• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

SERIOUS Raja Ampat Discussion Thread NOW SET FOR 2016

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

Let me give some assistance to the Wench, and some back ground for what she's going through. As some of you are aware, the 'good' boats in Raja Ampat tend to be booked years in advance. So while Kamala is negotiating with an operator, there are dive clubs from all over the world trying to book the same boat. Almost all of the boats are priced in Curos, which necessitates varying exchange rates during the payment period from booking to final payment, and how this will be priced to you. Add to this, many of these boats only do the RA area for a limited time period each year due to weather conditions, and club/diver demand to do Lembeh/Bunaken, Komodo, Bali, Ambon, Triton Bay, Cendarwasih Bay and all areas in between of Indonesia.

My first trip to RA was land based to Misool, after the SD trip to Wakatobi, Oct. 2008. The resort was brand new, I was lucky enough to be one of the first guests, and spent the last 2 days of SI, looking out at Fiabacet [an island dive site in front of the resort] plotting my return. My initial contact to the resort owner was Dec. 2007, they had just begun construction on the guest huts. My last trip to Indo, I spent 9 days in Lembeh [land based], boarded a boat dived for 4 days, en route to RA starting in the south [Misool] where we spent 3 days before, transiting north for the last 3 days. I left that boat, and boarded the boat at the next mooring in Sorong harbor, for another 11 day tour of RA, both north & south. I dived some of the same sites on both boats, at 'Manta Sandy', on the first boat I did 2- 70 min dives at 50' and saw reef mantas glide through the cleaning station almost constantly. On the second boat 2- DIVES NO MANTAS, but I looked around the site and found a walking shark sleeping under a coral head. You will see the other boats during an RA trip, I counted 8 in one day in the Misool area.

My suggestion, go for as long as you can, but no shorter than 10 days, but you may find yourself longing to return, regardless. I'm sure Kamala is working diligently to book this trip. Booking the boat is just the beginning of the journey, just wait for the complications of making connecting flights to Sorong, ending with the 24 hours of 'seat time' prior to your arrival.

Edited by ScubaTex, 19 May 2014 - 10:46 PM.

• WreckWench and Elias like this

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#62 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:50 AM

Thanks Bill! Great insight!

I guess its just another way of saying that the best things in life are worth working for. :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#63 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

Thanks Bill! Great insight!

I guess its just another way of saying that the best things in life are worth working for. :wakawaka:/>/>/>/>

In the case of the mantas - Here today :cool1: gone tomorrow :banghead:

Edited by ScubaTex, 20 May 2014 - 08:07 AM.

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#64 Elias

Elias

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor / Trimix / Sidemount / Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:800+

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

Land based or liveaboard?

From what I understand, if you're serious about diving, the only way to experience Raja Ampat is via live aboard. Posted Image

Wicked diving has a Raja Ampat liveaboard. They are priced pretty good. I am not sure how comfortable it is.... but $1690 for 6 nights and 7 days on a Raja Ampat liveaboard.. thats half as much as others are charging... They only book 14 people per trip... http://wickeddiving....board/#included

I'm making a short trip on The Jaya (Wicked Divings' boat) in a couple of weeks, when I'm in Komodo. This was a last minute add-on to my Komodo trip, mainly to check out the boat in preparation for a three week expedition aboard the vessel in the second half of October, when it transitions from Komodo to Raja Ampat through the Banda Sea. While probably not up to par for SD trips, I will let you know about the boat in general for your own reference.

Kamala, consider me very interested in any RA trip you put together. Depending on the timing, I may join you for an adjacent week of diving on the way to Raja Ampat -- in Bali (Nusa Lembongan), Komodo, Bunaken, Ambon / Muluccas, or Wakatobi.

#65 seashell

seashell

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW & EAN
  • Logged Dives:Lost track, more than 650 less than 850

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:38 AM

I was in Raja Ampat last year on the Dewi Nusantara. Yes, very spendy but when it was time to get off the boat, i wanted to stay for another ten days. :) so enamoured was i that intended to return this year on the Dewi Nusantara. But plans have changed. I'm booked for Carpe Vita in Maldives.

