• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Helpful Fiji & Trip Info...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:31 PM

Currency: Fiji Dollar. Current exchange rates can be found at http://www.xe.com/    US Dollars are accepted at the resort and throughout most of Fiji. Only a few remote villages do not accept US dollars. If you wish to have a few dollars exchanged you may do so at the Nadi Fiji Int'l Airport. You will have flown all night so if you exchg money be sure that you get the right amount of Fijian dollars back.  Again most people will not exchg dollars into Fijian but you are welcome too if you like.

Credit Cards: Major credit cards are accepted at Beqa Lagoon Resort and other major outlets around Fiji, but not in smaller shops and villages.

Telephone code: +679

Time: Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) +12 hours.

Language: Fijian is the official language of Fiji, with English and Hindi also being widely spoken. Most Fijian Islanders have a very good fluency of English.

Some helpful phrases:

Bula! – Hello!

Vinaka – thank you

Bure (Bur-ray) - house

Kava – a ceremonial drink made from the powdered root of the pepper plant.

Religion: There is a wide religious diversity in Fiji, however the main religions are Methodist, Catholic and Hindu.

Electric current: 220V, Australian style plugs.

Tap Water: Safe to drink within the resort, but bottled water is always available if you wish.

Vaccinations: None are necessarily needed.

Entry requirements: If you are a non-Fijian national you will be required to hold a passport for entry into Fiji. Citizens of some countries also require a visa. Please use the following link to see if you require a visa before arrival.

Medications: Fiji has pharmacies and can refill prescriptions if needed, but medications might not be called the same from what you are used to. Best to bring your own.

Animals most seen at our resort: Fruit Bats, Kula parrots and Mongoose.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:55 PM

Internet Access:

The resort has wired the entire property including the rooms for internet. It costs $12 per day or $60 for the week.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:05 AM

WEATHER UPDATE:

Kim aka KimBuddha is already in Fiji and sent a weather report. I have also asked the resort for water and air temps. Regardless it will be WARM and by some standards HOT! So plan on mid to high 80 air temps and low to mid 80 water temps. I can't wait as I see 5-7 more inches of snow in a place that shuts down with a few flurries. LOL!

Air temp is 86-89 daytime with intermittent rain in the late afternoons and evenings. I'm out in the mamanuca islands now which is sunnier than Nadi. They say it's more overcast in Pacific Harbor, not sure about Bega island but it may be clearer just as this island is clearer than Nadi and it's only an hour out by ferry. I've only been snorkeling but the water temps are 30 Celsius. I can ask the dive shop tomorrow morning if it's different down at 60 feet. None of the people hear that dive are wearing any neoprene. I have seen people wearing long sleeve full body rash guards. I will be wearing a long sleeve rash guard over a swimsuit for most dives. The temps may be different up north by Volivoli. It's still cyclone season here. It's warmer than the Maldives. I will check with the dive shop in the AM.

formerly...

#4 Kimbuddha

Kimbuddha

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:241

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:24 AM

Update according to the local dive instructor water temps are 29-30 Celsius all around Fiji. When it rains you may be cold out of the water if you are wet and on a boat to or from a dive, just saying. I also have with me a 3 mm farmer john type shorty and a 1mm full wetsuit for night dives and I wear a light hoodie to protect my luscious locks. Those who know me know I'm warmer than most divers so plan accordingly. There has been some rain almost everyday but usually not for long and then it's hot,hot,hot and sunny again.
Can't wait to see you all. Bon voyage.
  • Divegirl412 likes this
If you change the way you look at things...the things you look at change.

#5 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:11 AM

Update according to the local dive instructor water temps are 29-30 Celsius all around Fiji. When it rains you may be cold out of the water if you are wet and on a boat to or from a dive, just saying. I also have with me a 3 mm farmer john type shorty and a 1mm full wetsuit for night dives and I wear a light hoodie to protect my luscious locks. Those who know me know I'm warmer than most divers so plan accordingly. There has been some rain almost everyday but usually not for long and then it's hot,hot,hot and sunny again.
Can't wait to see you all. Bon voyage.

Sounds like a boat coat would be good.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:19 AM

Having internet issues but wanted to get a few more critical items out to you in case I am unable to get more updates out.

