• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Costa Rica Diving

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ch20diver

ch20diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:370

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

I would like to dive in Costa Rica Sept 2014...but I know nothing about it. Anyone have information on where to stay? or which side to dive from?

Is there shore diving? Those are the things I would like to know. I am researching on line also, but lots of information to wade through. Personel experience is so much more valuable...

thanks
christine

#2 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

:hiya:/> , Christine! Though I haven't been there, YET, the ultimate diving in Costa Rica is Cocos Island, only reachable via liveaboard & a minimum 10 day itinerary. It's 300+ miles off the coast in the Pacific.

However, in 2008, I dove at Ocotal, on the Pacific side, in May. The visibility was a bit down (about 55'), due to on-going rainstorms. Lots of white tips, eagle rays, a variety of morays, tons of octopus & devil rays.

I will definitely get back to Costa Rica, again. Cocos, for sure. I would go there anytime, however. Not familiar with the Caribbean side, at all.

Average depths were around 80'.

Hope this helps!!

:diver:/>

#3 ch20diver

ch20diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:370

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for information....live a board is not an option. So it must be a land based operation.

#4 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

I would like to dive in Costa Rica Sept 2014...but I know nothing about it. Anyone have information on where to stay? or which side to dive from?

Is there shore diving? Those are the things I would like to know. I am researching on line also, but lots of information to wade through. Personel experience is so much more valuable...

thanks
christine

Christine, I just returned from there.I was there for 10 days. I stayed at Los Suenos,with some frends.This was on the Pacific side.Herradura Beach area or near Jaco. I will tell you.I have been diving the Carribean for some time now.If you have ?Then get ready for a different experience. There are not alot of Dive shops along the coast.Which should have been a clue.The vis was only 20 to 40' max.Strong current and Thermoclines,that dropped temp about 10 deg's.I was hoping to get to see some Peligic's..Not...I did manage to get a shot of some VERY colorful Puffers..Yellow's & Dk Purple's with white spots. A King Angel,Star fish of very bright colors.After we dove with Herradura Divers.I and another diver then drove south to Quepos .Hoping the conditions would improve..No difference.Oceans Unlimited.Again,a great shop.As the DM's told us there,"Your spoiled from the Carribean". The one common thing that is seen ,is surfers.These areas are know for this sport.The tides coming in at shore were 5-6 ft.No b.s.

As Buzo G mentioned ,yes Cocos Island is a more attracted dive area.Another area you might check out.Punta Renas.Take the ferry over to Playa Narano.Puna Tambor has some diving there.Would be a trek though.And $.

As for the place to stay,there are some nice well know Hotels through out ,the country.Depending on where you fly into.
The people are nice.The food,i.e.Ceveche..is out of this world..With only doing 2 days of diving,the rest of the time we went and did Zip lining & White water rafting.Also went up to 2 Volcano's.It is a very nature oriented country.Watch your time table.Right now the dry season is on.I think it started in Oct. and runs through Mar./April.You might look at the wet season time frame..Currentl the currency is Colon's.500 to 1 US dollar.Prices are fair on some things ,high on others.Gas was about equal to here High $3.80/gal to $4.00,when converted from ltr's.I will say the cars there ,get better gas mpg.I.e.,we rented a Diahzu/stick .Which you need because of all the mountanous terrain.The gas mpg we got was around 40.Hope this sheds some helpful info to your trip plans..

Edited by Greg@ihpil, 01 March 2013 - 07:42 PM.

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#5 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

Must say I had a better experience than Greg did. I thought the diving was just fine at Ocotal. I also went to the volcanoes at Arenal. The hot springs & the sweat lodge are a must! I did go to one other place on the coast, though I can't recall where it was. Didn't dive there. It was all about the surfing. Pura vida!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users