• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Larry Elsevier VP Sales & Marketing Cochran & True Friend

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

April 24th Larry Elsevier VP of Sales and Marketing for Cochran Computers our first corporate sponsor and industry friend died unexpectedly due to complications from a heart blockage.

I lost my best friend in the dive industry and a truly great man on every level. :tears:

Words can not express the loss I personally feel nor the loss that our industry will suffer without this great man making it better for all of us. A huge void has been created that like a black hole will never be filled.

Larry personally believed in SingleDivers.com back in our infancy and helped to not only convince his company to do great things for us but other companies as well. On a personal track Larry assisted the Hyperbarics Industry and was a leader in bringing home oxygen therapy or Home Hyperbarics to people like you and I...and not just movie stars and athletes. He founded Elsevier Hyperbarics and OTWDiver and I will do everything in our ability to not only keep Elsevier Hyperbarics alive and well but to help every person we can thru its mission of healing thru the power of oxygen.

Although I must put aside my pain and anguish this week while leading our SD trip to Bonaire, in private my heart is breaking and the world is crushing my spirit as I and his family endure such a needless and senseless loss of such a wonderful friend and amazing human being both personally and professionally.

His passing is a horrific loss to all who knew him. And humanity has lost a great soul.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

I was lucky to meet Larry while helping Kamala at her DEMA booth a few years ago as well as the rollicking Happy Hour that weekend. I recall a moving toast Larry made in honor of Kamala and Singledivers.com that evening, you could feel the sincerity and earnestness in his heart as he shared his wonderful observations about their friendship and how he had witnessed SingleDivers.com's growth in the dive community and Kamala's Blessings in life.

Larry impressed me as a truly selfless soul who was always on the lookout for how he could help not only Kamala but others he "adopted" in the industry. Godspeed my friend, I feel honored to have known you even this briefly.

• WreckWench likes this
Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#3 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

Although I had no personal relationship with Larry. Many times Kamala had recounted stories of Larry and how he stood by her as Singledivers.com grew over the years. I remember once asking Kamala, "what's with this chamber and literature about dive computers all over your convention table (BTS), being in sales I know that this distracts the consumer and and shifts focus away from the singledivers message". All she said was, "it's for Larry and he's a great guy". Somehow with just those few words, I knew he must be one heck of a great person! I could see it in her eyes.

I feel like I've said too often these last several months how sorry I am for your loss Kamala. I won't pretend to know how you feel. All I can say is that you are loved by many, including me, and we stand by you if you need anything. Obviously, Larry made a huge impact on you, others, and it seems like the world. That's more than most any of us will ever be able to say. In that respect, his presence is unending.

My heart breaks for you.

• WreckWench likes this

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

In the privacy of my thoughts and emotions I am deeply touched by the prayers and good thoughts you've sent me via email, the forums and facebook. :thankyou:/>

It will take an inordinate amount of time to recover from the personal losses I've experienced since the beginning of the year of several family members and now the loss of two of my heroes in the month of April... Larry Elsevier our first SingleDivers.com supporter and corporate partner and Bobby Cox my NC boat capt and 20 year friend.

I know life is not fair and its foolish to think it is but at times it is exceptionally cruel and right now I am feeling that cruelty cutting thru my spirit and my soul slowly draining away the joy and bliss that I had hoped the 10 year anniversary of my baby SingleDivers.com would bring.

Larry has been with me for all ten years of our SingleDivers.com journey until this week. And Bobby has been with me for 20 years which includes all of SingleDivers.com and all of RedWet&Blue Diving ...my first diving adventure.

My two dearest friends...my two personal heroes and my two biggest supporters...gone in the span of 20 days...April 4th and April 24th will always be the saddest and darkest days for me forever.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,744 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

:(/> It is with a heavy heart that I send my condolences to Kamala and the dive community as a whole. I spent many hours with Larry at Kamala's booth at the dive shows - he always seemed to be right next to the SD booth. His presence made the dive shows lots of fun and convinced me to buy one of his Cochran computers!!! He was a very quality man, looked out for the dive community and this is truly a sad loss for all.

It still is on my bucket list to do the NC trip, very sad for that loss also. Sending lots of hugs to you, until I see you next month. Thoughts and prayers also headed your direction.

• WreckWench likes this

#6 TabeaK

TabeaK

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:03 AM

Kamala, being a new member I have never met either, but your way of talking about them reveals your attachment. You have my sincerest condolences and I grieve with you.

You are in my thoughts, I am so sorry that you have experienced these losses! Just know, that what you are doing makes a lot of people incredible happy, including me! :thankyou:/>

I'll leave you with a quote that seems to be aptly fitting right now:

True strength is keeping everything together when everyone expects you to fall apart.

