• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Baggage Allowances & Extra Bag Fees & SPORT ALLOWANCE

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

Hey gang...its time to think about what you are taking on this trip and if you will be buying the $100 diving/sport pkg for an extra bag. (Note this allowance is only available for passengers who got their air via our air contract).

Baggage Allowances:

• 1 piece @50 pounds - no charge
  • 2nd piece @ 50 pounds $120 USD
  • any piece over 50 pounds is an additional $50 USD 
  • carry on limited to 15 pounds
  • one personal item allowed such as a purse or laptop

$100 Sport/Diving Baggage Package:

You can buy a 2nd 50# bag for $50 each way or $100 roundtrip if prepaid no later than 2 weeks in advance prior to the main group departure which is Mar 1st. So the deadline is Feb 14, 2015.

Q&A:

1.  Do they really weigh the carry on? I know they do when they fly to the smaller islands but what about just going to Nadi? If the flight is getting full, they do start weighing the carry on so assume worst case scenario

2. Can we add the sports allowance later or when we book?  You can add the extra dive allowance later / up to 2 wks prior to flt departure.  We have to order the group allowances all together so they must be paid in full 2 weeks prior for us to order them.

Those Wishing To Purchase the Sport Allowance Pkg for $100 total (Must be paid in full by MIDNIGHT Feb 13)

1. Kamala aka WreckWench $100 pd

2. Ellen aka SeaLassie  $100 pd

3. Butch aka CajunDiver $100 pd

4. Sandra aka DiverSandra $100 pd

5. Larry aka Orcaman $100 pd

6. Handy & Penny - 1 extra bag so $100

7. Karen & Joe - 2 extra bags so $200

8. Bruce aka gobie - $100 pd

9. Jim aka JKDiver - $100 pd

10. Vic aka     - $100 pd

Edited by WreckWench, 22 February 2015 - 01:20 PM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Kimbuddha

Kimbuddha

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:241

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:01 PM

Wow this is new. It's been 2 bags international before. Oh well since I'm not flying with you guys and I'm staying 5 weeks I guess I'm paying an extra $240 RT.
If you change the way you look at things...the things you look at change.

#3 SeaLassie

SeaLassie

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW - NITROX
  • Logged Dives:320

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:58 PM

I just paid $100 for the prepaid baggage allowance.  I highly recommend it.

FYI - I did a Fiji trip in both 2012 & 2013.  I had a very different experience with each trip.

Both trips on the outgoing flights - I checked my bags from Seattle through to Nadi.  Alaska Airlines (partners with Fiji Airways) honored my prepaid baggage allowance so I paid nothing more for the second 50 pound bag on check in.

The 2012 trip, when I was checking in at Air Pacific (now Fiji Airways) at LAX they wanted to weigh my carry on.  My carry on weighs 8 pounds EMPTY.  15 pounds is ridiculous!  I played the cancer card and said I had to have my meds and this and that.  I was handing things to the people I was with trying to lighten my bag.  The agent finally did let me pass. I had to repack my whole damn bag. Then when I got to security they were asking people if they had a laptop. When they said yes and got a pass I decided I had nothing to loose.  When they asked me if I had a laptop I smiled and said yes and they let me pass.  I did not have a laptop.  For some reason you could be over 15 pounds with a laptop. Totally stupid. The 2013 trip I came prepared.  I bought a Scotte Vest (lots of pockets) so I could lighten my carry on if I had to.  I had the SAME carry on bag as the first trip.  They didn't weigh it, they didn't ask if I had a computer - they didn't care what I was carrying on or how much it weighed.  Go figure.

Where they have you is on the return flight checking in from Nadi to LAX.  That second bag is gonna be $120.  If it's over 50 pounds you're looking at $170. On the return flights for both trips they didn't care how much my carry on weighed. But, if your carry on is over 15 pounds they can try to make you check it for another $120.  

All I can say is have a Plan B.  Consider having a Scotte Vest packed in your carry on.  If you get any crap about a 15 pound carry on, stuff the pockets of the vest to get your carry on down to 15 pounds....carry the Scotte vest (or wear it) with the pockets packed through security, then repack your carry on once you pass through security.  Totally stupid but it will get you through.  Just sayin'    .scottevest.com

#4 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

I spend too much time on line

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:04 PM

I want to make sure I understand and I don't see it specifically say so figured I would post - is this $100 for both ways - ie from LAX to NAN and NAN to LAX or is it $100 each leg?

