• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Key Largo Nov. 11-14

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 depthcharge65

depthcharge65

Getting started

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 27 October 2004 - 05:31 PM

Hi --

The WreckGoddess, Seawitch and myself are planning to dive in Key Largo Nov. 11-14. Will be arriving late Nov. 10. Staying at Amoray Dive Resort.

Planning to dive the Duane on Nov. 11 with Island Ventures. Tentatively morning and afternoon.

Diving the Spiegel Grove with Amoray on afternoon of Nov. 12. Will probably dive reefs in the morning and/or maybe do a night dive. Maybe the Eagle further south?

Kind of open on plans for Nov. 13, but will likely dive the Spiegel Grove again in the morning. I'll be sitting out the afternoon because of Sunday travel, but WG and SW are planning to dive, I believe.

If you'd like to join us, that would be great. If you can't make it, have different plans, and/or just in the area, it would still be great to meet up for dinner, drinks, firewalking, conga dancing, toga party, whatever. my cell number is 202-549-9587.

Right now, additional spots for the Nov. 11 dives are "wide open," according to Brian with Island Ventures. Has a 12-pack boat. Costs are $60 per person, for tanks and weights. Plus $7 extra per tank for nitrox. 80cf tanks for rent only. Phone is 1-866-293-5006.

The SG trip with Amoray on afternoon of Nov. 13 still has about 5-6 spots available. Price is $45, plus $6 per tank for nitrox. 80cf tanks for rent only. Phone is 1-800-426-6729.

Look forward to meeting and diving with some of you.

Drew
"Sixty-three dollars
and a chain link fence
is all that separates me
from my El Camino."

-from Redneck Haikus

#2 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 October 2004 - 05:41 PM

You will like Brian's operation, Drew. I'm VERY tempted to (cough, cough) call in that day since I've never dived the Duane before & of course, his prices are really good for the keys.... :teeth:

Let me know if you guys are interested in doing some hour and a half "safety stops" in my side yard.... :welcome:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#3 idive2

idive2

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW NITROX
  • Logged Dives:140

Posted 27 October 2004 - 06:39 PM

drew, i'll be floating around the area that weekend, the grove on the 12th,
friday afternoon has my interest, i'll book with amoray and maybe see ya there...

Kevin

#4 WreckGoddess

WreckGoddess

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Board Status:Studying for Exams (May 1-15th)
  • Cert Level:Master Diver / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 27 October 2004 - 06:48 PM

If you'd like to join us, that would be great. If you can't make it, have different plans, and/or just in the area, it would still be great to meet up for dinner, drinks, firewalking, conga dancing, toga party, whatever.

I'm in for the firewalking and toga party!!! Ya'll all knew I had some special talents, right!? LOL :clapping:

Okay.. okay.. actually I will be there the entire time! But I would love to get a chance to meet my Floridian SDr's!! So just let Depthcharge65, Seawitch or myself know and we can plan something awesome!!

btw.. I have a confession to make -- this will the first for me! I've never dove the keys before!! :cloud9: I'm so exited!!!

Let me know if you guys are interested in doing some hour and a half "safety stops" in my side yard.... 

Marvel & Kevin!! I would love to dive with you both.. and btw.. I am always in to long safety stops!! :cool2:
"If you gave me several million years, there would be nothing that did not grow in beauty if it were surrounded by water."
~JAN ERIK VOLD, What All The World Knows, 1970~

Check out the next NOVA/DC/MD Happy Hour/Or Local Event

#5 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:DM, Adv Nitrox, Deco
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 October 2004 - 08:39 AM

I'll be around that weekend - will try and join you for the afternoon dive on the Thursday (assuming nothing important is going on in my DM class that night)...i have wrecks booked for the rest of the weekend too with a couple of different operators

#6 celticsiren

celticsiren

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:10

Posted 28 October 2004 - 02:27 PM

Hey I'll be in the area that wknd, so I'll see you guys there!
:P
Lynn (aka CelticSiren)

#7 depthcharge65

depthcharge65

Getting started

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, nitrox

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:05 PM

cool, sounds like we'll all have a good time. look forward to meeting and diving with everyone.

Drew
"Sixty-three dollars
and a chain link fence
is all that separates me
from my El Camino."

-from Redneck Haikus

#8 Funewgy

Funewgy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:10 PM

A week ago Saturday I did one dive on the Duane and another on the Spiegel Grove with Captain Slate's -- $45 for the trip. A couple of great wrecks!!!

BTW, my current avatar is taken at the prop of the Spiegel Grove by my dive buddy. Those screws are huge!!!
"Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call" -- J. Buffett

#9 Seawitch

Seawitch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:44 PM

To those of you that will be joining us, I am looking forward to meeting and diving with all of you.

This is going to be awsome.

Are we there yet, are we there yet? :P :cool1:

"The battle of the sexes cannot be won; there is too much fraternization with the enemy" - Henry Kissinger

#10 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:15 PM

Hi everyone!

I met this really awesome woman online you might know as WreckGoddess. I thought she was sincere and sweet, but it turned out that she was only pimping for this website and made me join the group.

I became really excited when I read the first posts about the Key Largo trip and saw that you are using Island Ventures for a day's diving. I used to work at World Watersports when I lived in Key Largo and I helped Brian out in the mornings. You will love diving with him. He's the best captain in the Keys IMHO after having dove with most every dive charter. Going out with Brian is like diving off your brother's boat rather than a commercial charter. He had a one boat operation when I was there, but last November I drove down to dive caves and then head to Key Largo to dive the Spiegel Grove. I went out with Brian who now operates two boats. One is usually for recreational divers and the new one is for technical divers. The recreational boat used a ladder while the technical boat used a swim platform which makes it easier to hand stage bottles, video equipment, scooters and the like up to the captain. I think he may have installed a ladder though. Brian provides orange slices and water, so if you require more than that for snacks you're welcome to bring it aboard.

Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Center is a nice place to stay. The operation caters primarily to the recreational diver. The last time I dove with them, they were using a 45 foot catamaran. As you know, they aren't the most comfortable in rough seas. Speaking of which, for those of you who haven't been diving in the Keys, the seas can be rough at times and you can get blown out. So, take any precautions for motion sickness that work for you. If you get blown out you can always dive Jules' Undersea Lodge :-)

The Spiegel Grove, for those of you who haven't dove it, offers something for every diver. If the seas are calm and the current is nonexistent or mild, beginners can enjoy this wreck exploring the exterior in 60+ feet of water. In seas or in strong currents, it's best left to advanced divers. I've been on it when 1/2 of a technical team ended up blown off the wreck and deploying SMB's as well as when there was no current whatsoever. That's common to diving that area anyway. For example, the Duane is usually where you can find bull sharks. It's a plethora of marine life when the current is strong, but on the days when there is little current you usually will find less life.

The Spiegel is great for penetration. The last time I dove it, we did a single stage DIR tech dive with some guys from Extreme Exposure. We ran cave line into the wreck, but you can also find some guidelines that are permanently installed to enjoy penetration. Since it is on its side, when you are inside the wreck, you can become disoriented so if you're new to wreck diving keep that in mind. If you love penetration diving and don't mind the fact that it is an artificial reef you will love this wreck! I adore it! You will want as much gas as you can carry!

Anyway, I'm probably going to be able to join your group if all goes well. My name is Trace and I'm currently in the Pocono Mountains of PA. I'm a SCUBA instructor and lifeguard. I enjoy all forms of diving, but freediving has been a love since I was a child. I'm an instructor trainer in that sport. Unfortunately, I've been indoctrinated into the GUE/DIR camp and I'm trying to break free. I might need a support group!

Trace Malinowski
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#11 Seawitch

Seawitch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 03 November 2004 - 07:56 AM

Hi Trace,

You have to look out for WG, she is sleek, :teeth:

Seriously, glad you decided to join us. Looking forward to meeting and diving with you.

Thanks for the great information.

See ya' there.

SW

"The battle of the sexes cannot be won; there is too much fraternization with the enemy" - Henry Kissinger

#12 WreckGoddess

WreckGoddess

• PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Board Status:Studying for Exams (May 1-15th)
  • Cert Level:Master Diver / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 03 November 2004 - 05:07 PM

You have to look out for WG, she is sleek, 

Seawitch... shhh, don't tell!!

I met this really awesome woman online you might know as WreckGoddess. I thought she was sincere and sweet, but it turned out that she was only pimping for this website and made me join the group.

Now... I would never ever pimp such a great site as SD!!!
It's not like I MADE or BLACKMAILED you into joining or anything... :anna:

But I am glad all my hard work paid off and you are now here!! Also, thanks for all of the awesome advice.. and I know we will definately get a chance to dive or meet up while we are all down in FL!!
"If you gave me several million years, there would be nothing that did not grow in beauty if it were surrounded by water."
~JAN ERIK VOLD, What All The World Knows, 1970~

Check out the next NOVA/DC/MD Happy Hour/Or Local Event

#13 donbadabon

donbadabon

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water. Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:23

Posted 03 November 2004 - 08:52 PM

I am so jealous! I wish I could go, but having just started the new job, I have zero hours of vacation. :birthday:

So make sure you log ALL the trip details. If I can't go, I would like to live vicariously through you!

#14 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 05 November 2004 - 02:01 AM

Unfortunately, I've been indoctrinated into the GUE/DIR camp and I'm trying to break free. I might need a support group!

Trace, whats wrong with the GUE/DIR camp? Do they have a big group in Pa?

#15 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:19 PM

Unfortunately, I've been indoctrinated into the GUE/DIR camp and I'm trying to break free. I might need a support group!

Trace, whats wrong with the GUE/DIR camp? Do they have a big group in Pa?

Vinny,

I've loved the joy of SCUBA diving for the past 23 years, but I've spent the past three years training, training, training, and not doing anything on purpose that would look bad on video or to another team mate. If you are a GUE instructor or you are diving with a tight group of DIR divers that know your skill strengths and weaknesses you can "play" without criticism. But, if you are diving with a new team member or members, things tend to be like the movie "Office Space" where if you make a mistake (intentional or not) you'll hear about it at least 8 times and it will get back to your GUE instructor before close of business the next day.

You know what I did last weekend? Sssh... come closer... ::whispering:: I kneeled down on a platform. It was soooo much fun! I haven't kneeled underwater in three years! At first, I felt bad & dirty, but it was great! I'm known for having enviable trim so this was like skipping class to smoke in the boys' room at a Catholic school while reading Playboy. At least I'm guessing that was what it was like. Unfortunately for me, I attended a public high school, never smoked and actually respected women for more than just their looks. It's just that type of stupid behavior that will find you taking Tech 1. :2cool:

Because Bob Sherwood is in Vestal, NY (GUE DIR-F/Rec Triox/Tech 1 instructor), we have a really large DIR group in PA, NY, NJ, CT, and MA. RI is still one of my favorite states in which to dive & I don't know any DIR guys there. :P

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users