• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The perils of living in the sticks? When all you can eat AIN'T true...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

So I come back from doing 3 trips in a row AND recovering from the death of my mother-in-law and all the assorted and asundry aspects of dealing with that aftermath. Its Aug 2nd and I'm REALLY ready to knock out some work and get caught up AND launch some really cool things in August for SD.com.

Instead I find my phone disconnected. I call to see if there is a problem with my payment source and for over an hour I get the run around about my account and the bottom line is as follows:

1. I've had my plan for over 4 years
2. I've paid nearly $250 a month for over 4 years for unlimited voice, text and data
3. I have to use the local regional carrier (Alltel) because the big boys (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint) do not offer coverage in the sticks where I live.
4. I live 1/4 of a mile from the Alltel tower.
5. I travel for a living
6. I use my unlimited wifi card for all my internet access UNLESS I am out of the country or I can get free wifi.

So suddenly Alltel tells me that they have cancelled both my voice and data accounts with them and that I need to find another carrier. I ask why and I'm told "You use too much data" . "You are always roaming even when you are in SC" (remember the part about being 1/4mile from an Alltel tower?). "AT&T is going to be buying us so we culling all the undesirable accounts of which you are one."

And guess what? Not only can they do it and they did...there appears to be no reprecussions for canceling my account. :taz:/>

So for last week and half I've been trying to use wifi in OTWDiver's dive shop which is very small and very busy during the summer (No Starbucks or internet cafe's around here for at least 60 miles) AND I've been trying to get phone service since my celfone is also the business number.

I spend countless HOURS trying to get phone service connected and I finally find a workable solution with the same carrier via my husband's account ONLY to find out that they set up my new account with the WRONG NUMBER. Instead of 6079 they set up 6709. I was told my old phone would work until the 13th and my data would work until the 13th. The phone did...the data did not. All my numbers were in my old phone...(they could not transfer them to the new phone) so I just tossed the new one on the table and continued to use the old one. Then yesterday I go to make a call and the phone is disconnected a day early. I grab the new phone and it works but I'm getting calls from people telling me my number has been disconnected. That is when I figure out they set up the wrong number in the new phone.

So I spend 45 min driving to the cellular store to be there at 9m only to find out they don't open until 10am. I run a few more errands and get back 10 mins to 10. Thank goodness I did...I see the tech who USUALLY helps me and he says... "you only come by when there is an issue". I said "yep you know me to well". He says "ok come on in...I'll open up a few mins early". I go in and start to tell him the problem and 4 people come in after me. Then another 4 and another 2 when I leave the store there are 10-12 people in line waiting to be helped by 1 person. YIKES!!!

Then I find out he can't fix it and he has to get his ops mngr to call a higher level ops mngr to get this fixed. 3 hrs later I get the call to try and initiate my phone...it works and I have service again. He then tells me the bill will look like an explosion happened but "don't worry as they will fix the credits etc since they screwed up in the first place". (Ya think???)

So now I have the business number back in service and I have a phone that ONLY does voice and text, BUT I do not have an internet solution yet...other then trying to be a sardine in OTWDiver's dive shop and use his wireless.

So two things....

1. I apologize for NOT getting things done that I have been promising to have done in August... I am still severely limping along trying to have sustained internet access someplace I can sit and not have severe back aches. :(

and

2. To help keep my sanity lets play "Guess which b-rated sci-fi/horror flick this scenario from hell has been taken from:

a. "The Perils of Living in the Sticks" or "Rural High Tech Robbery"
b. "And you just THOUGHT 'unlimited data' REALLY meant 'unlimited data'....SUCKER!!!
c. "Proof Positive that service and customer service is TRULY DEAD..in other words your account can be canceled at ANY TIME!"

So which one do you think best applies??? :banghead:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

I'll go with... a. "The Perils of Living in the Sticks" or "Rural High Tech Robbery".

Sending hugs. :hugs:/> :hugs:/>

Clint

#3 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

I spend too much time on line

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

WOW :o/> - might be worth filing a complaint with the FCC
  • Scubatooth likes this

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#4 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

WOW!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Good service is so rare!! Amazing isn't it. Well the good news is that you will now be with AT&T. That should go well!!!!

Fortunately we get good service from SD.com!!!

F
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#5 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:43 AM

c.
Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:27 AM

WOW :o/>/> - might be worth filing a complaint with the FCC

I have thought about that A LOT...and I probably will. I'm just worried if I do it now since I'm under my husband's account that they may retaliate against him and yes that is highly likely given the overall corrupt world we live in. If they can do this...they can easily do that. :taz:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:30 AM

WOW!!! :banghead:/> :banghead:/> :banghead:/> :banghead:/> :banghead:/> :banghead:/> :banghead:/> :banghead:/>
:angry:/> :angry:/> :angry:/> :angry:/> :angry:/> :angry:/> :angry:/>

Good service is so rare!! Amazing isn't it. Well the good news is that you will now be with AT&T. That should go well!!!!

Fortunately we get good service from SD.com!!!

F

I had no issues with AT&T when I lived in Dallas...but living in the sticks is an entirely different issue. :(

Thank you for the complement Fred...we try VERY hard to provide good service to our members and ALL our volunteers feel the same way or else they would never work so hard to help like they do. :respect: :respect: :respect:

formerly...

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:37 AM

Sidebar:

Well its coming up on a day with the new phone and I can FINALLY answer a call without disconnecting it first. I still can't find a easy way to access the call logs but it has a great shortcut to the camera...yeah I'm gonna need that frequently! And the good stuff seems to be buried so deep in the phone. I can't find a widget to bring frequently used stuff to the service nor can I chg the background picture. (Heck the screen is so small I probably couldn't see the picture I loaded onto it anyway.)

About the only upside is I've discovered it has voice command capability but my husband's name is now Bill Roth like the Roth IRA vs Routh like Baby Ruth. So maybe I need to list him in my phone as "Hubby" or "Lover" or something else so I don't have to mispronounce his name to use the voice commands.

Any ideas????

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users