1. Electricity.... although stated before that it is 220v Euro styled (two skinny rounded prongs) you MUST have a converter or 'step down' converter to step down the 220v power to 110v power which our appliances run on. So you need BOTH a converter and an adapter so our plugs will fit into their sockets. You can find one of these at most chain Office Supply Stores or at the airport tech stores. The resort has a power strip in the office but its only accessible when the office is open.

2. Money...how much to bring?  CASH IS KING!!! Traveler's Checks are usually not accepted, ATM's do not exist and Credit cards are EXPENSIVE to use with 3-4% surcharges added locally on top of any fees your bank may charge you if you do not have a card that waives int'l transaction fees. And of course you open yourself up for unauthorized charges or worse... IDENTITY THEFT. Even a strange name puts you at risk...I had my identity stolen years ago when it was not as common as it is today. Trust me...its a nightmare to  fight it and can cause serious credit problems, loss, etc. For what? A few points? Convenience? Forgetting to bring enough cash?

Well we can fix the latter. Since most of your trip is paid for you will not have a lot of cash needs except for:

• Tips (plan at least 10% to 15% or about $310-$450 for resort, dive op, wait staff etc.)  All tips will go into a Christmas fund as direct tipping is discouraged. This fund helps the children of the island which is a great reason to tip the way Americans typically do.
  • Adult Beverages and Sodas... you should know your own consumption on this front. (Consider a bottle at duty free to offset this expense)
  • Snacks are not as available so  please bring them with you if you need a chocolate or trail mix fix.
  • Extra Dives you add BEYOND the ones you hopefully signed up early for
  • Incidentals and gifts you need for family and friends and of course yourself!
  • Day Room...your share of the day room and any meals/extras
  • Spa charges for massages which are avail at the hotel for about $65+ an hour

3. Bank of Kamala: As a service to our clients we carry extra cash that you can 'write a check for' in the event you need a couple hundred more than you estimated. Please do not consider this a full blown ATM but you will be able to write a check for some extra cash if you need it. I carry quite a bit to cover the unforeseen needs so use this as a buffer if are uncomfortable carrying a lot of cash. And keep in mind that NO ONE CARRIES CASH anymore so we are no longer a target for our cash...

4. Cellular Service: Most peoples cell phones do not work out of the country unless you set up a plan for doing so. They are often expensive so most people rely on wifi at the resort or in airports to communicate. I will pay for the internet so if anyone needs to send an urgent message to someone and does not want to buy the internet, I will be happy to do so for you. You can also have people contact me as well. See below.

5 EMERGENCY CONTACT INFO:  You can have anyone contact me at kamala@singledivers.com and I will relay messages. The resort's contact info is:

Beqa Lagoon Resort, Fiji

Box 112 Deuba
Pacific Harbour, Fiji Islands
Reservations: +679 330 4042

Fax: + 679 331 5139

Email: info@beqalagoonresort.com

MORE SOON if my internet holds out!  Thank you, Kamala

formerly...

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:41 AM

How to Meet Up with Everyone TRAVELING ON MAR 1:

1. Remember to check in 3 hours before the int'l flight.
2. AFTER checking in head to the gate and look for me. I'm 5'7in with long curly blond hair often in a pony tail after flying all day and I'll have a black shirt with a HUGE SingleDIvers.com logo on it. I'll most likely be buried behind my computer which ALSO has a SingleDIvers.com sticker on it!
3. Many people will be at the closest gate with a bar/restaurant so check there as well. I'll be happy to make introductions as well.
4. You can reach me at 864-557-6079

PRIOR to the 3 hr window:

I will be as near the Fiji Air Counter as I can so again look for me if you like. I'll try to snag an end seat so that bags can be dropped off near me while I guard them and get some last minute things done on my computer.

After Arriving in Fiji:

We'll collect our bags, clear customs and make our way outside where we will look for our driver who will be holding a Sign BEQA LAGOON RESORT. It may also say SINGLEDIVERS.COM but for sure will say the resort name.

Preparing to Leave Fiji:

Our Return will be similar leaving the hotel typically about 8:30am and heading to the Day Room Hotel that we have set up for you.  More details on this will be given to you at the resort.

formerly...

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:52 AM

THOSE TRAVELING ON OTHER DAYS:

Mar 5 to Beqa Lagoon:

Rosa

Vic

Jim

Sandra

Kim (Already in Fiji)

Mar 7 to Voli Voli:

Jay

Jeff

Candace

Traci

Susan

Tim

formerly...

