• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Is Cozumel fun and safe?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 James from DC

James from DC

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hello eveyrone. This is my first post to this website. I am a diver, and I am single, so I guess I'm in the right place. I have about 40 dives now under my belt. In fact on my last trip I logged the very last page of the open water log book they gave me. woo hoo! anyway, i'm trying to make a plan for January or February. i would have loved the SD San Salvador trip but in my office i have to stress toward the end of the calendar year. I actually have been to San Salvador at the Club Med there and it is a really nice place. There really is no one there on the island so it does feel like a "get away from it all" place.

anway, i was thinking of taking a trip to Cozumel in February. i am curious if people think this is still an elite diving destination. my impression is that at one time, it was unheard of and the diving was great, but that now it has been over-dived (real word). none the less, it seems like a fairly cheap destination. also i am under the impression that Cancun and Cozumel are insulated from Mexico's drugs issue. i would be interested in comments. anyone else inerested?? my target date was like February 6-13.

thanks,

James

Edited by James from DC, 27 November 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#2 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

James,I had my 1st Ocean experience in Cozumel in 06.As far as I know there aren't any issues of safety currently..I recently (March)was in the Puerta Adventuras area, which is south of Coz. ..We went into Coz for dinner & had no problems.
If you are interested in Cenotes,that would be a good area to look into.As a alternate, I would suggest you try & see the Underwater Museum in the Cancun area.Statues sculpted by Morris Simon.
I know Kamala has some contacts or can assist you in finding the (right) spot or Dive shop for you.
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#3 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hello, James,

Been to Cozumel 3 times since the mid-80's. LOVE IT!!! Though Cancun isn't my scene, Cozumel is great. Palancar Reef.

I travel to Mexico, extensively. It is as safe as it's ever been. Just like anywhere else in the world, if you are looking for trouble, you'll find it. The hysteria that the media generates is greatly over-stated. What Mexico needs most is our patronage. The people are warm & welcoming, just like the waters.

Go for it!!!

#4 AirHead

AirHead

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hey James,

I try to get to Cozumel once a year. It is as you said a cheep trip and I love the diving there. I know that when SD goes, they usually stay as Casa Del Mar. That is where I usually stay and it is a nice small quiet resort. I have always felt safe in Cozumel. My advise is to book a trip and go dive.

Buz
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake W.C. Fields

#5 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

I've been to Cozumel at least once a year for the past several years. The hurricane in 06 tore up a lot, but the reef's recovering well, and I never get tired of diving there.

As far as safety - I think Cozumel is very safe, I've noticed more security in place when you land at the airport, and an increase in air and water patrols. It's my sense that the local government is doing all it can to protect their tourist industry.

Edited by Capn Jack, 27 November 2012 - 04:17 PM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#6 James from DC

James from DC

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the feeback guys. I wasn't really particularly worried about safety, although it had crossed my mind. I mean I never hear of anything about Cancun and Cozumel. I was more concerned about Cozumel as a quality diving destination. From what I am reading, it sounds like it's definitely a fun spot. One of my local dive shops is sponsoring a trip down there, and I was thinking about taking it because it's at the right time and the right price. I didn't want to mention it too much here because I know SD has their own trips. Anyway, I think I'm inclined to go now. But to really stir up the pot, I am going to ask readers to opine on whether Cozumel would be a better spot than Bonaire. My impression of Bonaire is that there are lots of colorful fish, but not that many big animals. Opinions?

Edited by James from DC, 27 November 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

Thanks JamesFromDC...we do offer trips and we'd love to have you join us on one...they are 'custom made' for the single, solo or buddyless traveler and even a few couples who want 'sleep together' discounts for rooms with one 1 bed in them!

As for Cozy vs Bonaire you'll get LOTS of opinions...they are equally amazing in their own rights. I run an annual trip to Cozumel and Boniare so it should tell you something... more people usually go on the Bonaire trip but that could be timing...not sure. Bonaire does have turtles and rays as does Cozumel. Cozy has more nurse sharks and they each have eels although I think they are bigger in Cozy.

My suggestion is to do each and then decide for yourself... and in the meantime if you can do Cozy in Feb go for your shop trip and if you can do Bonaire in April then consider our trip! ;)

And welcome to our diving community! We are the ONLY group of our type and have worked hard to remain the 'real deal' so we hope to have your join us soon! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

IMO safety in either CZM or BON is a non issue along the main tourist streets of either location, however be a bit more safety aware in CZM 4 or 5 streets off the main shore road if your doing a solo walkabout. Hey I LUV drift diving = CZM.

Join us on a trip down the road. Lot's of fun!! Check out our last Full Moon Party.
http://www.singlediv...588#entry304588
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#9 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

Hello and Welcome to SD, James!

I have been to both Bonaire and Cozumel. I to will be going to Cozumel, for the 4th time!! It was the place of my first ocean dives and I fell in love with it! The swim throughs are my favorite!! The fish life and the reefs are still lively and lovely. I went with Singledivers in '09 for Halloween and had an awesome time!

Bonaire was also taken with SD! The trips are always well planned and FUN!! I really thought I would return there, but it hasn't happened yet. It is a place of relaxation, IMO. It was some of the easiest diving I've ever done. SD stayed at Divi Flamingo and I wouldn't want to stay any other place. It had a beach, pools, and the dive dock was right at your feet!

Whichever place you choose, you will enjoy it, I'm sure! And if you can make a trip with SD, you won't be disappointed!! I hope to meet you on a trip sometime!
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#10 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Wow, alot of different questions.

Yes Cozumel took a major hit from hurricane Wilma in 2006, and recovers a bit more every year. Will it ever get back to what it was? Probably not.

Safety seems to be about the same as any island in the caribbean. All have issues with the drug trade. its a fact of life. Is Cozumel more dangerous than the others? Not from what I've seen in annual trips for the last 6 years. President Calderon vacations there, diving with Aldora Divers if it tells you something.

It's been a few years since I've been to Bonaire, going back in April. Yes you probably have more bigger stuff in Cozumel. The tradeoff is that town and the reef are quite a ways apart. So you have to choose whether to stay close to town with long boat rides, or close to the reef with long taxi rides to get to town. With Bonaire you have the best of both. You can get a primo dive right off teh dock and walk out the back gate at Divi and you are in town. Cozumel is all drift diving. Bonaire you have much more control over your own dives.

#11 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

Cozumel has awesome diving, and is very safe. So don't go in February, it will be too cold. Go with us when Wreckwench posts the trip for 2013. Sorry you can't make it to San Salvadore, we are going to have a blast!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users