• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Lift the ban on commercial and recreational fishing of great whites?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

Australia Fisheries Minister proposes to lift the ban on commercial and recreational fishing of great whites.
http://www.independe...im-7945354.html

#2 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Unreal. I wouldn't go surfing there, and probably not dive either - but I also wouldn't smear myself in antelope scent and walk across the veldt.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#3 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

We've been seeing what may be a resurgence of great white activity along our coast recently. It's THEIR world and if we enter it as bathers or divers, we need to recognize that. The post-"Jaws" hysteria with GWS being killed all over the world was sad. Let's not return to those days. Of course here in SoCal I believe there has only been one diver death due to GWS in the last 50 years. Of course I don't surf, paddleboard or do ocean swimming over "deep" water!!

#4 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

Just thought I'd add this to the mix.

Slo-Mo GWS in Action

Rick

:usflag:

#5 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Just thought I'd add this to the mix.

Slo-Mo GWS in Action

Rick

:usflag:

Thanks for sharing. Fantastic, riveting, and I'll admit it scary. That's why cage diving was a good option. :teeth: But both Bill and Mark are right. The ocean is THEIR realm, and we need to respect that, and not push the limits.

"After looping around, Mr Holmes returned to the scene. "I just thought about his family and if he had kids," he said. "I just wanted to get him to shore. [But] when I came back the second time, it took the rest of him." The shark - which other surfers had noticed over the previous four days and nicknamed "Brutus" because of its size - was last seen heading out to deeper waters."

#6 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Back in June we had a GWS take a sea lion just outside the dive park boundary line (nice of it to respect the line!). Last month a sea lion with its left rear flipper and a big chunk of its hind end missing swam into the harbor. Yesterday a sea lion surface right by the dive park steps with several big chunks taken out of its body. Yep, the landlord has been active here lately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users