass(which is legal size) till they spotted the air med crew one and they didnt say another thing.

Im going to have a couple new embroidered ones made shortly you want me to see what the cost would be to have a extra pair or two done. Its sad I even have to do this far, its the airlines greed that caused this problem in the first place. Not yet is right but I see even that coming up on the radar soon.

Based off what i have heard about post merger United is its a Charlie Foxtrot galore with no end insight due to the "Shares" operations/ticketing system that makes saber look like masterpiece.

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

Dan you and I push the envelope...even for elites. So I'm not surprised that even some elites have been hassled. Fortunately I have not been hassled....yet....but its only a matter of time. :(

formerly...

#13 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

I almost never fly with more than one carry on. After they're through charging for that, my bet is that they'll start charging passengers by their weight. Good thing I've dropped 20 pounds the last 9 months!

#14 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:50 AM

Dan you and I push the envelope...even for elites. So I'm not surprised that even some elites have been hassled. Fortunately I have not been hassled....yet....but its only a matter of time. :(

Your being nice. Then again stuffing 10lbs in a 5 lbs sack is a art, athought on my way back from Key West found someone who made what we do look amatuer. legal zise rollaboard that had a complete dive rig (sidemount)with all the tank rigging for 4 tanks, mask, fins, wetsuit, regs, a bunch of key lime products from kermits and there divison came to 95#. Totally blew my mind

#15 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:19 AM

I am just picturing what would happen if security decided to open that bag for inspection. I imagine the decompression would take out 3 or 4 agents...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users