• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Conditions in Fiji, post-cyclone

Beqa Lagoon Fiji

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CalypsoReid

CalypsoReid

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced OW, Nitrox, strictly warm water!
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:28 AM

I am researching Beqa Lagoon Resort for a trip in August 2015, and saw that a group from singledivers.com had JUST been there. I got cross-referenced to the current disaster on Vanuatu, and was wondering whether Fiji did sustain any significant damage (BLR FB page says nothing yet)? Also, my sometimes dive buddy, and brother, who has been to Fiji twice in August says weather is good. I'm curious as to why your group picked March, and whether the Winter/Summer argument holds (cyclone season seems a tricky problem). Any insights on this, and particularly reviews of the trip/resort would be deeply appreciated!

#2 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,066 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:01 AM

Hello Lucinda (Cindy?) and welcome to SingleDivers.com! :welcome: Our members who rode out Typhoon Lisa(?) are still in Fiji aboard D/V Siren, and Traci aka sqbagal managed a quick FB post yesterday to let us know they were already back to diving! We expect more about any typhoon damage as well as other trip details when our group returns to Terra Firma 20 March, or a few days later when they are back home.

We are happy you found us! When you have a few extra minutes we would be delighted if you visit our New or Returning Members Forum and post an introduction so our members may more properly greet you. :wavey: Also be sure to stop by our Upcoming Trips 2015-2017 Forum; Fearless Leader Kamala aka Wreckwench has compiled an impressive list of trips to entice intrepid spirits! Whether halfway around the globe or closer to home, the water is always warm as the convivial group you will find along on our trips! :diver:

Again, welcome!

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:14 PM

Bula from Fiji! Just saw this and thought I'd reply!

1. There was no damage from the cyclone to BLR. Fiji is hundreds of islands and sadly one of them did sustain damage and the loss of life. Our prayers go out to them and their families.

2. We chose March because the 10 day iveaboard option we wanted to do focuses on this time since its great diving. The water is warm 85-86 and it is a perfect diving in the dead of US winter.

3. Speaking of winter... everyone wants to go diving in Jan-March to get out of the cold. (Did I mention the water here is 85-86?)

4. Cyclone season runs from Nov to April but Fiji has not had one in several years. We were able to move about and avoid the winds and rains and all the danger. We only had 1 day that our regular dives were cancelled and we were able to dive a local pearl farm instead which was pretty cool. A couple of dives had less than stellar vis but a bad day of diving here is a GREAT DAY in many places.

5 Why we do not choose summer and early fall dates...the water is COLD....it drops to 74 or less here and why travel so far for cold diving? You can stay home for that!

So I would not hestitate to book in our winter and/or March next year. And being an agent for BLR we can book your trip for you for less than you can on your own...since we are leveraging the buyinjg clout of 10,000 members!

Let us know when you want to go and we'd love to help not only save money but ALSO gets you more perks due to resorts/operators love us! :cool2:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:16 PM

After our return we can give you a full report but the diving in the rest of Fiji so far seems more than ok so far! ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

Different season for different folks. I like it cold...our summer months May, June, and July are considered Fiji cold months. The better viz months are September, October, and November and these months are usually booked solid a year or 2 in advance. I usually preferred to travel to Fiji during these months but you still are not in the clear on weather facing rain and typhoons. Photographers usually prefers better viz and this is a higher priority than temperature. You usually won't find me in Fiji during January, February, or March because topside temperature is not comfortable for me but diving is still pretty fantastic.

#6 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Dive Con, ANDI Tech Safe Air
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:51 PM

I'm thinking I need to spend at least a full year there diving, just so I can make an informed decision.  Already looking for real estate....and buying lottery tickets!  I met the most beautiful man on the planet in Lautoka so I'm going to focus on that area for awhile :flirt:

Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:07 AM

The diving was GREAT!!! Some days the vis was a little milky but a bad day of vis in Fiji was better than a great day other places. And the viz was perfect in the 10-15 ft range so only the far off shots of sharks did not come out as well but all the shots of turtles, scorpion fish, leaf fish, and the corals and MILLIONS OF FISH turned out great. I'll be loading some video clips I shot so you can decide for yourself!

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users