Frankly, I would do whatever it takes not to fly through Jakarta again.

#66 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Dive Con, ANDI Tech Safe Air
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

You are going to LOVE Carpe Vita! I was there in April and just OMG!! I plan to return and do 10 days next time. The diving is spectacular and the crew is beyond wonderful.
Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

#67 seashell

seashell

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:46 AM

You are going to LOVE Carpe Vita! I was there in April and just OMG!! I plan to return and do 10 days next time. The diving is spectacular and the crew is beyond wonderful.

I couldn't get on a ten day trip. :( maybe next time. Thanks so much for the encouraging words. More and more excited. As much as I feel will be missing Raja Ampat, I'm not missing the flights in and out of Sorong..

Hopefully I will get the opportunity one day to return to Raja Ampat and would love to do it on the Dewi Nusantara, but will do my best to fly to Sorong from Bali or Monado and NOT out of Jakarta.

Edited by seashell, 10 September 2014 - 03:48 AM.

#68 seashell

seashell

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:07 AM

Also, just read back a bit through this thread. Some expressed concern for gearing up and tender types. One of the things i particularly loved about Dewi Nusantara was their procedure and that their tenders are solid hull pangas not ribs. We geared up on deck but only as to wetsuits etc. lots of room on deck. Then in groups of two went down the very sturdy stairs to the tenders where our gear awaited. The crew on the tender helped us into our gear if and as necessary. Back roll entry, sturdy and comfortable ladder for re-entry. You could hand up your gear to boat boys before climbing in. Boat rides were very short.

There were fun things to do most afternoons. Kayaks for paddling around lagoons, village tours, pearl farm, the hike to see the love birds was on the schedule but weather and lowered desire saw it cancelled.

Two glasses of a very decent wine every night at dinner, all soft drinks and local beers included in the overall price. This appears to be the most generous of all the liveaboards working the area. That said, I'd happily pay less for Dewi Nusantara and pay for my own beer. ;) AND that said, since prices are going up, my hope is that they don't change their current policy in these regards.

Edited by seashell, 10 September 2014 - 04:13 AM.

#69 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

Hopefully I will get the opportunity one day to return to Raja Ampat and would love to do it on the Dewi Nusantara, but will do my best to fly to Sorong from Bali or Monado and NOT out of Jakarta.

Having made 2 trips to Raja Ampat, the problem is how to minimize lay over time and expense. There are 3 points of entry into Indonesia for international flights, Jakarta, Bali, and Monado. My first trip, I flew Bali>>Makassar>>Sorong, w/a 1 night layover in Makassar. My route got changed 2 weeks prior to leaving on my trip, the first route was Bali>>Monado>>Sorong, w/a 1 night layover in Monado. The route changed due to the airline cancelling the route from Monado>>Sorong. I have also received reports of lost bags and poor service on this route. My second trip was not a problem since I was on Mermaid II from Lembeh>>Sorong. The return flights from Sorong>>Bali, and Sorong>>Jakarta [second trip] weren't problematic [depart Sorong in the morning arrive at departure point early evening w/1 stop, Makassar, along the way], other than the hours waiting for the ticket counter to open for check-in. Check-in counters do not open until 3 hours prior to departure for your specific flight. I recommend you research & chart international flights/carriers and how they will connect with Indo domestic flights, prior to making reservations.

I have spent many hours researching Indo domestic flights, different carriers service only specific routes. Websites are set up to handle only non-stop flights, you must be able to connect the dots, or inter-connect between airlines [will your bags make it?]. The condition for making a reservation online, requires payment by credit card issued by an Indonesian bank. For both trips, I used, & recommend, Monado Safaris travel agency for domestic air and booking layover accommodation.

Sorong is not easy to get to, but after your first back roll & descent all the hassle will disappear, and as you said, at the end you won't want to leave.

#70 Kimbuddha

Kimbuddha

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:241

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:12 PM

I'm still interested for 2016 Posted Image liveaboard at least 10 days. Having never been to this area of the world I'll leave the where and when to the experts and just start putting money away after Fiji.