#9 Kimbuddha

Kimbuddha

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:241

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:14 PM

Kamala, After you arrive on Bega island can you ask them the best way for me to get from Pacific Harbor out to Bega island?
It's a beautiful sunny day here in Fiji today(Sunday) for us. I will be joining you guys on Bega on the 7th, my checkout time is 10am at the Fiji Palms but I can leave anytime before if that works out better.
If you change the way you look at things...the things you look at change.

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:30 PM

Kamala, After you arrive on Bega island can you ask them the best way for me to get from Pacific Harbor out to Bega island?
It's a beautiful sunny day here in Fiji today(Sunday) for us. I will be joining you guys on Bega on the 7th, my checkout time is 10am at the Fiji Palms but I can leave anytime before if that works out better.

Here is what  Beqa told me:

She will need to be at the Pacific Harbour Boat Dock for Beqa Lagoon (across from the Pearl hotel) by 9:30am in order to come over with her paid transfer from the group on March 7.  If she's staying in Pacific Harbour they will know where she needs dropped off. :-)

formerly...

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:18 PM

IF YOU MISS YOUR FLIGHT OR ARE DELAYED:

1. Check your ins policy NOW to see what your coverage levels are for "trip interruption" i.e. your flight is delayed and you miss the Fiji flight. Check what you get if your first flight is cancelled and therefore you miss your Fiji flight.

2 Once you know how much is covered towards rebooking a ticket, hotel stays, meals, lost diving etc then you can make better decisions on how much to spend to book another ticket, where to stay etc.

3 ALSO CHECK how to cancel entirely if for example you can't get a flight for several days so you end up missing most of your trip.

4. Find out what DOCUMENTATION is needed from the airlines. TYPICALLY you need something in writing from them that a flight was canceled or delayed. They can print this out at the gate. GET IT!!! In all the chaos...DO NOT FORGET IT! If you do call the 800# for your carrier/airline and have them EMAIL you an official statement that your flight was delayed etc. If you get electronic texts or emails you can often use those as well.

5. MOST int'l carriers require you be checked in at least 1 hour before the flight and they will close the gate so they can handle the other aspects of getting the flight off the ground.

6. Call your ins carrier to see what they can do to help you.

7. If you bought your own ticket call the carrier directly and ask them for help rebooking. If you are on the group ticket pls call 310-568-8676 which is the group ticket dept in LA.

8. Try to get on a standby list if possible and if you can't get a seat the next day try to go standby as others are likely to have weather issues as well.

9. Let me know what is happening via kamala@singledivers.com so I can get your transfers set up for when you DO ARRIVE.

10. Take a deep breath and realize that its not the end of the world and staying calm will pay big benefits in getting the best alternative options to fall into place.

Hopefully this helps!

formerly...

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:22 PM

When arriving LAX....

You will typically arrive in gate 4, 5 or 6. Get your bags and go outside and turn LEFT and head for Tom Bradly Int'l Terminal. If you are at terminal 4 you only have one to go and if you are at terminal 6 you have 3 to go. Its not a long walk but HURRY if you are running late.

Once you enter the terminal check the leader board for which ticket counters Fiji Air is using to check in at. They open at 6pm and do not show up on the board until about 2pm or later in the afternoon. TODAY they used counters 55-62 but that may change daily.

REMEMBER that you have to be checked in 1 hr before flight to be assured you will make it.

formerly...

#13 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Dive Con, ANDI Tech Safe Air
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:15 PM

Kamala - what did you find out from the Siren about BYOB?  Is it worth a stop at duty-free?  The rest of us leave in THREE days!! WOOHOO!! Be nice to know...

Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:33 PM

Kamala - what did you find out from the Siren about BYOB?  Is it worth a stop at duty-free?  The rest of us leave in THREE days!! WOOHOO!! Be nice to know...

Sorry...with all lthe people delayed on the landbased part and the limited time I can be online... and NOT getting the Siren waivers etc out timely...I forgot to reply to this.

YES you can bring your own booze onboard. And while beer is free...booze and wine are not and are often pricey so if you prefer something special or just much more reasonably priced...bring your own.

PLEASE REPLY TO THE EMAIL FROM SIREN ASAP!!! :thankyou:

formerly...

#15 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Dive Con, ANDI Tech Safe Air
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:16 AM

I've completed the registration form...I don't have and don't see a link to a form for travel info....is that what's missing?
Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users