• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Optically Challenged Diving

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Dejah

Dejah

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:19 PM

Hi all,

I need some advice on being a bit Optically Challenged in my diving. Recently in the past few years I've found myself having to start to wear glasses for reading only and not everyday so far. Yet one problem I have noticed when diving and when I was taking my classes it's difficult sometimes for me to read the gauges up close and get an accurate reading with that problem.

I've tried getting the little plastic inserts that go into a mask for this, but wonder if they are going to stay in place or come loose which can be a big distraction. I haven't made any purchases of my BC nor Regulator yet, but I am looking for suggestions on something that would be easier for me to read.

Thanks,
Dejah

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:34 PM

You can have bifocals put in your mask. If you don't need bifocals, it's even easier.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:41 PM

I can certainly sympathize - with the problem, at least...

I get Cell Phone customers in griping that they can't read the numbers on the screen in certain light situations or some other typically American belly ache. I look them in the eye and say: "I know you're over 40; where are your glasses?" "I won't wear any!" "Well, there you are." Usually haven't had their eyes checked in 5 years.

Most people over 40 are vision challenged, it seems, some more than others, some sooner. That's about as long as the human body was designed to last, so we're lucky, I think.

My solution was to bite the bullet and buy a Sea Vision flat top bifocal mask with upper and lower lens per my recent eye exam prescription, although I'm sure there are lessor solutions. I just wanted to see the fish and my guages, both.

And I never use the words "Budget" and "Scuba" on the same page... :lol:

good luck...

Edited by DandyDon, 06 April 2004 - 01:42 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#4 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:47 PM

There's always:
Prescription dive masks.

Other than that, I'm not much help.

Diverlady

Edited by Diverlady, 06 April 2004 - 01:48 PM.

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#5 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 06 April 2004 - 02:13 PM

I haven't made any purchases of my BC nor Regulator yet, but I am looking for suggestions on something that would be easier for me to read.

Wow?! Reading back over this, I noticed that remark that I'd missed...

After seeing others struggle with rented BCs and Regs, malfucntions, misunderstandings, etc. - I certainly think a diver should own his/her own!

Got anything to mortgage...? :lol:
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#6 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 02:15 PM

Got anything to mortgage...? ;)

YIKES!!! :lol: I don't think I'd want to go to that extent...

But, thanks everyone else so far for the suggestions.

#7 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 06 April 2004 - 06:58 PM

Dejah
You know me from coz and where about the same age. I'm wearing glass's for computer work and reading and so far i havnt noticed a problem reading my gauges but I'm sure the time will come to get those special lens for my mask. i think everyone has there priorities in life and part of diving is the visual site's. soo here's a place to start www.scubatoys.com
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#8 DiveScoop

DiveScoop

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 06 April 2004 - 09:50 PM

Hi all,

I need some advice on being a bit Optically Challenged in my diving. Recently in the past few years I've found myself having to start to wear glasses for reading only and not everyday so far. Yet one problem I have noticed when diving and when I was taking my classes it's difficult sometimes for me to read the gauges up close and get an accurate reading with that problem.

I've tried getting the little plastic inserts that go into a mask for this, but wonder if they are going to stay in place or come loose which can be a big distraction. I haven't made any purchases of my BC nor Regulator yet, but I am looking for suggestions on something that would be easier for me to read.

Thanks,
Dejah

Hey there. I suggest you talk to Kamala. Ask her about the SeaVision option. They make a great prescription dive mask (use it myself).

Scoop
Dive Scoop

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:29 PM

Hey there. I suggest you talk to Kamala. Ask her about the SeaVision option. They make a great prescription dive mask (use it myself).

Scoop

Sorry...somehow I missed this thread....yes I am the SeaVisions rep for Texas and they make a wonderful mask with full or just gauge reader prescriptions in them. Many local LDS's carry them including your favorite...BlueDolphinScuba.

Others in the area include Emerald Sea Divers, DiveWest, For Divers Only, etc.

The gauge reader is excellent for someone who needs the ability to read gauges but don't need a full prescription. They are built into the lenses and they come in color correction for no extra charge including rose for color loss and yellow for maximum vision in low light or low vis diving.

Let me know if I can answer anything else for you! - Kamala aka Wreck Wench

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 07 April 2004 - 04:25 AM

Do they come without color?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 April 2004 - 07:36 AM

Do they come without color?

Yes they do...color is no additional charge. We even have a mask that has color skins you can snap on so you have all three...clear, yellow and rose.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:38 AM

Scoop

Sorry...somehow I missed this thread....yes I am the SeaVisions rep for Texas and they make a wonderful mask with full or just gauge reader prescriptions in them. Many local LDS's carry them including your favorite...BlueDolphinScuba.

Others in the area include Emerald Sea Divers, DiveWest, For Divers Only, etc.

The gauge reader is excellent for someone who needs the ability to read gauges but don't need a full prescription. They are built into the lenses and they come in color correction for no extra charge including rose for color loss and yellow for maximum vision in low light or low vis diving.

Let me know if I can answer anything else for you! - Kamala aka Wreck Wench

Thanks for the information, I will have to look into this.

#13 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 07 April 2004 - 11:24 AM

Hi all,

Thanks,
Dejah

Hi Dejah,

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing. but I have corrective lenses that are glued directly to the inside of my mask. :ph34r: I have used this mask for 18 years, and the lenses have held up just fine. In fact, the mask itself has held up great...other than having to replace a worn out mask strap, no problems.

What's really interesting is that, despite the fact that my vision prescription has changed over the years, I can still see just fine using the same prescription from so many years ago. perhaps it is the magnifying effect that water has, maybe it helps me see...

If you wear contacts, you can wear them with your mask, but you run the risk of losing them ifyou should flood your mask. :( Of course, if you have disposible lenses, that's not such a big deal.

Hope this helps
Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#14 CuriousMe

CuriousMe

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180+

Posted 11 April 2004 - 07:35 AM

Another perspective might be to buy a gauge that you can see well. When you're renting you're kind of at the mercy of what the LDS has....but when you buy your reg you could make sure you get a gauge or computer that you can read without a prescription.

Personally, I wear glasses for work.....I tend to need them for computer work or reading (I can read without them, but if I do it for to long I get a headache). I don't wear them all the time....but have noticed the world just looks a bit softer without them :teeth:

My .02

Peace,
Cathie
"Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic
But I had a good life all the way."

He Went to Paris, Jimmy Buffett

DeColores

#15 sunlover

sunlover

Getting started

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:366

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:15 PM

Dejah, I see three options for your vision "issue": 1. SeaVision presciption mask 2. Get a REALLY BIG gauge so that reading it is like reading the top row on the vision chart. 3. Don't worry about those silly gauges. Just one less distraction on your dive. See if you can find one of those old J-valves for your tank so that when you run out of air you can flip the switch on the valve and get enough air to get back to the surface. It makes each dive special. Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users