• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

A partner in the 'Truest Sense'...My Dear Friend & Reason for SD

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

Bobby Cox owner and captain of the Diver Down died April 4th which will be one of the blackest days for me ever in my life. Bobby helped me to love diving when I first got certified and he helped me to love NC Wreck and Shark diving like no other...for there was no other like him. He was a diver first and foremost so he made decisions like a diver would and not a business owner. He was an amazing mechanic so his boat ran better than most and the engines were always so clean so he could immediately detect a problem if one were to arise. And he saved my life during a severe diving incident (actually twice) and I promised to repay him for it. The joke was 'get me back on the boat safely and I'll make you a lot of money one day'. After saying that for a couple of years he busted me saying he had heard that idle threat for a couple of years now. This time he was joking but I was not. I started Red Wet and Blue diving to repay my debt and out of that SingleDivers.com was born. And while you NEVER make a lot of money in diving... its a lifestyle like being a 'skibum'... you live to dive; I certainly made every effort to bring him as much business as I could as my way of thanking him. In the early days that was a partial charter every weekend. After I moved to Texas it was 6 charters a year from Memorial Day to October. And then 1-2 a year for a number of years until sadly we had saturated the market and I was having to alternate years.

I had all my 'firsts' in diving with Bobby. And as mentioned earlier by others...Bill my husband and I are tied to Bobby forever as Bill proposed to me on my favorite wreck in NC on the Diver Down.

Bobby helped SingleDivers.com get off the ground in so many ways. I've lost a personal friend, mentor and one of my heroes of over 20 years unexpectedly and far too young. April will be a very dark time for me for many years to come. Part of me died when Bobby died and he was followed by the death of my best friend and my other hero in the industry Larry Elsevier.

SingleDivers.com would not be here if it weren't for Bobby Cox. Bobby may you always have the wind at your back and smooth sailing. And when it gets a bit rough even upstairs... just stick your nose out and see what its really like. Like you discovered here on earth...it was usually fine and we'd have a great day diving. And say hi to Roy Cowan for me....that rascal left us too early as well but as Kim said...you two will be diving together as soon as they get you all checked into your new home. ;)

Bill and I love you and we will miss you terribly along with your beautiful and lovely wife Brenda. :tears:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users