• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2013-11/12: And finally...WHERE TO DIVE IN NOV ???

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

And finally...where to dive in Nov and/or Dec/New Years????

Cozumel??? Belize??? These have been classic favorites! How about San Sal Bahamas again??? Or Little Cayman??? Or someplace else.... YOU TELL US!!! :wakawaka:/>/>/>/>

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

Would consider Roatan. Have always wanted to get back to the Caymans for an extended dive vacation there. Have only ever done the cruise ship rotation on Grand Cayman. I know there is so much more to do, there. Oct/Nov would work better for me, as I'll have my boys next Christmas & will be going somewhere with them, probably Hawaii. Open to anything, really. Love Cozumel, though I've been there 3 times.

Thanks, Kamala!

#3 HoustonAngelfish

HoustonAngelfish

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

And finally...where to dive in Oct, Nov and/or Dec/New Years????

Roatan??? Cozumel??? These have been classic favorites! How about Belize again??? Or Little Cayman??? Or someplace else.... YOU TELL US!!! :wakawaka:

raja ampat,philippines,fiji,little cayman,tobago

#4 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

Ditto - - Fiji, Tobago, Little Cayman, etc. WARM places with great DIVING.

I also want to dive the Undersea Hunter 10 day trip to Cocos Island (Costa Rica). It would be great to do this trip with SD.com (especially since it would be more fun & a better rate), but if there's no interest from the group, then I'll do it on my own.

Thanks!

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

We *may* have a chance to do it as a group trip if enough interest... I am working with several dive shops and they will be booking via our trips individuals as well as using our booking services for their own trips. Several of them are looking at a big destination for next fall and Cocos or Galapagos is high on the list.

Susan can you do a quick look see to find out if Undersea Hunter has full boat openings for next fall? I'll then send them an official request for dates/pricing etc. We'll look at what our options are... :cool1:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

If people are interested in Tabago... which operator?

I'm definitely interested in Little Cayman even with the reduced luggage allowances... the diving there that one day was awesome!

formerly...

#7 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

Checking the Undersea Hunter website http://www.underseah...vessel=2&year=1

This company has two other boats, Seahunter & Argo, which also also have 10 to 12 day trips to Cocos. Their website (which lists all three boats) has basic info, but no details about if any specific trip. There's a 12 day trip in August and another in Sept. Remember that the boat ride from the west shore of Costa Rica out to the island is about 36 hours one way, so it might be best to maximize the dive time while at/near Cocos. Just a hint.

Thanks!

#8 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Seeing all of the feedback come in the last 24 hours, I would go Cocos or Little Cayman. Cocos is high on my list.

:thankyou:

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Hey gang...will do some checking here is some info:

The vast majority of divers who have been to Cocos, agree that it is among the world’s most spectacular diving spots. The statistics also lend support to this theory with some 250 fish species and over 32 coral species. As a speck in the ocean, Cocos’ shores enjoy a concentration of nutrients drawing in various life forms in the food chain, culminating in scalloped hammerheads, dolphins and Galapagos sharks.

Cocos is a long way from shore. It takes up to 35 hours to get there from the Costa Rican mainland. Cocos Island liveaboards are the only option since there are no facilities on the island.

Cocos is not big. There are over 20 dive sites all around the island. The best Cocos scuba diving is around Cocos Island itself! Some of the best known and loved dive sites have names like Bajo Alcyone, Manuelita Deep, Dirty Rock and Dos Amigos Pequeña.

Water Temperature varies depending on the time of year, generally ranging as follows: 25° - 28°C (78-82°F) between November and May, and 24° - 27°C (76-80°F) from June to December. Temperatures can also vary from dive to dive and thermoclines can mean any given dive has quite a wide temperature range.

Generally speaking a 3 to 5 mm full length wetsuit plus a hood and booties are sufficient for most divers. However an extra mm or two plus gloves might be needed if you feel the cold more than the average diver.

If you have a choice of fins, bring those which generate the greatest power since current and fast-moving creatures mean you might want more thrust. Drift dives mean a safety sausage is another "must have" and reef hooks are optional, and clearly each diver should have their own computer.

You might also want to consider bringing a spare mask, whistle, light and signaling mirror. (OR A DIVER'S GPS) Cocos is not the kind of place you want to be if you break equipment and don't have a spare, or where you run into difficulties, made worse by the lack of suitable equipment.

Cocos is NOT suitable for beginner divers. Cocos Island is a destination for experienced divers with a degree of confidence and fitness. There may be considerable current and surge in some areas. Drift dives are common. The marine creatures can be big, plentiful and in-your-face. For these reasons, divers need to have a reasonable level of experience.

There are other factors that suggest scuba divers ought to have earned their stripes before any Cocos Island dive trip. Thermoclines, heavy rain on the surface and a 30+ hour boat crossing from the Costa Rican mainland are not elements that an Open Water student would expect to be part of their early dive training.

The cruise to the island and back aka the "crossing" can be uncomfortable for some. It usually takes between 30 and 32 hours. We recommend taking precautions for motion sickness. You might also want to load up your MP3 player, bring some DVDs and a good book.

Cocos Island experiences rain on most days. December to April is considered the dry season, although even then brief showers are likely. In fact rainy spells plus sunny equatorial skies are normal throughout the year.

The dry season is when underwater visibility is at its best (up to 25 metres) and currents generally at their mildest. At this time of the year you can expect a lot of silky sharks and rays although hammerhead numbers are not huge. Most divers favor rainy season, from May to November, when, despite lower visibility and potentially stronger currents, you are more likely to see hundreds of hammerhead sharks.

formerly...

