• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2 members... 2 different incidents... one outcome

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#46 Dave L

Dave L

People are starting to get to know me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Nitrox/Decompression
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

One of the reasons I'd like to keep this thread going is if other people who have been down this road could offer their insight to their event we could all learn the ins and outs of dive incidents. The personal information is really helpful to others. From a lot of prior reading on my part I had a reasonable idea of what was happening and what was to happen but it never really prepared me for the actual event. I think knowing a little bit about the process helped me not to panic or get upset. I felt pretty calm the whole time. However, I was in no pain and that could have really changed my perspective on it.

Dave

#47 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

I know this has been discussed in the past but I thought of it again after renewing my annual dive insurance. I've renewed with Dive Assure and they sent an email. As already discussed earlier in this topic they note to CALL LOCAL EMS first, only then follow up with them for further plans/instructions. The important part is to start care for the person affected. In terms of evacuation from remote places I think a call to the insurance might be the only way to arrange for EMS sometimes but if there are local services available those should be the first resource.

Q: Do I need to call DiveAssure before calling local emergency services?
A: Always call local emergency services first! Call DiveAssure Emergency Services as soon as possible after first response.

#48 Dave L

Dave L

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

Just an update. I found out a helicopter ride costs $37,000. I needed to sign a release so they can bill the insurance company. My doctor cleared me for driving my car. No real issues there. I've been trying the two stability tests I kept flunking at the hospital and am able to do them okay. We will see if they are good enough. I'll go back up to Penn sometime after Sept 15th to see about diving. So far so good.

I'll second Jerry for "Dive Buddy of the Year".

Dave

#49 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

Dave, I'm glad your progress is going well.I too will be renewing my Dive Insurance. Since I've been using my Veterans Insurance for some time now for any health issues.This event makes a impression & i intend to ask Dan about this kind of scenario..Since I have no other Insurance than them.This weekend I intend to ask Dan,what will the respose be to a event?Going to Gilboa ,and Daan will be there.Miss the good times inGCM.
As Scuba Turtle mentions and it has been mentioned by Kamala.Dive assure seems to be a better bet.However, I't iseems that DAN is more widely known.Corect me if I'm wrong.

Just an update. I found out a helicopter ride costs $37,000. I needed to sign a release so they can bill the insurance company. My doctor cleared me for driving my car. No real issues there. I've been trying the two stability tests I kept flunking at the hospital and am able to do them okay. We will see if they are good enough. I'll go back up to Penn sometime after Sept 15th to see about diving. So far so good.

I'll second Jerry for "Dive Buddy of the Year".

Dave

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#50 Dave L

Dave L

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

Greg,

I'd want to have at least one dive insurance policy, especially if I am traveling. I used to have Dive Assure in addition to DAN when I was doing lots of diving around the world. Insurance is cheap compared to some of the expenses, ala' helicopter rides.

Dave

#51 Dave L

Dave L

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Just an update.....I'm scheduled to go back to Penn next Tuesday, the 24th, to get evaluated to see if I can resume diving. I've gotten to talk to two other people that have been down this road. One got hit in May and did 6 rides in the chamber at Duke. His hit seemed to be more severe than mine. The other diver is diving in Truk at the moment on a two week trip. So, she gave me a lot of hope that I can resume. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for listening.

Dave
  • WreckWench and scubaclint like this

#52 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

Great to hear things are going well. Hope you get the all clear for future diving!

#53 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

:cheerleader:

More :pray: coming your way!!! :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#54 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

Going to Dutch Springs tomorrow to tune up for Roatan and this thread has definitely reminded me to have all my contingency plans ready and my DAN/Diveassure cards with me!

#55 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

Not sure how this thread got by me. Must've been while I was transitioning back to reality. 1st & foremost, Dave, I am so happy that things seem to be headed in the right direction for you. Thanks to all for your input & candor. Quality exchange. As always, the more I think I know, the less I actually do. A scary example of how, no matter your attention to detail & planning, or familiarity with a dive site, things can always go sideways. Kudos, Jerry, for your execution. I look forward to getting to know you better. Kamala, as usual, you are relentless in your betterment of our sport. Of course, you are completely dialed in on this situation. We are always here for you to vent. I now understand our conversations regarding DAN in T&C a little better. You are a true professional.

Dave, all the best in your recovery. I wish you many years of continued enjoyment in diving. Keep it slow, for now, bruddah!

Best.

#56 Dave L

Dave L

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Well, the good news is I can dive again. However, and there are several howevers, I have to wait 6 months to get back in the water. Apparently my hit was a lot more serious than I really appreciated. Anytime you get a bubble in the head it gets pretty serious. Mine was in my inner left ear. So following Navy and dive industry standards in hyperbaric medicine I have to wait 6 months. No real problem, better than not being able to dive at all. I'll probably be limited to 100ft which will play havoc with Jersey Wreck Diving, but again, better than not diving at all. I have to go back to Penn in March 2014 to get a final okay.

I'll post more when I sort out all I was told. Thanks for all the good wishes.
Dave
  • scubaclint and like this

#57 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

Well, the good news is I can dive again. However, and there are several howevers, I have to wait 6 months to get back in the water. Apparently my hit was a lot more serious than I really appreciated. Anytime you get a bubble in the head it gets pretty serious. Mine was in my inner left ear. So following Navy and dive industry standards in hyperbaric medicine I have to wait 6 months. No real problem, better than not being able to dive at all. I'll probably be limited to 100ft which will play havoc with Jersey Wreck Diving, but again, better than not diving at all. I have to go back to Penn in March 2014 to get a final okay.

Dave

Outstanding!!!!! Thanks again for letting us ride along with your case.
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#58 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

I've never met you in person Dave but I am super happy to hear that you will recover enough to dive again. Posted Image

I'm sure with some more time and experience you will be able to extend your diving beyond the 100ft limit if you needed to. Keep us all in the loop. It's a great learning experience for us all. Posted Image

#59 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

NICE!!! Patience, grasshopper.....

WOOT, WOOT!!!

Posted Image

Dave

#60 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

:clapping:/> Dave, fabulous news.... 6 months is not that long in the grand scheme of things. This too shall pass. Best of luck on your first dive!!! :diver:/>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users