In the Q&A where is # 2?  Just checking that something wasn't dropped off in a copy/paste :)

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#5 SeaLassie

SeaLassie

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:03 AM

It has been my experience for 2 trips to Fiji -   I purchased the prepaid $100 for 100 pounds (here it is called the Sport Allowance) - it is round trip.  Prepay and you're good to go with 2 bags checked, 50 pounds each round trip.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

Typo on the Q&A.. good catch and yes its round trip.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#7 Kimbuddha

Kimbuddha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:55 PM

Virgin Atlantic allows a sport bag up to 50lbs for free as a second bag as long as it's limited to dive gear and they have a list of what you can take. No wetsuits, go figure. I guess I'll try calling fiji airways to try to buy a separate sports pkg. I'm planning on diving other than on the siren so I will have to bring all my own stuff or pay rental fees which will add up quickly.
I've also been to fiji 2x on air pacific 2009&2011 and they weighed my carry on both times and mine weighed -
10lbs empty. Needless to say I don't use that carry on anymore. I did get away with being over limit a couple of pounds coming back....
But I had been there volunteering and they let me go. Didn't weigh the carry-on on the way back to LA either.

Edited by Kimbuddha, 21 January 2015 - 09:56 PM.

#8 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

I spend too much time on line

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:43 AM

OK thanks for the clarifications.  I just paid for the option so won't have to worry about baggage.

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#9 SeaLassie

SeaLassie

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:04 AM

Virgin Atlantic allows a sport bag up to 50lbs for free as a second bag as long as it's limited to dive gear and they have a list of what you can take. No wetsuits, go figure. I guess I'll try calling fiji airways to try to buy a separate sports pkg. I'm planning on diving other than on the siren so I will have to bring all my own stuff or pay rental fees which will add up quickly.
I've also been to fiji 2x on air pacific 2009&2011 and they weighed my carry on both times and mine weighed -
10lbs empty. Needless to say I don't use that carry on anymore. I did get away with being over limit a couple of pounds coming back....
But I had been there volunteering and they let me go. Didn't weigh the carry-on on the way back to LA either.

Prior to Wreck Wench posting this baggage option I called Fiji Airway's office in LA looking to buy some kind of baggage deal.  They told me individuals cannot buy the Sports/Dive Baggage Allowance.  It has to be purchased through a dive wholesaler such as Beqa Lagoon Resort which must be how Wreck Wench was able to get us this option.  Fiji Airways kind of owns the route between the US and Nadi.  Probably why they get away with charging so much.  On the flip side, Fiji Airways upgraded their fleet and has  3 new AirBus A330 so it's a nicer ride than the old 747. Baggage fees must have helped them pay for the new planes.

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the update Ellen. And yes she is right... we got the allowance because of our air contract with Fiji Air.

formerly...

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

Adding Butch to the list. Please let us know who else wants this. We need to get the list in as soon possible. :thankyou:

formerly...

#12 Kimbuddha

Kimbuddha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

Que sera, sera. The new planes do look great. I've already checked them out online. I was curious of the plane's layout. At least I know what to expect about baggage so I won't be shocked at the airport. Thanks again for the updates. See Ya there.

#13 DiverSandra

DiverSandra

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

Just submitted payment for this option.  Not sure if I'll need it but better safe than sorry.

#14 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:53 AM

Might be a good idea to advertise this "group contract perk" earlier in the process next time.....  Especially since this option is not available to individuals even at a slightly higher price.  Kamala, are all the prices you list including the $120 only for the contract air group? And is it RT?  Will have to check on this.  And Fiji airlines is not oneworld so no AA benefits!!!  Bummer.

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:56 AM

Might be a good idea to advertise this "group contract perk" earlier in the process next time.....  Especially since this option is not available to individuals even at a slightly higher price.  Kamala, are all the prices you list including the $120 only for the contract air group? And is it RT?  Will have to check on this.  And Fiji airlines is not oneworld so no AA benefits!!!  Bummer.

Rosa you are absolutely right. But after 5 funerals/funeral&estateplanning last year and sadly the add'l challenges I am still worthy of continuing to face this year...I thought I had done it when in fact I had not. :banghead:    Yes the price of $120 is the normal price for the 2nd bag. You can get a small savings if you use the contract air of $100 for the 2nd bag if you need a 2nd bag. The price is each way for the 2nd bag although it used to be round trip. So apparently they have used all those bag fees to pay for new planes. :wacko:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users