And you are possibly one of the strongest people I've ever met.
  • WreckWench likes this

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

Kathy and Jen... :thankyou:

formerly...

#8 Dave L

Dave L

People are starting to get to know me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Nitrox/Decompression
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

Saw this. Just can't believe it. Met him at the Baltimore Dive show and BTS. A truly nice person. He will be missed.

Dave
  • WreckWench likes this

#9 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

I met larry many years ago when I was first getting started in diving. He came into the local shop that I frequented and was very very approachable and answered all the questions my dad and I had about the computers without sales pitch. It was that customer service that made me get a cochran computer over other brands.

Later on in my diving when I got a internship with Divers Alert Network, Larry and Cochran were my biggest sponsors. They provided me with two dozen of there DDR-200 data recorders as well as the full version of the analyst software to fully test and try out the latest version they had released. During my DAN internship I was able to test the software to the limit, which inturn made the software more reliable and usable for the average diver. As a thank you and Larry's insistence for the testing I had done for them my personal cochran dive computer was upgraded and was given a EMC-20H as well.

After my internship I got more and more involved in the dive industry with going to more and more events, trade shows etc. At every event it seemed I would run into Larry and we would chat about dive medicine and hyperbarics. Larry knew I was a paramedic with a deep interest in hyperbaric medicine and wanted to get my DMT. Kamala if there is anything I can do to help with Elsevier hyperbarics let me know.

I was saddened to see Larry's passing as the diving community is loosing one amazing teacher and innovator in our small community.... He will be greatly missed.

Edited by Scubatooth, 29 April 2014 - 07:34 AM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

Kamala if there is anything I can do to help with Elsevier hyperbarics let me know.

Dan I will need all the help I can get to ensure that we keep Larry and his dream of personal oxygen therapy aka personal HBO alive and available to EVERYONE!!!

I will take you up on the that offer and those of anyone else. We must not let his dream die even if his body has passed from this earth.

OTWDiver is in 100% support as well.

formerly...

#11 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

I only knew Larry a short time. We spent maybe 6 days together, total. He was a kind & gentle soul. I missed a call from him the day before he passed. Sorry I haven't been around as much, lately. Like everyone else, life is dealing me plenty of challenges, at the moment. Kamala, as always, I am here for you in any way that I can be, in support of your loss, as well as Larry's vision.

Larry Elsevier R.I.P.

Posted Image

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:53 PM

Tim my heart goes out to you with the struggles you are facing. Thank you for the kind words and please know that if there is anything I can do for you...the offer works both ways!

As I mentioned before I will accept all offers to help share Larry's Vision for portable, personal and affordable HBO or Hyperbarics.

:thankyou:

formerly...

#13 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

I have met Larry several times but last month at BTS I spent several hours with him at the Happy Hour and various times throughout the show. Larry gave me the book on Oxygen therapy to give to a severely wounded veteran I know. I am absolutly stunned at the news of his passing. God speed my friend. :tears:/>

Edited by Jerrymxz, 30 April 2014 - 04:09 PM.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

I have met Larry several times but last month at BTS I spent several hours with him at the Happy Hour and various times throughout the show. Larry gave me the book on Oxygen therapy to give to a severely wounded veteran I know. I am absolutly stunned at the news of his passing. God speed my friend. :tears:

If he had a dollar in his pocket he would give it away if someone needed it. If he had a shirt on his back he would give that to you as well.

He personally paid retail for those books so he could give them to people in need. They can and will positively change the lives of those who read them. (I will set up an ordering link as soon as I can so that any small referral fee can be used to buy free books for those in need.)

We will figure out how to continue his mission... that of bringing safe, inexpensive oxygen therapy to people.

Our culture realizes that there is no profit in dead or cured so the goal is to keep you in between the two extremes. Oxygen cures...plain and simple without being invasive and its cheap. So to keep it 'mysterious and hidden' we insist that you have to have a prescription to get it and we grossly limit the ailments that we will acknowledge that 02 is the 'go to' treatment for. We recognize 13 modalities... Europe recognizes 60. Larry wanted to bring the power of 02 to everyone he could. We will do everything we can to continue his mission.

formerly...

#15 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:53 PM

I’ve just reread this and again I'm stunned that I missed the passing of Bobby Cox in the last post. I loved the SD trip to NC even when I lived there. The diving was standard NC fair but it was special with all the SD peeps on the diver down. I know of WW's connection with Bobby and the special place he had is her and Bills hearts. Kamala and Bill have lost two huge friends and the rest of us in the SD minions have lost two great supporters of our affliction. They both will be missed by those who knew them and I’ll say a special prayer for them and their families on their passing.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users