• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY!!! 2014-05/06: DOMINICA!!! SAVE THE DATES!! May 24-31 AND May 31-Jun 7, 2014

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,489 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Posted Image

Sign up for notification for when this trip opens for bookings and early booking specials by posting in this thread/topic:

Its official! We are heading back to AMAZING Dominica* for 2 weeks again next year! So save the dates!!!

You'll have 2 choices...

May 24-31, 2014
and/or
May 31 - Jun 7, 2014

And we'll have an air contract again for approx $260 SXM to DOM round trip so you can fly into Dominica via Liat on your own or use our charter flight from SXM (Saint Marteen)**
Come join us for the MOST AMAZING DIVING IN THIS HEMISPHERE!!!*

*Please remember if it were easy to get there...it would look like the rest of the Caribbean! (SEE WHO SHOULD DIVE DOMINICA BELOW!)

** Flight Info: If you use our charter flight via BVI Airways it will leave SXM around 5pm reaching Dominica about 6pm on Sat the 24th or Sat the 31st. The return will be around 11:30am leaving Dominica and arriving SXM around 12:30pm on Sat the 31st or the 7th. NOTE: Please give yourself 2 hrs and no less than 1hr45min to arrive in San Marteen or to depart from SXM, to clear customs, collect your bags, go to the BVI ticket counter, pay your departure tax of $10 if transiting thru, clear customs again, go thru TSA and then reach the boarding gate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey gang...after an amazing week in Dominica I'm looking at doing another back to back trip here again next year. If we do the same dates... May 24-31, 2014 and May 31- Jun 7, 2014 we can cover the Memorial Day Holiday and some special birthdays in the house!

So what do you all think? Dominica for May and June again next year???

And how many people would be interested in a fall trip to Dominica? I *may* be able to negotiate a special rate so we don't have to pay the full high season rate.

Let's hear your thoughts... :thankyou:/>

THOSE INTERESTED IN BEING ON THE NOTIFY LIST:

BOTH WEEKS:

1. Kamala aka WreckWench - Both Weeks
2. Larry aka Orcaman - Both Weeks
3. Landon aka Landlubber - Both Weeks
4. Kathy aka little mermaid - Both Weeks
5. Donald aka Regulator - Both Weeks
6. Hughes aka barilhu - Both Weeks

1ST WEEK:
1. Traci aka sqbagal - 1st week (plus friends if possible)
2. Jose aka jesterdiver - 1st week
3. George aka georoc01 - 1st week
4. Beetle Bailey - 1st week
5. Gywn aka gmk - Either week
6. Carla aka rkymtwy
7. Sissy aka ScubaSis - 1st week
8. Susan aka resqdew - 1st week
9. George aka georoc01 - 1st week
10. Leslie aka SharkLover - 1st week
11. Andrew aka Diver666 - 1st week
12. Beth aka Bubbles - 1st week
13. Kathy aka little mermaid - possibly both weeks
14. Charlie aka Charlie J - 1st week
15. Matt aka Rumblebee - 1st week
16. Richard aka ScubaVazz - 1st week
17. Greg aka Diveaholic + Christine - 1st week
18. Ryan aka OzarkDiveMaster
19. Bogumil aka Bogie
20. Tricia aka Diveps
21. Donna aka Scuba Donna
22. Dennis aka YogaDive

2ND WEEK:
1. Tim aka BuzoGuero - 2nd week (plus family if possible)
2. Susi aka CoralReefer - 2nd week
3. Amy aka Amy05dives - 2nd week
4. Jill aka Scubawookie - 2nd week
5. Liz aka Liz18 - 2nd week :welcome:/>
6. Tim aka Buckeyediver - 2nd week
7. Suzy aka DiviDivaDiver - 2nd week
8. Butch aka CajunDiver - 2nd week
9. Scott aka Starshark12003 - 2nd week

NOVEMBER:
1. Mike aka ScubaTurtle
2. Susi aka Coralreefer
3. KevinG58

NO PREFERENCE:
1. Buzz aka AirHead

HELP! HOW DO I DECIDE BETWEEN THIS TRIP AND THE OTHER GREAT TRIPS YOU ARE RUNNING???

Welcome! We are glad you found us! I may be able to help you decide.

1. If you are looking at the Bonaire trip, it will be the last scheduled trip we are planning. (If we have a tremendous turnout and people beg us to run another one then we may offer it again...but after 8 years we need to explore other venues!) YES Bonaire is that great that we've done it 8 years in a row!

