• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What is the best way for SD.com to use Facebook?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

So what is the best way for SingleDivers.com to use facebook? I know for *marketing* but you have to be careful how you do that so people are not turned off.

We have tried to post pics from our trips and of course tell people about our new trips as well as post other interesting stuff from other places on the net.

But what should we be posting? And where?  Meaning what is the best use of the facebook page vs the facebook group?

Thank you soooooooooooooo much for your input! Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:48 AM

I like the idea of posting snipits of trip reports, something like "look how much fun we had in XXYZ"  com over to the web site and see what we have planned for the next trip. Or We just got back from XYZ and we're off to ZYX next don't miss out come along and see for your self why our trips are so much fun. 

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:08 AM

Do you actually say that or just imply it? In other words are you saying post part of a trip report with some pics and say check out the full report here and don't miss our next adventure to _____.

If I am tracking with you, I think I see how you are using the pics and trip report info to entice people to consider our other trips and/or see for themselves how much fun we are.

I like it!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#4 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:36 AM

Please please please I beg of you to avoid the "click bait" system that has become pervasive on FB.  Such as......."SD.com has another great trip planned!  You will never guess where."  Just post the information and we can decide to follow our mouse.  The problem with FB sometimes is that it decides what shows up on your timeline presumably based on your response to click bait.  To make sure I get all the information I tend to just go to the FB page or more often,  the parent website of the group I am following.

A lot of my friends are taking longer and longer "Face-Breaks" and some have even bailed entirely.  Younger people are not even on FB anymore.  So to answer your question FB is a good tool but IMHO not a replacement for a robust forum community.

"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#5 Gini

Gini

Getting started

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:2500+

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:06 AM

I completely agree with all said above.  The click bait phenomena has irritated the snot out of me lately.  It seems to be becoming the new "in thing."

I personally will un-follow any group that starts blast advertising constantly.  A nice classy "here are a few pics from our latest trip," posts to just give a quick basic idea of the types of things you do are great.  And a straighforward link to the upcoming trips page to let people know where the next trips are is enough without overwhelming people.

In the same vein, I suggest limiting what people can post to your group page.  You don't want anyone to be able to hijack your message or clutter up your page.

Gini
I work to live, but I live to dive!

#6 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:15 AM

I couldn't agree more. put a basic report up and a couple good pics, then a link to where the entire story is with all the pics. I hate the bait and switch with enough adds to choke on. (answer.com and a host of others come to mind) But enough bait to get some people to come to the web page to join in on the thoughtful discussions.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:23 AM

WOW! I have totally missed that trend...but then I just go to FB long enough to post some content and then check my newsfeed for longer than I should and leave.

That being said I am encouraged that the little we are doing is basically 'right'. I have some fundamental questions regarding the page vs the group...trying to figure out which content to post where. I was told to post first on the PAGE so those who have liked the page will get that info first. But with 2x the number of group members its awful tempting to go to the group first and/or sooner than we should. If we wait long enough the people who are members of the page and the group will get the info twice which is not bad if its a few days apart. It sucks if its the same day.

The group is also filled with a lot of operators looking to promote their business in our group. Brad has done a great job of limiting that BUT....we would love ideas on what rules to have for the group to minimize and eliminate offensive posts.

So please give us any and all suggestions.... we'll formulate them into rules & guidelines etc.

And we need ideas for new members? Any ideas on how to get more exposure? The right way?

I like the idea of trips reports and will make an honest effort to get one posted during the event and after. I need to figure out how to get someone on the trip to do it... since I'm usually so buried in 'stuff'. :(

As for the young kids not using FB anymore...what are they using?  Not that I am too worried as they do not have enough money for our trips but certainly they should be part of the loop regardless for long term prosperity!

And before I forget....I truly can not thank you all for taking the time to help me with these questions. They are not filler topics in the forums...bur rather real and viable questions I need to figure out. :thankyou: and you have my utmost :respect:

formerly...

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:25 AM

Question:

We have been encouraged to set up an EVENT for each of our trips. However if we do not invite people to them then I am not sure they serve much value. Any thoughts on this? Should we bother? It can't hurt so why not?

And after setting up an event how do you feel about being invited to it? I know it annoys me when I get invited to a million stupid things but I am not sure if our members think being invited to one of our trips is stupid or not?

Thanks for the insight!

formerly...

#9 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:09 AM

Not sure how to do this in Facebook but events would be good for happy hours, dive shows, and things like that.  

