• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Trip Report: Cuba: Jardines de la Reina

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

Angel & Charter SD Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Board Status:Planning my next dive trip!
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

I traveled to Cuba by myself. I could have flown through Toronto, but chose Mexico City instead. I had to stay a night in Mex. City,and then catch my flight to Havana the next day. It was rather confusing about how to go about buying the visa, but some Interjet workers pulled me out of line and put me in line to get my visa and then allowed me to get back in my original place in line. Very nice. Interjet is a very clean, new, well run airline. I would recommend it to anyone. After passing customs in Havana (they didn't stamp my passport after I asked them not to), I spent the night in an h10 Hotel Panorama. This hotel is ok if you get on of the many renovated floors. If not, prepare to be disappointed. It was a short layover anyway. A 4 am a representative from Avalon met me and the other divers (who were a large group from Poland) at the hotel with a bus that was going to take us on the 8 hour trek to the port of Jucaro on the south side of Cuba. There were several rest stops along the way. We finally got to the boat, and then had to motor out 5 hours to the dive site where we were moored near the Tortuga, which is another vessel belonging to the Avalon fleet.

The Avalon is a beautiful boat, but it is not set up for divers. There is no shower on the dive deck and limited space to hang wetsuits. The was a two tiered camera table and a camera rinse tank. None of the group respected the rules surrounding those camera facilities. People threw in masks, etc, into the camera tank. They threw anything and everything on the camera table. By the end of the first day, I took my camera off there and took it to my room to keep it safe. Finally I convinced one of the DMs to put aside a small container of fresh water for my camera for when I got off the boat. Food was decent, except that it was almost all fish, chicken and meat and a potato dish. There were hardly any green vegetables. Fruit was served with every meal.

The diving: It was all about the sharks: silky and gray reef. Yes they feed them and they come around a LOT. Temp was 81F. I wore a full lavacore with a lavocore hooded vest and covered all that with a 1.5 mm. I was very cold, but that is another topic for another forum... Had it not been for the sharks, I would have been extremely disappointed for this reason: the lionfish were huge and numerous on every dive. There were very few fish, other than grouper and snapper, and algae was forming all over the reef. They are fishing the lionfish, but only halfheartedly.

This trip took me three days down and three days back and I can think of lots of places I can go for that amount of time and money invested. The reefs represented by Anderson Cooper were not an honest representation of the area; there must have been a lot of footage and a lot of editing. There are several other negative things I could say about the operation, but to be fair, I think they are doing the best with what they have and the people they are working with. They allow smoking in the common areas and don't seem to enforce any rules about no drinking and diving. The group on the boat with me were smokers and heavy drinkers and frequently hit the bar before diving. The crew looked the other way.

The Tortuga is a floating hotel which is a bit more downscale from the Avalon and is less expensive. Diving from the Tortuga and the Avalon is from smaller boats where you gear up on the boat and back roll off.

I'm glad I was able to get so up close and personal with the sharks, but I wouldn't make a second trip. Feel free to ask me any questions. And no they didn't stamp my passport.

I will follow up with some pics later.

Edited by TCdamsel, 18 December 2012 - 06:16 AM.

Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.Benjamin E. Mays

Have a question...get an answer. Email: angels@singledivers.com

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,584 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

Oh Ellen I've been looking forward to this trip almost as much as you! I'm glad we could help you with the booking in exchange for the feedback as to whether SD should make this into a group trip. And while the problem of the lack of respect the divers showed on the boat would be solved (since it would be only our people on the trip) some of the other issues can not be resolved as readily. And I'm sure we could address most of them but the part about the diving not being as represented on the show is the deal breaker...and the part about costing a small fortune to get there doesn't help either.

Let's talk more when you are up to it! Glad you managed to save your vacation and had some fun! Hugs to you...glad you are back! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

TCdamsel,

That's definitely tough to hear about. I'm glad at least some of the vacation was decent and you were able to enjoy some great (seems like safe) shark exposure time. It's too bad that the mysterious Cuba didn't turn out to be as great as I'm sure a lot of us were hoping it would be.

-ScubaTurtle

#4 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

You are a brave soul little Miss Damsel!! Thanks for taking one for the team. :respect:/> Great report.

#5 WaterLou

WaterLou

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:Stopped diving for years, but approx. 10 last few yrs.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Wow very interesting trip report. I went to Varadaro a few years ago, not diving just at a resort but did 2 shore dives, and yes lots of lionfish. Like 3 under every ledge. :tears:/>/>

I'm just curious about the passport stamping...why you asked them not too?

cheers,

Louise

Edited by WaterLou, 18 December 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,584 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

Its not a problem for Canadians but its still not legal for Americans to be in Cuba unless you have a humanitarian Visa or a few other special visa's. The "I gotta dive in Cuba" visa is not yet approved! ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#7 WaterLou

WaterLou

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:Stopped diving for years, but approx. 10 last few yrs.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Thanks Kamala,

You are such a hoot!! :D/>

#8 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,121 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Gosh Ellen, I am awed by your intrepid spirit as well as the smarts it takes to navigate the maze of international air travel to and from Castroland. :-D I am sorry the trip was not all it could have been; and yet, you have pioneered a destination few Yanks have dared attempt. :respect: I hope I am lucky enough to have you as a dive buddy in 2013! :diver:
  • scubaclint likes this
Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,584 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

Well said Brad!!

formerly...

#10 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

Angel & Charter SD Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Board Status:Planning my next dive trip!
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

What a nice thing to say, Brad. Thank you!
Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.Benjamin E. Mays

Have a question...get an answer. Email: angels@singledivers.com

#11 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Whew... glad it wasn't Catalina Island's great white steam ship the Avalon! It sank years ago.

Now that travel restrictions are being eased for Cubans, maybe our government will start allowing US citizens more leeway to go there. I've heard from friends that the diving is great. After all, for whatever else he is, Castro was a SCUBA diver and Jacques-Yves Cousteau apparently was impressed by him.

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,584 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

I guess you have to define "great". One of our divers just went and said the diving was not that great. :(

She is a very experienced world traveler having done numerous trips with SD and has been a scout for us on several occasions...this being one of them. For over $3000 EUROS we can offer MUCH better trips for our members.

formerly...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users