2. The Dominica trip is only on year 3 so we expect to run it at least 2-3 more times before people lose interest.

Why Dominica is NOT for new divers....(in my opinion)

1. If you dive the top rated destination in the Caribbean first then you have nothing to look forward too when you dive other places.
2. If you are a new diver then you are typically a new traveler as well. Traveling to Dominica is not always easy but is easily offset by the AMAZING diving. The saying..."If it were easy to get here it would look like the rest of the caribbean" is very very true. However without being a bit travel savvy and understanding that bags may not arrive for a day or two since the planes are sooooooooo small, you will end up with people upset. That is why I target my experienced divers...they have enough diving and travel savvy and experience to recognize how pristine this diving is and THAT offsets just about every issue encountered trying to get there.
3. If you are new diver the boat can not go to the most amazing sites that are in the Atlantic...the sponges are so big a full grown man can lie inside of them, There are big animals and huge schools of fish...but if there are new divers the boat will not go to these sites in case of current.
4. While the diving is super easy along the leeward side of the island and those sites are still pristine compared to other islands, they are limited so if you have new divers you have to start repeating sites since the number of sites that are perfect for new divers is limited in number.

So save Dominica for when you are tired of the rest of the Caribbean and for when you are ok with travel delays and glitches trying to get to a very small tiny island. If the former is true...then you'll blow off the latter when you see how amazing Dominica is.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Dive Con, ANDI Tech Safe Air
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

Totally IN for May next year! Posted ImagePosted Image
Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

#3 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Dive Con, ANDI Tech Safe Air
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

So excited, I posted it TWICE! MAY, baby!!

Edited by Sqbagal, 01 June 2013 - 11:24 PM.

Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

#4 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

Could probably do one of the earlier weeks, between Truk & Little Cayman. Will need to check kids' calendars. Would love to get there.

#5 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Definitely would like to go in 2014, looks like a great place.

#6 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

Dominica is way up on the"to do list". I definitely want go, it'll just be a matter of it's proximity to another way up on the "to do list" trip, Holbox. So many destinations so little vacation time :lmao:/>! If Holbox is over July 4th weekend, essentially a month later, than I'll have to choose one or the other :tears:/>.

#7 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

Dominica is way up on the"to do list". I definitely want go, it'll just be a matter of it's proximity to another way up on the "to do list" trip, Holbox. So many destinations so little vacation time Posted Image/>! If Holbox is over July 4th weekend, essentially a month later, than I'll have to choose one or the other Posted Image/>.

Not that I'll make any difference, Jose. However, I'm going to do this (hopefully), along with Little Cayman for my Caribbean trips in 2014. It just works better for me with Truk & Galapagos, than Holbox does. Another time on that one, for me. Just a heads up.

#8 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

For me, its between this and Bonaire. I probably won't do both. The challenge with Dominica has always been getting there.

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,489 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

FYI...

For the foreseeable future I will be offering Dominica annually. (Yes I :wub: it that much!) Best of Mexico aka Holbox is offered every 2 years IF we fill the trip. Bonaire is slated for our final trip in 2014...unless a new marketing program with the resort fills add'l trips and we'll reconsider.

When a place is hard to get too...it means hardly anyone goes. When hardly anyone goes it means the diving remains relatively untouched. And while nothing remains pristine and untouched forever...you'll want to see this 'Jacques Cousteau' diving before the opportunity is lost like many other diving venues.

The hardest part is that we offer LOTS of amazing trips...we just need more people to fill them and we can offer more!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#10 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

Only makes my choice harder brother!

Dominica is way up on the"to do list". I definitely want go, it'll just be a matter of it's proximity to another way up on the "to do list" trip, Holbox. So many destinations so little vacation time Posted Image/>! If Holbox is over July 4th weekend, essentially a month later, than I'll have to choose one or the other Posted Image/>.

Not that I'll make any difference, Jose. However, I'm going to do this (hopefully), along with Little Cayman for my Caribbean trips in 2014. It just works better for me with Truk & Galapagos, than Holbox does. Another time on that one, for me. Just a heads up.

#11 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

A challenge it is, but what truly great adventures aren't! The photos, trip reports, and articles I've read about Dominica are amazing, I want to dive it while it's still pristine!

For me, its between this and Bonaire. I probably won't do both. The challenge with Dominica has always been getting there.

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,489 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

What no Chez J????

formerly...

#13 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

A challenge it is, but what truly great adventures aren't! The photos, trip reports, and articles I've read about Dominica are amazing, I want to dive it while it's still pristine!

But here is a question. Right now for me the cost of flights and length of travel time to get to Dominica is similar to Palau. Maybe between now and then there will be alternate options, but would you say the diving in Dominica is superior to Palau?

#14 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

What no Chez J????

If he can't make it, we'll adjust! Posted Image

I do hope you can make it, though...

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,489 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:26 AM

George the flights to DOM from SXM are $250 round trip via SD.com. Now you need to shop sales to SXM and that does go up and down. My ticket there was less than Bonaire so its just bad timing. What are you finding?

However Bonaire is great and as you say an 'easier' flight. Sometimes easy is better!

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users