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

Not sure how to do this in Facebook but events would be good for happy hours, dive shows, and things like that.  

They are but you have to invite people to them. Its a manual process to invite people (as far as I can tell so far) and we'd need to only invite people who are in the region of that Happy Hour or dive show which is not that easy to do.

That being said...its still the right thing to do.

formerly...

#11 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

I think a mass invite to all trips might be too much and end up getting filtered out. Have the events though is a nice way for people who are already going or thinking of going to invite other friends to go. It's kind of where all this viral marketing starts. I think use the FB events by encouraging people already going on trips to invite a friend, whether SD or not. This just gets the trip and SD name out and circulating.

• WreckWench likes this

#12 handy37mike

handy37mike

Getting started

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Cert Level:Newbie
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

I found SD by doing a search on the web. Being the skeptic I am, that alone did not do it for me. I read some reviews and post on SD and somewhere else I can't recall. What sold me was Kamala on YouTube being interviewed in Chicago with blue hair. Then I knew it was legit. My point is putting some select video on YouTube. Some of the exchanges us singledivers have is hilarious.

My 2 cents

• WreckWench likes this

#13 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:03 PM

WOW! I have totally missed that trend...but then I just go to FB long enough to post some content and then check my newsfeed for longer than I should and leave.

That being said I am encouraged that the little we are doing is basically 'right'. I have some fundamental questions regarding the page vs the group...trying to figure out which content to post where. I was told to post first on the PAGE so those who have liked the page will get that info first. But with 2x the number of group members its awful tempting to go to the group first and/or sooner than we should. If we wait long enough the people who are members of the page and the group will get the info twice which is not bad if its a few days apart. It sucks if its the same day.

The group is also filled with a lot of operators looking to promote their business in our group. Brad has done a great job of limiting that BUT....we would love ideas on what rules to have for the group to minimize and eliminate offensive posts.

So please give us any and all suggestions.... we'll formulate them into rules & guidelines etc.

And we need ideas for new members? Any ideas on how to get more exposure? The right way?

I like the idea of trips reports and will make an honest effort to get one posted during the event and after. I need to figure out how to get someone on the trip to do it... since I'm usually so buried in 'stuff'. :(

As for the young kids not using FB anymore...what are they using?  Not that I am too worried as they do not have enough money for our trips but certainly they should be part of the loop regardless for long term prosperity!

And before I forget....I truly can not thank you all for taking the time to help me with these questions. They are not filler topics in the forums...bur rather real and viable questions I need to figure out. :thankyou: and you have my utmost :respect:

I think the younger folks have figured out that the internet is written in INK and they are using SnapChat and Instagram a lot more.  Also parents are on Facebook which if this were my day would be reason enough to run from FB.

Our organization just uses the Page not the Group aspect of FB.  (shameless promotion.......  https://www.facebook...ramedics?ref=hl)  You can easily just post events without "inviting" everyone.  Not a big deal.  And you can put posts in the hopper to post into the future.  This is a great function as you could have FB post whilst you were off the grid.

I don't think FB would be a replacement for the forums just an adjunct to and another marketing tool. 

• WreckWench likes this
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:37 AM

I found SD by doing a search on the web. Being the skeptic I am, that alone did not do it for me. I read some reviews and post on SD and somewhere else I can't recall. What sold me was Kamala on YouTube being interviewed in Chicago with blue hair. Then I knew it was legit. My point is putting some select video on YouTube. Some of the exchanges us singledivers have is hilarious.

My 2 cents

Great feedback Mike!  And we do have a utube channel so we'll get some stuff loaded on it so we can appear more legit!  And I'll get that great interview on our new website! It was pretty good wasn't it?

formerly...

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

Thank you Fred...great feedback and it helps me to have other perspectives. :respect:  For sure we won't do away with the forums and with everyone's help I am slowly leaning better how to use Facebook for marketing!

I think the younger folks have figured out that the internet is written in INK and they are using SnapChat and Instagram a lot more.  Also parents are on Facebook which if this were my day would be reason enough to run from FB.

Our organization just uses the Page not the Group aspect of FB.  (shameless promotion.......  https://www.facebook...ramedics?ref=hl)  You can easily just post events without "inviting" everyone.  Not a big deal.  And you can put posts in the hopper to post into the future.  This is a great function as you could have FB post whilst you were off the grid.

I don't think FB would be a replacement for the forums just an adjunct to and another marketing tool. 

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users