• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Optically Challenged Diving

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:26 PM

Dejah, I see three options for your vision "issue": 1. SeaVision presciption mask 2. Get a REALLY BIG gauge so that reading it is like reading the top row on the vision chart. 3. Don't worry about those silly gauges. Just one less distraction on your dive. See if you can find one of those old J-valves for your tank so that when you run out of air you can flip the switch on the valve and get enough air to get back to the surface. It makes each dive special. Tom

Hey Dr. Tom...you are just TOOOOOOOOOO funny!! However I have to agree with your option #1. In fact let me know Dejah or anyone else for that matter if you'd like to try the number one corrective lense company SeaVision and I'll let you know the closest shop to you. SeaVision is a corporate sponsor of SingleDivers.com and they are really great to work with!!! They and we should be able to fix you right up!! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:18 PM

Turning 40 is a pain, 50 rougher, but - beats the alternative!!

Everyone should get their eyes checked every 2 years, and when the Opti doc says get glasses, get them...
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#18 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:59 PM

Everyone should get their eyes checked every 2 years, and when the Opti doc says get glasses, get them...

I totally agree, however since my eyes seems to change and get worse sometimes I make it a habit to get them checked once a year.

On the seavision masks I'll have to look into that sometime.

Thanks all

#19 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 05 May 2004 - 10:18 PM

I know I'm a little late for this thread, but I'd like to put my 2 cents in as well. I work for an Optometrist, and I hear these complaints everyday. As far as the turning 40=eyes go bad. It's true...the lens (which adjusts to allow you to see far or up close) hardens with age and is unable to adjust to certain focal lengths ... i.e. reading distance. Second, it is recommended you get your peeps check every year (especially contact wearers), or at least every 2 for glasses. Just last weekend I had to send someone out to the emergency room for a detatched vitreous (the part that hold the goop in your eye). She had no idea, and it was her first eye exam in years. Had she come in sooner, we would have been able to restore part of her vision.
As far as your problem seeing the gauges, after having an eye exam so you know what power to get, I would recommend the type of inserts Laura was refering to. This would be the best way to start.
Sorry again my words came so late, but I felt the need to offer my infamous words of wisdom for the world!!!
;)
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#20 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 10:33 AM

Good Info, SH! You're not late; you helped as soon as you got the chance. Thanks for the encouragement in the right direction...

Got my bi-annual exam yesterday, and the good news was that I didn't need to update. The Doc and I chatted about it, and agree to start annual exams, probably updating next year.

Many people don't know that looking inside your eyeball as the eye-pros (that opti-word) do is the only time a medical pro can look at veins without cutting flesh. Good time to head off problems; too bad the lady with the detatched vitreous didn't come in sooner.

I am ordering my new, yellow lends Seavision mask with the current script today. Next year, I'll consider using that script to update my red lens mask. More money on masks than on my glasses, but if I wanted a cheap sport - I'd be a snorkeler.
:D

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#21 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 May 2004 - 10:40 AM

[

Depends on your perspective, now doen't it? :D
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#22 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 06 May 2004 - 10:44 AM

And I thought my changing view of the undersea world was simply a reflection of it getting softer and fuzzier (you know, like in the "warm fuzzies" sense).

Seriously, I do find that it has gotten harder and harder for me to see the fine detail when I'm checking out the encrusters on a reef. This has posed a problem since I like to video macro to show the less obvious beauty of our local kelp forests and rocky reefs. Fortunately my video camera seems to be having the same problem- it doesn't focus close like it used to. Guess it's time to change the front port.

Dr. Bill

#23 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 11:45 AM

And I thought my changing view of the undersea world was simply a reflection of it getting softer and fuzzier (you know, like in the "warm fuzzies" sense).
Dr. Bill

Are you sure that is age-related? Or is it more likely induced from some friendly beverages?
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#24 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 12:17 PM

Scubahoney, thanks for the great insight you gave on this in regards to your job and what you've seen, I will soon when I have some extra funds be checking into a seavision mask with WW, but want to get my eyes checked once again. I normally go once a year to check them since they could be changing and getting worse or maybe it's just a case of tired eyes... but I also know sitting in front of a computer all day at work certainly doesn't help my vision... Ack!

Edited by Dejah, 06 May 2004 - 12:18 PM.

#25 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 06 May 2004 - 12:24 PM

I also know sitting in front of a computer all day at work certainly doesn't help my vision... Ack!

I hear you on that one Dejah!

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#26 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 12:39 PM

[

Depends on your perspective, now doen't it? :teeth:

Well, the alternative to getting older is not getting older, which only comes with death. I'll pass, given any options. :teeth:

Edited by DandyDon, 06 May 2004 - 12:53 PM.

#27 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 06 May 2004 - 01:52 PM

the lens hardens with age

I am glad that some things do!!!
Diving; My zen space.

#28 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 06 May 2004 - 01:57 PM

ummmmmm......uh.........

ok. i'll let that one pass...... :teeth:

#29 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 02:14 PM

ummmmmm......uh.........

ok. i'll let that one pass...... :teeth:

Oh my, I'm with you on that one girl... :teeth:

#30 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 10:32 AM

Ok-it hardens with age...but it doesn't "unharden"...like the cialys commercial says.."if it lasts for more than 4 hours"... LOL
~Jacques Cousteau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users