• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Optically Challenged Diving

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 07 May 2004 - 11:46 AM

I almost ordered the wrong SeaVision mask. (See "You talk funny" thread http://www.singlediv...p?showtopic=571 )

The order taker took my request, but entered SV's Guage Reader mask. Fortunately, after I faxed in my script, they called to ask if I wanted Guage Readers or Full Bi-Focals.

(1) SV Guage reader masks, if I understand correctly, have regular lens except for the lower area - which are magnifiers. Looks the same a Bi-Focal mask, but works like the half lens reading glasses out of water.

(2) For $20+ more, you can get your prescriptions for the viewing area and the reading area both.

Even if one only uses the half lens reading glasses otherwise, you might consider requesting a Bi-Focal prescription to order a BF mask.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#32 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 30 August 2004 - 05:32 PM

Anyone here have any experience with Lasik and diving?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#33 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 15 September 2004 - 07:33 PM

This is what I found on DAN's site...does anyone have any other info??

Q: How long should I wait before going back into the water after Lasik surgery and what other effects might there be?

A: The Lasik laser procedure is performed many thousands of times each year. Risks are reported to be minimal and improvement in vision is said to be considerable. The physician performing the procedure will provide you with recommendations for activity following Lasik surgery. In general, it's suggested that you can return to all of your normal activities without disrupting the healing process in two weeks. However there is no specific data on when it's safe to return to diving, nor has there been any research on the effects of a mask squeeze and the negative pressure it can create on an eye that has had this procedure.
Considering the lack of specific data, in uncomplcated cases, a conservative recommendation would be to wait an extra two weeks to allow the eye extra healing time.

Edited by ioconsult, 15 September 2004 - 07:40 PM.

'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#34 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 September 2004 - 07:51 PM

I was told to wait at least a month when I had mine. Of coure, I waited until the diving season was nearly over to have it done anyway.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#35 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 15 September 2004 - 07:52 PM

I was told to wait at least a month when I had mine. Of coure, I waited until the diving season was nearly over to have it done anyway.

And no problems Marvel?
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#36 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 September 2004 - 07:59 PM

I was told to wait at least a month when I had mine. Of course, I waited until the diving season was nearly over to have it done anyway.

And no problems Marvel?

From diving? None at all! :cool2: My only issue was caused by excessive dryness- my surgery was delayed a couple of weeks & my improved vision was not instantly noticeable. It took several months for my right eye to get to where it is now.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#37 kherron

kherron

Getting started

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW+
  • Logged Dives:30-50

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:37 PM

I've gotten so used to my zapped eyes that I didn't even consider the effect LASIK might had while diving. I had the procedure done in 98 and didn't even give a second thought when I started diving again. I've had no problems with the procedure and don't expect any, but I'm probably going to need readers sometime in the future. So the Doc asked me before the procedure, "Why are you getting this done?" and I replied, "So I can see who I'm eating." The Doc and his staff couldn't start the procedure for fifteen minutes. (The staff are friends.) Do yourself a favor and check into any 'permanent' vision correction available for your condition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users