Edited by Kimbuddha, 11 September 2014 - 05:13 PM.

If you change the way you look at things...the things you look at change.

#71 TabeaK

TabeaK

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:03 AM

I'm interested too - have never been to Indonesia.

As far as traveling goes, Sorong can also be reached via Singapur and Kuala Lumpur for those who want to avoid Jakarta.

#72 seashell

seashell

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:08 AM

I very much enjoyed the return part of my flights and journey, flying Sorong > Makassar > Bali. Stopped in Bali for a couple days and hung out at the Laguna in Nusa Dua. Most pleasant re-entry. :) Then Bali to Singapore. All that said, the flight from Sorong to Makassar was very late departing. We were concerned we'd miss our flight to Bali but needn't have worried about that, inasmuch as that flight was VERY VERY late. But the Makassar airport is an OK place to hang out if one gets stuck.

Unfortunately, whether I like it or not, I'll still be flying in and out of Jakarta, because my father lives there. Be that as it may, I'll still do whatever I can not to have to fly to Sorong out of Jakarta. :)

Almost forgot to mention, Dewi Nusantara company booked all domestic flights. They gave me great advice and a selection of flights to choose, though out of Jakarta the selection wasn't much. The only direct flight was at midnight. Aaarrgh.

Edited by seashell, 12 September 2014 - 01:25 AM.

#73 Elias

Elias

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor / Trimix / Sidemount / Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:800+

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

Indonesia is one of my favorite countries and I'm currently making my fourth dive safari tour... Great info above, although some of the flight info is a little bit dated -- it is getting easier to book domestic flights without the use of a local travel agent.

Does anyone know what type of pangas the various providers to this area has?

I'd be happy to help with some of these details if it is still needed. A friend of mine is working on a (very nice) boat in the region and has a good knowledge of the other boats operating in the area. I will be meeting up with them in person for a night of dinner / bintangs / war stories when my imminent trip docks in Sorong in early November. Let me know what other questions you may have ...

MEMBER HELP NEEDED*:

Would anyone be interested in checking to see if they can find out if the Ordina has had the revitalization she was supposed to have in the past year or so? If not then I will pass on this boat as it was in much needed refurbishment when Bill aka ScubaTex went on it.

I have asked if Bill can reach the cruise director that used to be on the boat as he was obviously a vital part of the boat's experience and see where he is at these days. So if we can also find out more about the boat's condition...we can decide if this is a viable opportunity.

Do you still need this info, Kamala?

Wicked diving has a Raja Ampat liveaboard. They are priced pretty good. I am not sure how comfortable it is.... but $1690 for 6 nights and 7 days on a Raja Ampat liveaboard.. [...]

The Jaya is a backpacker style dive boat and many of you would not be happy with the accommodations. It was mentioned that there is no A/C, and that is certainly a deal breaker for some. I would add that the mattresses are thin, cabins small and facilities very basic otherwise. I spent a three night trip on the boat to see how she runs and considered backing out of the trip that I'm about to go on. Let me know if you want a more complete report after I spend three weeks onboard but, at this point, I can safely say that the Jaya is probably not a good option for a SD trip. It's a shame, really, because Wicked is a *great* company with really good staff.

Cheers,
Elias

PS - If no contract has been worked out yet, then I'd /strongly/ suggest pushing this trip to the 15/16 season... It's a really long way to go and an expensive trip any way you cut it -- Let's do this one right. ;)

Edited by Elias, 13 October 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#74 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:02 PM

RAJ AMPAT UPDATE:

Hey gang... we have locked in two back to back trips to Raj Ampat in Jan/Feb 2016 on Dive Damai. I will be getting dates and details posted soon in a "SAVE THE DATE" thread/topic but this is going to happen! And I am THRILLED!!! This will be the first trip to this area myself. Oh by the way...Dive Damai is the PHOTOGRAPHER'S DREAM BOAT!!! We will be on the NEW boat for both trips... details coming soon!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#75 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

Thanks Elias...you must of been reading my mind! :respect:

I am super excited about our plans which I will spill the full beans on VERY SOON! ;)

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users