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hey Susan... UnderSea Hunter shows only trips for the early part of 2013:

13 Mar
Mar 2013
2013 Undersea Hunter Cocos Island, 10 days 5145 US$
26 Mar
Mar 2013
13 May
May 2013
10 May
Jun 2013

However SeaHunter shows trips for all year long. Pricing is steep and does not include any extra days in Costa Rica or air etc. This will easily be a $6500 trip if any add-on's are included and/or depending on the air.

Not sure how many people have this amount budgeted for this type of trip... PLEASE let us know if you do as that will help us decide if can book this or not. :thankyou:

formerly...

#11 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hey gang...will do some checking here is some info:

The vast majority of divers who have been to Cocos, agree that it is among the world's most spectacular diving spots. The statistics also lend support to this theory with some 250 fish species and over 32 coral species. As a speck in the ocean, Cocos' shores enjoy a concentration of nutrients drawing in various life forms in the food chain, culminating in scalloped hammerheads, dolphins and Galapagos sharks.

Cocos is a long way from shore. It takes up to 35 hours to get there from the Costa Rican mainland. Cocos Island liveaboards are the only option since there are no facilities on the island.

Cocos is not big. There are over 20 dive sites all around the island. The best Cocos scuba diving is around Cocos Island itself! Some of the best known and loved dive sites have names like Bajo Alcyone, Manuelita Deep, Dirty Rock and Dos Amigos Pequeña.

Water Temperature varies depending on the time of year, generally ranging as follows: 25° - 28°C (78-82°F) between November and May, and 24° - 27°C (76-80°F) from June to December. Temperatures can also vary from dive to dive and thermoclines can mean any given dive has quite a wide temperature range.

Generally speaking a 3 to 5 mm full length wetsuit plus a hood and booties are sufficient for most divers. However an extra mm or two plus gloves might be needed if you feel the cold more than the average diver.

If you have a choice of fins, bring those which generate the greatest power since current and fast-moving creatures mean you might want more thrust. Drift dives mean a safety sausage is another "must have" and reef hooks are optional, and clearly each diver should have their own computer.

You might also want to consider bringing a spare mask, whistle, light and signaling mirror. (OR A DIVER'S GPS) Cocos is not the kind of place you want to be if you break equipment and don't have a spare, or where you run into difficulties, made worse by the lack of suitable equipment.

Cocos is NOT suitable for beginner divers. Cocos Island is a destination for experienced divers with a degree of confidence and fitness. There may be considerable current and surge in some areas. Drift dives are common. The marine creatures can be big, plentiful and in-your-face. For these reasons, divers need to have a reasonable level of experience.

There are other factors that suggest scuba divers ought to have earned their stripes before any Cocos Island dive trip. Thermoclines, heavy rain on the surface and a 30+ hour boat crossing from the Costa Rican mainland are not elements that an Open Water student would expect to be part of their early dive training.

The cruise to the island and back aka the "crossing" can be uncomfortable for some. It usually takes between 30 and 32 hours. We recommend taking precautions for motion sickness. You might also want to load up your MP3 player, bring some DVDs and a good book.

Cocos Island experiences rain on most days. December to April is considered the dry season, although even then brief showers are likely. In fact rainy spells plus sunny equatorial skies are normal throughout the year.

The dry season is when underwater visibility is at its best (up to 25 metres) and currents generally at their mildest. At this time of the year you can expect a lot of silky sharks and rays although hammerhead numbers are not huge. Most divers favor rainy season, from May to November, when, despite lower visibility and potentially stronger currents, you are more likely to see hundreds of hammerhead sharks.

Thanks, Kamala!!! The boat ride doesn't bother me, as I've been dealing with heavy seas most of my life. Any time of year would interest me, though, obviously, I'd like to see as many critters as possible. I've been researching this trip for quite some time & know the cost is high. I believe that the payoff is even higher, however. Aggressor/Dancer Fleets also operate down there.

Appreciate your willingness to consider it!!! :cool1:

#12 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hey Susan... UnderSea Hunter shows only trips for the early part of 2013:

13 Mar
Mar 2013
26 Mar
Mar 2013
13 May
May 2013
10 May
Jun 2013

However SeaHunter shows trips for all year long. Pricing is steep and does not include any extra days in Costa Rica or air etc. This will easily be a $6500 trip if any add-on's are included and/or depending on the air.

Not sure how many people have this amount budgeted for this type of trip... PLEASE let us know if you do as that will help us decide if can book this or not. :thankyou:

If you click on the schedule for all three boats, it will show the schedule until the end of 2013. The first time I checked just the Undersea Hunter for 2013, it just showed the schedule thru June 2013. They must have a computer clitch.....

#13 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

Total trip price is important, but quality adventure diving such as Cocos is worth the price. However, even I need a lot of advance notice to budge for a trip such as this.

If the group would prefer Little Cayman for 2013, I'd still like to go here too.

Cocos could be 2014 during the summer months when most people might have a more flexible vacation schedule. Just an option.

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

That may be a good option...the price will probably be higher for 2014 BUT it would probably be a safer bet to allow people LOTS of time to save up UNLESS this group from GA I am working with can enable us to pull this off next fall.

I am checking availability for both Little Cayman, Cocos etc

We need a trip for Labor Day.... Fall (either Oct or Nov) and possibly NYE or early December.

I certainly WANT to do Cocos and Galapagos again... and I want to do Little Cayman but also want to offer reasonably priced trips too!

formerly...

#15 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

How about the Socorro Islands? Seems like it would be much easier to get to and about 1/2 the cost.

I had a great time on our last Belize trip last New Years. I'd be interested in doing that again as some point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users