• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Next class to take

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:52 AM

Like Brian said, GUE is an agency. Primarily they teach cave and tech diving classes, but DIR-F is kind of a OW skills refinement class for both recreational divers and aspiring tech divers alike. I think a lot of recreational divers wouldn't like it because they require you to change your gear to a more technical set-up ( I like it though ), but I think a lot of the added focus on practicing skills that you learn in the class is something everyone could benefit from, even if they never took the class.

Good luck in your class, I know you'll learn a lot.

#32 ColoradoPilot

ColoradoPilot

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:>300

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:55 PM

My recommendation is at least take the Rescue Diver course. You become a mucho better diver and can help yourself and others.

I also suggest diving in a variety of conditions. Cozumel is great but being comfortable in low viz is also good.

Ultimately I have worked to become self-reliant. Some may balk at that since it suggests solo diving but the two are not necessarily tied together.

Beyond Rescue, take whatever interests you.

#33 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:19 PM

A diver at my dive center refused to use any backplate that wasn't made by Halcyon..... DiveRite, Custom Divers and Scubapro were all available.

#34 WreckGoddess

WreckGoddess

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Board Status:Studying for Exams (May 1-15th)
  • Cert Level:Master Diver / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 14 October 2004 - 06:40 PM

Yo! Let me know where you are taking it.. and I might join you!
"If you gave me several million years, there would be nothing that did not grow in beauty if it were surrounded by water."
~JAN ERIK VOLD, What All The World Knows, 1970~

Check out the next NOVA/DC/MD Happy Hour/Or Local Event

#35 medic13

medic13

Getting started

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cert Level:intro to tech diving
  • Logged Dives:586

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:26 AM

as others have stated it is a separate course from padi , SSI, ymca, naui ect , yes you need to learn and in my mind have your basic skills down first, this course is actually more for the Tech type but has been made to use with general diving with out any problems for me .
I don' t think its a course for everyone by no means and I am sure there are allot out there who push it , I don't but do fill its a good course .
and yes VaScubaGirl its me medic13 from scuba board . I am back in school again learning web page creation once and for all LOL so some of my time taken by that right now take care .

#36 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:10 PM

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of practicing skills at non-stressful times during a dive, I wouldn't recommend people taking their masks off at a safety stop, unless they either have exceptional buoyancy control or they've taken steps to ensure they don't ascend. Being slightly negative and hanging on a line from an SMB (surface marker buoy) would do it; relying on your buddy to spot if you start to go up and then stop you would not. Nor would hanging on the average anchor line.

#37 SquattingRadishDM

SquattingRadishDM

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Divemaster, Dry Suit....eventually the IDC...then Paradise
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 20 October 2004 - 01:04 PM

VaScubaGirl, as this thread was started a while ago can you give us an update on how ur training is going. What course(s) did you take? You mentioned taking a rescue course.
The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there. But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence. There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

#38 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 05:56 PM

The single course that opened my eyes most of all was IANTD Advanced Nitrox. That's when I was first exposed to the complexity of multi tanks, thinking about and experimenting with gear layouts so I was in proper control, and becoming self-sufficient. I think in the PADI system I was already DM, but I could easily have done it at the Rescue stage. Not earlier, though. I think a PADI diver should plan on reaching Rescue regardless of what direction they want to go afterwards, then going towards either DM or tech diving. I'm not a DIR fan, but however you learn you should master your equipment so you are in contol of it, not the other way around.

#39 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 October 2004 - 12:32 AM

I'm with you. The Advanced Nitrox opened up my eyes in a way similar to the DIRf reports that I read. It took me six months to complete and was worth every minute for the gas management skills and other dive planning skills that were taught. Talk about being humbled. I don't think that any of us shot our lift bags right the first time. I was taking my DiveCon course in the same frame of time and the two complimented each other as to the water skills required.

I always recommend advanced training. When I can scrape the funds together, I plan to do my Normoxic Tri-Mix.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#40 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:48 AM

That will depend a great deal on your goals. Some people like to collect cards. Others have specific things they want to accomplish in diving. They want to concentrate on diving wrecks or they want to learn more about the environment of reefs. You didn't tell us how long you've been diving or how many dives you've logged. You may want to simply dive with a mentor and gain practical experience outside the formal class.

Walter,

Very practical advice. I seldom hear anyone say that, mostly folks push classes. I like your way of thinking!!

Linda
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#41 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:39 AM

Thanks Linda, classes are fine in their place, but nothing replaces experience. I've learned more from mentors than I've ever learned in any class. One of those mentors, Bob, started diving about the time I was born. Easy going, laid back, extremely sharp and willing to talk as long as he had a beer in his hand. I've lost touch with him and would dearly love to locate him. I've made several attempts in the last few years, but with no luck. Several folks met another great mentor of mine, John, during the Florida Regional trip in August. WreckWench, finGrabber and I spend a delightful evening with him and his family after the Keys dives. John's not laid back at all and can be a tad gruff, but he's probably the most knowledgeable diver I've ever met.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#42 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:32 AM

That will depend a great deal on your goals.  Some people like to collect cards.  Others have specific things they want to accomplish in diving.  They want to concentrate on diving wrecks or they want to learn more about the environment of reefs.  You didn't tell us how long you've been diving or how many dives you've logged.  You may want to simply dive with a mentor and gain practical experience outside the formal class.

Like many, I have done both!

When I wish to learn a more specific skill, (like diving with doubles and stage bottles with a staged deco plan) I take a class. This last summer, I felt that I was better off diving within my training and just getting proficient.

As my mentors became instructors, I don't often get to dive with them anymore. Most of the time, they have students in tow now and that doesn't make for the most fun dives. The rest of the time for them is Tri-Mix and I am not trained for that. So, it's either learn Tri-Mix at a cost that takes away from other diving or try to find new mentors :lmao: (which hasn't been easy).
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#43 FreeFloat

FreeFloat

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / DIR-F in training
  • Logged Dives:165+

Posted 22 October 2004 - 08:30 PM

In order to enter successfully into a relationship with a mentor, you also have to be open to learning.

Just hang around and keep quiet and watch... mentors can appear in the most unlikely spots.

The louder or more self-assured divers, or those who may appear to have closed minds, almost never find those few really good divers who could mentor them.
FreeFloat
Toronto (North York), Ontario

Another day Wet is another day Happy

#44 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 22 October 2004 - 08:40 PM

Also ask lots of questions, especially of netural 3rd party people. I always thought I would love cave diving, in my advanced class there was a 2 hour or so lechture on the topic, pros, cons, what all is involved, I decided that night it was not for me.

Linda :fish2:
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#45 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 05:27 AM